Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 52,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Agree with you on concerns about the agent, if I was an agent I'd hang up on anyone that wanted to just get an idea what the house was worth. I'd be working to buy and sell and houses, not to provide free estimates to people that were maybe interested in doing business at some point in the future.
If an agent wasn't willing to give me an estimate on house unless I was ready at the moment to sign the listing agreement, wouldn't even consider them. When I sold my house two years ago, I was about 6 months from wanting to put my house on the market but wanted to get an idea of what it was worth and find out about the market. I contacted 3 real estate agents and interviewed them and they came to my house and gave me an estimate and in six months I decided on one of the agents and they successfully sold my home. No one hung up on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
Doing a general comparative market analysis is not difficult or time consuming for a good agent. Making a connection with someone who is thinking of buying or selling (or both) and providing a service based on my experience and access to the MLS database is a great way to build a client base. Without a client base, it's pretty hard to be "working to buy and sell houses."

It's part of the service I provide as an agent. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't. Happy to do it either way.

Dover, you can see that I and others on this thread are very alarmed by your agent's behavior and attitude. I don't think anyone was being harsh in saying, essentially, you have made your bed if you stay with her. It may well work out for you. Raising the price to market level was a really smart, good first step. But I personally, as a seller, would not want to go through the process with someone who very clearly doesn't have my best interest in mind.

I wish you the best and I hope you will update us soon with news that proves us all wrong! All posters here, I think, just want things to work out well for you.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:53 AM

34 posts, read 48,923 times
Thx montanama

I agree with you on thoughts of many of the posters.

And as always I always lay in the bed I make. If things don't work out for me I'll try very hard not to post about it!!

I will keep the thread updated.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:38 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Agree with you on concerns about the agent, if I was an agent I'd hang up on anyone that wanted to just get an idea what the house was worth. I'd be working to buy and sell and houses, not to provide free estimates to people that were maybe interested in doing business at some point in the future.
Ah, but the person who is just kicking tires to find out what the house is worth almost always has a reason to ask . . . otherwise, honestly, they really don't care too much. Prices go up, prices go down -- it isn't until you are thinking about doing something that you start to wonder. I mean, how long does a quick CMA take you? Five minutes? You spend that much time in the line at Starbucks.

So go ahead and hang up on 'em. We'll be happy to chat with them. :-)

Old 10-07-2014, 01:27 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dover there View Post
Thx montanama

And as always I always lay in the bed I make. If things don't work out for me I'll try very hard not to post about it!!

Oh, you can't leave us hanging now!

It will probably be okay. I'm assuming you've made it somewhat clear to her that you are suspicious of the way she's handled this. Hopefully that will motivate her to walk the straight and narrow on your deal. I still feel sad that you are working with an agent who is at the very least not completely focused on doing a great job for you and protecting your interests. There are so many out there who love what they do, do it well, and really go the extra mile for their clients.

I get really embarrassed when someone like this turns up and gives us all a black eye.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Thx montanama

The only problem is that you could potentially be looking at some relatively potentially large financial losses. I mean if the house is underpriced by say anywhere from 5-10-15-20,000 dollars can you really be ok with leaving that kind of money on the table for the buyer and not in your pocket? I'm pretty sure you just like a most of us works hard for their money. I wish you luck in this venture. But seriously let us np know how it turns out

Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM

34 posts, read 48,923 times
Here's update

My last postings were of my concern that my condo was not on Mls even though agent insisted it was.

I sent one of the links to my place to a few friends. One wrote back that pics were great etc. then she said her new boyfriend was a RA and he was unable to find my listing. I had never mentioned my questions about mls. I immediately phoned my agent and told her what my friend said. She became very defensive and angry. Insisting it was on mls.

About 2 hours later had call for showing. Next day had 2 more showings. Also next day my friend emailed me said listing was on mls but just was listed day before. Same day I called my agent questioning it again.

I had at least one showing every day thereafter. Went under contract one week later full price offer. Buyer was NOT my agents client. So I think her pocket buyer fell through but she was still working hard to find another buyer she could rep.

I'm closing in 30 days and heading to AZ.
I'm not going to get into the contact negotiations because she was not looking out for me AT ALL. thank goodness I can read and had some additional resources.

Now after I close I want to report her dishonest behavior.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
And you certainly should. Good luck, OP.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Here's update

My last postings were of my concern that my condo was not on Mls even though agent insisted it was.

I sent one of the links to my place to a few friends. One wrote back that pics were great etc. then she said her new boyfriend was a RA and he was unable to find my listing. I had never mentioned my questions about mls. I immediately phoned my agent and told her what my friend said. She became very defensive and angry. Insisting it was on mls.

About 2 hours later had call for showing. Next day had 2 more showings. Also next day my friend emailed me said listing was on mls but just was listed day before. Same day I called my agent questioning it again.

I had at least one showing every day thereafter. Went under contract one week later full price offer. Buyer was NOT my agents client. So I think her pocket buyer fell through but she was still working hard to find another buyer she could rep.

I'm closing in 30 days and heading to AZ.
I'm not going to get into the contact negotiations because she was not looking out for me AT ALL. thank goodness I can read and had some additional resources.

Now after I close I want to report her dishonest behavior.
I've been following your thread. I'm so glad you got a full-price offer. And, yes, please report her dishonest behavior. Good luck with all!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Congrats on the offer and good luck for a smooth closing!!

And yes, absolutely report this behavior. You are doing ok in the end, but you shouldn't have been put through this and someone else may not be as lucky and know enough to push back the way you did so that you could get that good offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate