Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:09 PM

119 posts, read 284,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You probably would get used to it, but it will always keep the price lower (when you sell) and there is always a chance that it would be turned into a freeway with more noise, closer to you when widened.
This is spot on. Even if you get used to it (or put in fountains to blanket the noise), it drastically effects the future price.

I'm guessing your first or second time home owners. But most of us who are no longer in our 20's or 30's will gladly pay $50K more and live away from the freeway. So you'll have trouble selling it period and even if you do it will not appreciate as much as other properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 PM

129 posts, read 188,198 times
We bought it. Lived here three months. Worst mistake I have ever made in my life. I hate the noise so bad especially during rush hour (it isn't so bad this week as it is spring break). Oddly enough nobody else in the area seems to care. The house two closer to the highway sold for $100k more than this one. The house across the street which is much nicer sold for $220k more. The appraiser told us we were getting a "deal" because it is in a desirable neighborhood. All our neighbors act like we live in some amazing place.

So.. I am trying to talk my wife into selling and moving already. She loves it here.

To add insult to injury my inspector missed that there had been termites in this home at one point. So his company had to foot the bill to pay for termite treatments. But now I hate the house even more. YAY!

Don't be stupid like me.

Last edited by Zarick; 03-25-2015 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,648,107 times
Oh I am so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate