Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:04 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times

Advertisements

Reverse mortgage....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 11:37 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Someone in the HOA should have contacted her to see what the situation is. When she sent in the note from the doctor would have been a clue that all was not well.

But since that hasn't happened, the son or someone in the family needs to get in touch to see what can be done at this point.

HOAs rarely want to put homes into foreclosure. It's a can of worms because eventually they lose it to the bank anyway. The bank mortgage is primary and they will foreclose on the HOA. Meanwhile, the HOA has a home they can't really do anything with if there is a mortgage holder involved.

It is a can of worms.

Unless, of course, she owns the home free and clear. In which case, if they foreclose, they can sell it.
Yes, we do have a responsibility for each other. In that last HOA I was in, of which I speak occassionally, there were some similar situations where it was getting increasingly difficult as they continued to raise fees to make up for mistakes, overspending, a previous presidents making a couple hundred thousand disappear. When this was brought up to the board by 3 or 4 good board members, the majority disagreed there should be any helpful meaningful conversation or movement to help these people. As one said, "We're not a church."

Old 10-12-2014, 08:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
There is probably an option much cheaper than 10,000 for fixing the house. The news station is the best option.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Reverse mortgage....
That's a thing that should not be a thing. It simply should not exist. It is a brilliant creation by the finance industry to screw the hell out of the younger generation. Now parents are able to die leaving absolutely nothing to cover the costs they incur in the final years and simply hand their heirs a bill for their lifestyle exceeding their means.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
That's a thing that should not be a thing. It simply should not exist. It is a brilliant creation by the finance industry to screw the hell out of the younger generation. Now parents are able to die leaving absolutely nothing to cover the costs they incur in the final years and simply hand their heirs a bill for their lifestyle exceeding their means.

Just what bills do parents leave that children are responsible for?

Old 10-13-2014, 06:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just what bills do parents leave that children are responsible for?
I have to agree. Most debts are eliminated upon death. Mortgages and auto loans are a little different as there is a tangible asset involved that usually has some remaining value.

The only significant thing that I can think of left to the heirs are the funeral expenses if not setup prior to death.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapar04 View Post
We are in complete shock about the lack of empathy by the HOA. Thank you, I will contact Lone Star Legal Aid and if that doesn't work contact a news station and see what happens. We are soo enraged by this!

I am not surprised this, this type of things happens all the time with HOA communities- good luck with mom but to me- I'd rally the neighbors, and see who is for her or against her and have them stand up for her, if they are.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have to agree. Most debts are eliminated upon death. Mortgages and auto loans are a little different as there is a tangible asset involved that usually has some remaining value.

The only significant thing that I can think of left to the heirs are the funeral expenses if not setup prior to death.
Many of the complaints about Reverse Mortgages are from those that did not get the inheritance (like a mortgage free home) they thought they were going to get. They begrudge their parent(s) for spending what they earned in stead of give it to me...me...me.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
[quote=cully;36844650]Yes, we do have a responsibility for each other. In that last HOA I was in, of which I speak occassionally, there were some similar situations where it was getting increasingly difficult as they continued to raise fees to make up for mistakes, overspending, a previous presidents making a couple hundred thousand disappear. When this was brought up to the board by 3 or 4 good board members, the majority disagreed there should be any helpful meaningful conversation or movement to help these people. As one said, "We're not a church."[/quote]

Nor a good neighbor either,,- how easily they forget how this country stood in war and financial ruins, 9-11s -- together

Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
This is why I will never ever ever purchase a home with a HOA or anything like it. Not only do fees get exorbitantly high, but they invariably are run by jackbooted Nazis who want to have total control over what you do (or do not do) to your house. Some of the homes I've been looking at lately have HOA fees higher than the mortgage would be.

A HOA gives me nothing - NOTHING - that I attach any value to. I don't care if my neighbor's house is painted purple with pink stripes. I don't care if his grass isn't cut to regulation height - if its an actual hazard in some way, there are existing city rules to take care of that as well. Or - maybe I'll go mow it for him or her, if there is illness, disability, etc involved. And I'm not that spry myself.

I don't want a "clubhouse", nor a "community pool", nor tennis courts, nor a gate across the street to keep the riff-raff out. That's probably me anyway. If my neighbors have a boat and/or RV in their driveway, more power to 'em. I hope they get to enjoy them as much as possible.

Maybe someday somebody will put 6 cars on blocks in their front yard (again, city regulations will take care of that). At least I won't be spending $400 or $500 a month so somebody can abscond with several hundred thousand dollars, or waste the money putting up a fancy new "clubhouse" I'll never use - leaving the elderly residents who have been paying HOA fees for decades to be evicted because "this isn't a church".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate