Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:15 PM

146 posts, read 292,112 times

Advertisements

Is it ok to go to open houses when not quite ready to buy? I'm about six months away from listing my current home and would like to get a feel for what is out there and what it costs, as well as to check out the competition. Do the agents hosting an open house ask questions? I don't think I could be dishonest, I'm a terrible liar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,268,869 times
Most agents will ask questions. There is no need to lie. Just tell them you are not quite ready to buy or sell and just looking at this time.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:32 PM

466 posts, read 640,927 times
That's exactly the point of open houses (from the buyers' perspective, anyway). So you can get to the know the market without pressure.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
A lot of people who go to open houses are "curious" neighbors. Realtors know to expect looky-loos.

But if you know you will buy in the near future, you SHOULD be looking. As rrah said, be up front with the agent. The agent wants a buyer, so no need for them to spend their time trying to convert you into a sale if you aren't ready.

It's a good idea to get a feel for what houses in your targeted neighborhoods look like so that when you are ready to buy, you will know right away how the homes for sale then compare.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:35 PM

50,117 posts, read 63,519,992 times
I've noticed that the agents on TV don't have visitors sign in, which was the procedure where we came from. You can probably slip in and out anonymously, if you want.
Even if you are not ready to buy, most agents would rather have you, or maybe just the snoopy neighbors, than nobody. The snoopers might tell someone else about the house that is interested. Or, you might have a nice rapport with the agent at an open house and use her services later.
Realtors spread a wide net in order to get business, so they welcome any opportunity to meet more people.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:00 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,163,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post
Is it ok to go to open houses when not quite ready to buy? I'm about six months away from listing my current home and would like to get a feel for what is out there and what it costs, as well as to check out the competition. Do the agents hosting an open house ask questions? I don't think I could be dishonest, I'm a terrible liar
Don't sweat it. Agents love potential future clients.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 PM

291 posts, read 334,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've noticed that the agents on TV don't have visitors sign in, which was the procedure where we came from. You can probably slip in and out anonymously, if you want.
Even if you are not ready to buy, most agents would rather have you, or maybe just the snoopy neighbors, than nobody. The snoopers might tell someone else about the house that is interested. Or, you might have a nice rapport with the agent at an open house and use her services later.
Realtors spread a wide net in order to get business, so they welcome any opportunity to meet more people.
If they have you sign in, do what I do and make up a name and contact information.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,980,872 times
Don't be ridiculous, brad. Either write your real name or tell the agent you would rather not leave it for fear of being hounded. No reason to make up info. But take their card to be nice and to keep on hand for the day you want to talk real estate.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 PM

2,393 posts, read 2,997,262 times
We do it frequently, and by no means are in the market. We like to see what's for sale in our town. We're up front with the realtor that we are just looky-loos, so they don't need to waste too much time with us.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 PM

146 posts, read 292,112 times
Thanks everyone! Can't wait to have my first look this weekend!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate