Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 PM

858 posts, read 1,799,383 times

Advertisements

Update: We reached an agreement. I guess their agent got them to realize what we were asking was not too much.

The septic was inspected and the septic inspector was the one that told us it needed pumping. So they'll do that & fix the electrical issues. We agreed to fix all the leaky faucets and valves and clean the house.

We were not asking for any out of this world request. Not even to get the electrical up to 2014 code, just to fix the electrical cables cut around the panel. I do see that some buyers ask for the world and we get the sentiment of the sellers.

I found out what they paid for the house and it's around what we're paying now. I don't know if that played a part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It has a septic.....does it have a water well???
Yes, it was inspected. No issues there. Pump was replaced 2013. Water quality and quantity is good.

The inspections for everything were around $1K: Septic, Well, Well water, building.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 27,072 times
I am an agent in NE Ohio. Overall, sellers have been willing to fix items, especially code issues or safety issues. But each seller is different. Even when I've been a listing agent and the seller has told me privately they have come down enough on the price, I"m done, not doing anything else. Then the inspection report comes in and they agree to do it. The only time this seems to be a serious issue is when the sellers know they are not making any money on the sale, maybe breaking even, maybe having to bring a bit of money to the table to make the sale work. Then they tell the buyer's agent they are tapped out - and sometimes say this prior to the inspection. And yes, there is room in many cases for negotiations on how much of the expense the seller bears and in a counter offer asks the buyer to take on some of the cost. Hope this is helpful.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,245,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Yes, it was inspected. No issues there. Pump was replaced 2013. Water quality and quantity is good.

The inspections for everything were around $1K: Septic, Well, Well water, building.
Good!!!!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,945,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post
The electrical panel not being up to code may hinder your ability to get insurance. This is the only thing listed that I as a buyer or seller would expect or agree to repair.
True! AND did you have the septic inspected and make sure it is up to code? If it's not you may have a huge issue should you ever need to sell the home.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Septic was inspected, both tank and leach field. All fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,475,753 times
It really wasn't all that many years ago that homes were just bought and sold... Home Inspections were rare... at least here... no one in my parents generation ever had a home inspection... later, lenders required a termite inspection in addition to satisfactory appraisal.

You only have a deal when parties agree...

My go to Broker has stepped in on a few occasions to make deals happen by paying for repairs from commission proceeds... the beauty of Real Estate is negotiation... just like buying a car!

Glad it all worked out for you...

As a seller, I will gladly spend a day or so correcting punch list items... if you want me to replace a perfectly fine water heater, furnace or roof... it ain't going to happen... I may offer a couple of hundred dollars Escrow Credit so the buyer can save face and that's it.

The last home I sold had multiple overbids... the buyers had a few unusual requests... the in ground basketball hoop and $3,000 play structure had to be removed and they wanted to keep the freestanding chicken coop with chickens...

Seller said at the price they are paying... done deal!!! Plus they sold the play structure for $800 and took the in ground basketball hoop with them after cutting it at ground level.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,041,194 times
Fight over major things, like major electrical issues (such as your electrical panel), or major plumbing issues (like a pipe rusting through your ceiling), safety issues, or fire issues.
E.g., the elevator doesn't work? Nope. The emergency exit door doesn't open? Nope...
Minor "touch-me-up" things like paint jobs are negotiable. E.g., "there's a little chipped paint in the kitchen." "there's a leaky faucet in the bathroom."

Old 10-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,142 posts, read 76,705,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Please allow me to translate using my real estate buyer to English dictionary. Let's see . . .

BUYER: It's the principal!

This roughly translates into English as . . .

BUYER: Watch out! I'm about to bite my nose off to spite my face.
I see you have been to the rodeo more than once....

Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,838,341 times
Last time someone told me I had to fix some things to sell my home, I got a higher offer with no conditions while I was deciding. I told the fist buyers to stick it, I am not doing anything and was rude about it. They left and I sold my home for a better price. Oh on top of all this I sold it with no agent because I was only offering a seller's agent commission. It worked out great for me the buyers walked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate