Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,082,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Right there on the Zillow listing it says the house is overpriced. The "Zillow Zestimate" values it at 220,000 Plus it shows that the price was recently reduced. That will make potential buyers think it will come down more. Even someone interested in the house would see that and say, "Nah, it's overpriced!"
Zillow Zestimates are a guess, not a value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,192,951 times
I'd take many of the recommendations from this thread to tidy, clean and spruce up, and then I'd hire a professional stager....someone who can put nice urns full of fall foliage, wreaths, and pumpkins, outside and really spruce up your look inside.

You absolutely need new, professional pictures with good lighting once all that is done! Your realtor should be ashamed of those pics. If need be, you pay for them and take it out of the commission.

It might be worth putting a bit of money into the kitchen to make it look cuter somehow....maybe paint the cabinets a current color such as sage green (if that's considered current) and put new brushed nickel hardware on them (fill the old holes and drill new ones so they are not on an angle) and put in an inexpensive counter and backsplash. You don't have to spend a lot of money to do this.

Is your bathroom in a similar state as the kitchen? If so, you might need to fluff it too, new pain on walls, and some staging with a pretty shower curtain and accoutrements.

Lastly, get some opinions from others on if there is any smell at all in the house...if there are any glade plug ins or similar smelly things present, ditch those and air out the house.

This coming from a lover of cottage style homes AND Ashland!

PS how is the roof, plumbing and wiring?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
BAD photos. The house looks lie a rental. Remove the draperies instead of tying them. Tidy up the yard. Suggestion to remove the chain link fence is a good one because it looks kinda ghetto. Not liking the vinyl floor but of course it's too late now. Furnishings detract. The wall colors, though neutral, seem so blah to me since its coupled with drab furniture. Nothing pops. Again, those photos are horrible.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:09 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,038,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I get the feeling the OP doesn't have a realtor, she's showing us the link on Zillow, not from the MLS. Plus, no realtor worth their salt would have posted those pictures in their listing.

ETA: Sorry, yes, she does have a realtor. I need to make a note not to ever use them.

160 Orange Ave, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

look at OP agent's other listing.

he paid for the pro pics.

still looks like a dump though, in high definition

Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 AM

30,304 posts, read 16,055,064 times
well, I think it's cute.

Yard does need some tidying. If you're not good at landscaping do you know someone who is?

I agree with leaving the kitchen alone. If someone wants to remodel, let them do it to their taste.
Looks better without the furnishings. That was a good move.

If you don't have a realtor, get one. if you do, ask what the lookers are saying about it? Why haven't they offered?

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 AM

6,520 posts, read 8,321,828 times
OP, did you counter the lowball offer?

You're carrying two mortgages so you weren't planning to use the proceeds from this sale to provide the down payment for your home in your new location. In your situation, I'd counter the lowball offer and try to just break even on the deal.

I don't know your market but I ran a search for properties in Ashland, OR 2BR+, 1BA+ between $150k-$250k and found that there are many homes that fall within those parameters that appear to be in better condition that are priced around your selling price.

Here's a 3BR, 2BA for $245k: 950 Glendower St, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

And this one for $235k: 950 Jaquelyn St, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 AM

994 posts, read 1,535,058 times
The house does not show well online. Perhaps it looks better in person, but these days, many buyers aren't willing to see a home if the online presentation does not pass the smell test. The home seems to be in ill repair and neglected. It does not look updated and shows as a "project" rather than a move-in home for a singleton, couple or family. In these days of House Hunters and HGTV, few people want to move in to a "project home." You may think it's priced right, but a savvy buyer can begin calculating the dollar signs to get it in the shape they desire.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,082,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
The house does not show well online. Perhaps it looks better in person, but these days, many buyers aren't willing to see a home if the online presentation does not pass the smell test. The home seems to be in ill repair and neglected. It does not look updated and shows as a "project" rather than a move-in home for a singleton, couple or family. In these days of House Hunters and HGTV, few people want to move in to a "project home." You may think it's priced right, but a savvy buyer can begin calculating the dollar signs to get it in the shape they desire.
I think plenty of people are very happy to buy fixer uppers - and there are lots of shows on HGTV dedicated to exactly that concept, assuming people really base their purchasing decisions on HGTV as opposed to buying what they like and which happens to be shown on TV.

The issue with this house is that it's not priced as a fixer upper and people don't want to pay the same price for that as for comparables that have already been updated, have their yards taken care of, etc.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:08 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,333,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
160 Orange Ave, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

look at OP agent's other listing.

he paid for the pro pics.

still looks like a dump though, in high definition

I guess you get what you pay for

Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 AM

9,131 posts, read 14,697,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Zillow Zestimates are a guess, not a value.
Every time there is a thread of people complaining about Zillow Zestimates and people say why would you care? This is why you would care, because people actually look at them as if they are some authority and base decisions on them. Not saying it is smart, but it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate