Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 AM

625 posts, read 951,970 times

Advertisements

I am looking at houses but I selected a house and made an offer on a house that doesn't have a basement. The other houses that were available with a basement weren't as good in quality. I didn't fill out the loan application and the closing won't be for three more weeks. If I buy this house and try to sell it after the mortgage is paid off, will it be worth it? Or should I just walk away from this altogether and look for a house with a basement?

Last edited by anonymous51; 10-14-2014 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
If I buy this house and try to sell it after the mortgage is paid off, will it be worth it?
Do you really expect an answer to such a question? Who knows? (And a lot depends on the local market whether houses without basements are desirable.) But you're buying it...so it's likely that someone else would be interested in buying it as well.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
"Worth it" is a subjective statement. It's impossible to answer your question without specifics about the market.

Sometimes it works. My BIL bought a house in Florida that was the only one on his block without a pool and lanai. They sold it later with no problems, but they were in a good school zone.

Your agent should have an opinion on this.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times
So, if there's a closing in three weeks, obviously your offer was accepted. Can you really close in three weeks if you haven't even done a loan app? There was no date in the contract by which you were supposed to do this?

Basements. The only thing I can think of is do you want an underground space in the event of a tornado in your area?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
So, if there's a closing in three weeks, obviously your offer was accepted. Can you really close in three weeks if you haven't even done a loan app? There was no date in the contract by which you were supposed to do this?

Basements. The only thing I can think of is do you want an underground space in the event of a tornado in your area?

The closing date is in early November, but I didn't receive the loan application yet. I will receive it in the mail in a couple days.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
Are basements common & typical where you're looking? If virtually every house has a basement but yours then you might get less for it comparatively when you go to sell.

Are you in Tornado Alley ? if so, I'd want a basement

What are the storage possibilities on your lot for a home without a basement ? Two car garage? Outbuildings, huge walk up attic, etc.

Three weeks may not be enough time to close. Still have to go through appraisal process and any repairs that could be found. Still have to do home inspection and deal with whatever is found during that.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
I have seen entire housing developments built on slabs due to perk test water issues. In some areas of the country houses built on slabs or partial basements are very common.
Personally I like having a basement for a workshop, utility room and a place to store stuff and I wouldn't buy a house without one.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Are basements common & typical where you're looking? If virtually every house has a basement but yours then you might get less for it comparatively when you go to sell.

Are you in Tornado Alley ? if so, I'd want a basement

What are the storage possibilities on your lot for a home without a basement ? Two car garage? Outbuildings, huge walk up attic, etc.

Three weeks may not be enough time to close. Still have to go through appraisal process and any repairs that could be found. Still have to do home inspection and deal with whatever is found during that.

There is a shed in the backyard. Also, there is a home inspection that will take place this afternoon that I will attend.

There are tornadoes in the state where I live, but there hasn't actually been a tornado in the city limits here for decades.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
I didn't know tornados read city limits signs.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
No one here has a basement. My home has gone way up in value since I bought it almost 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate