Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 AM

858 posts, read 1,806,644 times

Advertisements

We're trying to decide between 2 houses and while I do know that nobody else can make the decision for us, I just want some outside opinions since we are really stuck. Both have things we like and things we don't. We need a workshop space, min 3br, 1.5bth. and storage space. Garage would be nice but not needed.

Both are raised ranch homes (meaning the basement is only 1/2 way in the ground and it has full size windows.)

House 1: It's 1352 sqft in each floor. In the daylight basement is the kitchen, half bath, dining and living room and double garage. Above there are 4 bedrooms, 2 baths and a small den. Has a detached garage/workshop. Needs TLC, new full bathroom, paint and refinish floors). It's 30K cheaper and taxes are cheaper. Town with avg price of $440K, located close to a county road (has traffic during peak hours, quiet at night). Build 1963.

House 2: It's 1104 sqft each floor. Daylight basement has the mudroom, laundry, family room and a bonus room, all finished. Above is the living, dining, kitchen, 1.5 baths and 3 bedrooms (smaller than the other house bedrooms). No garage. Move in condition, just painted and new carpet. Town with avg price of $375K, higher taxes ($800 more/year than house 1 being smaller). Located in shortcut road in the neighborhood. Build 1989.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I've been in houses similar to #1. I also grew up in a raised ranch type house. My grandparents house also had a kitchen in the basement of a raised ranch type house. From those experiences I know that even with windows, it is darker. I could never live in one that had the main living areas in the basement.

Personally I would choose house #2. It also seems to need less work. Throw in the busy street with house 1 and house 2 is even more appealing if the smaller size doesn't matter. House 1 sounds like more $ now and in the future.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,851 times
I would skip on a raised ranch house, they are ugly, difficult to modify, poor floor plan, they tend to feel dark and small. Ranch or bungalow is a better fit, although, the center hall colonial would be my first choice.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We're trying to decide between 2 houses... Both are raised ranch homes

House 1: It's 1352 sqft in each floor.
In the daylight basement is the kitchen, half bath, dining and living room and double garage..

House 2: It's 1104 sqft each floor.
Daylight basement has the mudroom, laundry, family room and a bonus room, all finished.
I don't care for either arrangement...
but especially not the basement kitchen.

Look for an older house that has NOT been remodeled.
Live with that for a year or so.
THEN consider some changes that will suit YOU.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
OP, can you post links to the homes so we can see photos?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I wouldn't buy either home. #1 needs too much work and has a bad location. You'll never get your money out of it. #2 has the family room on one level and the kitchen on another? That downstairs room is useless, except for a kid's hangout maybe.

No garage??? You may not need one, but I'd think that would seriously hinder resale. But I don't know your area.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:04 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Aside from size and placement of rooms, another question you might ask yourself is...how much work do you really want to do on a house?

Yet another...the fixer upper...will it appraise? Can you get the loan on it you want? Are you going for FHA203K to include the fix up?

The area you live in most...how do you like it to appear? Me, I like a lot of light. Not necessarily sun, but at least light. That level is the kitchen/tv/ people hang out area whether one calls if officially living room or family room or den. I like access to the outside from the back. It can be a deck a floor off the ground but I prefer, actually, a walkout about 4' above ground with a deck that steps gradually to the ground and landscaping on both sides.

So look around and see how you live, how you go about your life...or how you complain in your current home that you wish it were suchandsuch.

As far as #2 with the family room in the basement. I wouldn't worry about that. It's a good thing imo. But it depends on how you live. You have a living room on the upper floor which is fine for tv/friends over/family hang out. And that basement family room is really welcome if you have kids. They can hang out there. If mom or dad likes to have people over to watch tournaments or a football game while others don't like to be in the middle of that...the lower level family room is great.

#2 taxes are higher, but maybe the town offers more. You have the savings from #1.

The garage...if you want a project, there you go. You have the savings from #1. (Is there room for a garage if you should choose to put one in?)

And #2 is ready to go. A small refrigerator in the lower level family room and you're good to go.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Multi-story houses are fine when you are young, but when you sell your buyers will all be under 50 in good health.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
House #2. That is a standard floor plan.

And being built in 1989 should be much more energy efficient.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:00 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
House #2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate