Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,596,323 times

Advertisements

Landscape the front and back yards. Get new kitchen cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 03:07 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,027,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Say what? My realtor said it is worth $250k, and should sell. There has been no feedback so far, except that it is too small for many, which is pretty obvious from the add. I am surprised there are no folks looking for a starter home, as nothing is really available under $250k, and when I was shopping many moons ago, the comparables were far worse.
From the looks of it that area was already in a massive bubble when you bought and prices haven't recovered. People were paying top dollar for junk back then, so in the last 10 years people's expectations have gone up in areas where prices are still depressed.

What exactly have you done to the house in 10 years? I own a 1950s house and it needs quite a bit of major work. If you bought the place 10 years ago and didn't update the insulation, HVAC, plumbing, roof and electrical, all that stuff is just a decade older now and even closer to needing a complete overhaul - which is not in the budget for a lot of starter home buyers. If all of that IS updated, for god's sake, put it in the ad. That, along with a good clean up would make the house a lot more appealing to a family with a limited budget. Floors, paint and windows are all good, but they're not the type of items that require expensive emergency repairs.

If you lived in the house for 10 years and did minimal improvements, you've basically ridden out the remaining depreciation of a 65 year old structure. That's a fine strategy, but it makes the home harder to sell and guarantees you won't get competitive offers unless the area is in really high demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Landscape the front and back yards. Get new kitchen cabinets.
I'm seeing a lot of $600K+ houses in my area with those old 50's cabinets still in place with new hardware and maybe a slab of silestone on top.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,720,885 times
Great feedback all, truly. Thanks a ton!!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,989,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Get new kitchen cabinets.
Bad idea. A kitchen remodel, when done on a shoestring budget, will not be any more appealing than the retro cabinets that are in there now, which I actually like. Clean it up, fix the yard, remove the chain link fence, take new pics, and lower the price.

Older homes with a renovated kitchen "to sell" can be a turn off when they aren't the buyers' personal taste.

I would rather pay less for a home in need of a kitchen remodel and do it the way I want to.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:15 PM

41 posts, read 58,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-tex View Post
I would expect to get in a pretty decent neighborhood in Portland for 200+ for a bungalow.

10+ years ago, maybe.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,546,618 times
Right there on the Zillow listing it says the house is overpriced. The "Zillow Zestimate" values it at 220,000 Plus it shows that the price was recently reduced. That will make potential buyers think it will come down more. Even someone interested in the house would see that and say, "Nah, it's overpriced!"

Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,085,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Bad idea. A kitchen remodel, when done on a shoestring budget, will not be any more appealing than the retro cabinets that are in there now, which I actually like. Clean it up, fix the yard, remove the chain link fence, take new pics, and lower the price.

Older homes with a renovated kitchen "to sell" can be a turn off when they aren't the buyers' personal taste.

I would rather pay less for a home in need of a kitchen remodel and do it the way I want to.
I was just about to post the same thoughts.

The pictures don't do the outside of the house any favors. It looks neglected and abandoned. I would hope that it looks better in person. Trim those bushes and just make the front look inviting to potential buyers.

Inside looks ok, and as someone who's looking to downsize your house would be perfect for me if I wanted to live in Oregon.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Uh yeah. That's Vancouver, not Portland, in the worst neighborhood in Vancouver.
That's funny -- when I clicked on it, it was San Jose. I wonder if it's just a link to big pics for Realtor.com

Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,531,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. Much appreciated.

Here is the listing.

478 Ray Ln, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

It is alone at its price point. The cheapest in town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-tex View Post
I would be a potential buyer OP. I'm a middle aged single female and your square footage plus 2br/1ba is just what i'm looking for (and it's not that easy to find in Houston, where anything under 2000 sq ft. is considered "downsizing" lol. I'd go for the home in the 2nd link though, because it looks neat and polished. Like something I could move into and settle into while figuring out how i'd like to decorate, plan a garden, etc

with yours i'd have to clean and fix before I could even get down to enjoying it. If you don't have the $$$ to upgrade, at least tighten up the yard. Basic, clean curb appeal may help get potentials in the door. Good luck OP

edit: took a 2nd look at your listing OP, you've got some nice hardwoods, i'd move the stuff off the floor, polish them up and showcase them as well. The pics, as others have suggested, need to be clearer and brighter. If I can't see detail, and zooming in makes the pic even more blurry, I wouldn't bother to investigate further.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:11 PM

3,028 posts, read 4,980,929 times
If you've already moved, why is there so much junk in the pictures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate