Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,077 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice from those more experienced on whether or not I should get an appraisal in order to cancel my monthly PMI. I'm clear on most of the mechanics on how this works - so this is a "should I" question not a "how do I" question.

At selling my house was:
"Sales price:" 220k
"Appraised Value:" 222k

I'm currently at 80.8% of the sales price with some prepayments. My "Mortgage Insurance Disclosure" lists a cancellation date in 12 months (80% sales price w/ original payment schedule) and states that I will need an appraisal. It lists a automatic termination date (78% sales price w/ original payment schedule) in about 24 months. I pay about 1k PMI a year.

The current value for my house on zillow puts me at 74% LTV.

I plan on selling the house in 2 to 4 years.

Is it worth getting an appraisal to avoid the 2k in PMI payments before the auto-terminate? I'm assuming that the bank picks the appraiser and that the results will be bias against me. What is the downside if they come up with a low appraisal in terms of reselling the house in a few years? Will it influence subsequent appraisals?

I (& my insurance company) have put on a new roof and we painted the exterior. Other then that the house is in the same state as when we bought it.

Location - near Denver CO

Last edited by slider9375; 10-11-2014 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Added location to appease the STICKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 12:06 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,773,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider9375 View Post
I'm looking for advice from those more experienced on whether or not I should get an appraisal in order to cancel my monthly PMI. I'm clear on most of the mechanics on how this works - so this is a "should I" question not a "how do I" question.

At selling my house was:

I'm currently at 80.8% of the sales price with some prepayments. My "Mortgage Insurance Disclosure" lists a cancellation date in 12 months (80% sales price w/ original payment schedule) and states that I will need an appraisal. It lists a automatic termination date (78% sales price w/ original payment schedule) in about 24 months. I pay about 1k PMI a year.

I plan on selling the house in 2 to 4 years.

Is it worth getting an appraisal to avoid the 2k in PMI payments before the auto-terminate? I'm assuming that the bank picks the appraiser and that the results will be bias against me. What is the downside if they come up with a low appraisal in terms of reselling the house in a few years? Will it influence subsequent appraisals?

I (& my insurance company) have put on a new roof and we painted the exterior. Other then that the house is in the same state as when we bought it.

Location - near Denver CO
A low appraisal won't hurt your ability to sell in the future. If you are at 80% LTV you might consider a ARM if you can do it at a low or no cost depending on your current rate.

Has it been two years since you purchased your house?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:13 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,060,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider9375 View Post

At selling my house was:

Please don't use Zillow Zestimates for serious calculations!

Ask a friendly Realtor for a Comparative Market Analysis ("CMA") - that'll give you a more realistic idea of what your current market value is.
If it looks like you'll easily pass the 78% requirement now, you could consider paying for an appraisal to save part of the $2,000 (in our area, an appraisal is around $450).
The outcome will have absolutely no impact on your contemplated sale a few years down the road.

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 10-11-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM

11,818 posts, read 34,317,414 times
Call your lender and ask what the steps will entail. Get them to send you a letter. Then follow the steps exactly. Sometimes they request money from you to order the the appraisal from their appraisal management company.

I am in Denver, too.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:46 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,113,072 times
I would ask the mortgage loan officer who originated the loan for you. And involve your Realtor.

Based on what you typed, it sounds like you may get to drop PMI once 12 more months pass AND you get an appraisal at that time. PMI has changed in the post-banking meltdown so that usually you can't use equity rise to drop the PMI, it has to be 80% of the original loan balance.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:25 PM

480 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
And involve your Realtor.
Why is this necessary? The business relationship between the OP and the realtor ended at closing.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:09 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,966,416 times
Because the realtor can provide comps to help with the appraisal. Part of ongoing service for lifetime customer.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:29 PM

480 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Because the realtor can provide comps to help with the appraisal.
As written, this comment is correct. A realtor CAN provide comps.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,538,228 times
Don't go by an value assessed by Zillow or Trulla or any of them! They are about as useful as used toilet paper.

I know from experience. I built a house a few years ago. It cost $180K. Zillow NEVER raised the value of the lot plus house to above $135K. It has even sold since I built it for significantly more than the Zillow value. Meanwhile, the houses on both sides of mine and across the street were valued much closer to their build prices. The houses were all in a development and were all very similar including lot size. Zillow makes NO sense whatsoever.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,966,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
As written, this comment is correct. A realtor CAN provide comps.
I do it all the time for clients and friends trying to refinance. Not sure why you keep questioning this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate