Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,739,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
Thanks for the input--the "red" is really a bright harvest orange type color--that is what the feature wall is in the kitchen/living area and the sunroom.

I just want some people to come look--if we get a lot of comments on paint colors or whatever we can consider that--but I don't think it looks bad--or at least not bad enough to deter someone from looking at the home at all?
You need to entice viewers and those pictures aren't it. Your realtor needs to step up and have someone take better pictures. They are in charge of promoting your place and this isn't it at all. And why the heck is there a photo of a light fixture in the first link?

And I agree with others for the second home, paint all the walls beige/cream. Too many colors tends to cheapen a home. You already had one feedback that they wanted a neutral paint color.

I would declutter the home as well, remove the exercise bike and other stuff. Leave all corners empty and take down all the bookshelves, especially the empty ones. It looks cluttered and you want to look spacious, especially at that price point.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 AM

628 posts, read 2,038,077 times
Thanks for the feedback! I just don't know if we have thousands to spend on professional painters--
Also ditto on storage--renting a storage unit just for a few bookshelves which are empty would be troubling as well. I understand though. The main complaint from the one lady that came to look was that she wanted dark brown cabinets--she mentioned wanting brown walls as well.
I will ask about getting better photos. My husband was a photography major and so he took the photos with his good camera. Many realtors in our area use their phone or a cheap point and shoot so we thought they would actually be better photos than if that were the case.

What's funny is we have had a ton of people look at the 'extra' house--and their main concern is that it is on septic (older home in a part of the city annexed in 2000) and that it is on a busy street--it's not really in a neighborhood and accross the street from an Ace hardware.

We will be moved out of the house in 5-6 weeks so everything will be out of our home/the newer home then.
I thought people would like the lavender turquoise room as they would see it as a little girls room.
My husband and I both are collectors and that was my collection room so hence the empty shelves--and his was in the basement.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,739,095 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I just don't know if we have thousands to spend on professional painters--
Also ditto on storage--renting a storage unit just for a few bookshelves which are empty would be troubling as well. I understand though. The main complaint from the one lady that came to look was that she wanted dark brown cabinets--she mentioned wanting brown walls as well.
I will ask about getting better photos. My husband was a photography major and so he took the photos with his good camera. Many realtors in our area use their phone or a cheap point and shoot so we thought they would actually be better photos than if that were the case.

What's funny is we have had a ton of people look at the 'extra' house--and their main concern is that it is on septic (older home in a part of the city annexed in 2000) and that it is on a busy street--it's not really in a neighborhood and accross the street from an Ace hardware.

We will be moved out of the house in 5-6 weeks so everything will be out of our home/the newer home then.
I thought people would like the lavender turquoise room as they would see it as a little girls room.
My husband and I both are collectors and that was my collection room so hence the empty shelves--and his was in the basement.
If the buyers viewing the place have daughters...let alone kids. It's best to neutralize the place OR offer a concession.

If you have a garage, then clutter that with all the extra empty shelves, exercise bike, personal effects etc if you can't afford storage.

And have your husband use flash and try to back further away to get the entire room if your realtor doesn't want to use a photographer.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:29 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,987,300 times
You definitely want to try to sell it before you move out- a home is always more inviting furnished. I don't think your house looks cluttered, I just think the orange/red paint is going to be a problem.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM

279 posts, read 541,569 times
Quote:

If you can't spend the money to paint or declutter then you really need to drop your price. Honestly, the pictures cheapen the home.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,876,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
You definitely want to try to sell it before you move out- a home is always more inviting furnished. I don't think your house looks cluttered, I just think the orange/red paint is going to be a problem.
That depends on geographical location. I live in Houston, and homes sell much better empty here. Our realtor advised us to move out before putting our home on the market. Since we could afford it in the short term, we did, and got a contract on our crappy home in 4 days : )

Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,987,300 times
That is true. And when I sell a home, we always move out first....BUT it's because we have several pets and that is a) a turnoff to buyers, and b) a fear one of them will get out when people are coming and going. We move out, leave the home staged, and then list. Has always worked for us. But generally, having furniture in the rooms makes the buyer imagine how their furniture will work and as long as the furnishings are nice, adds to homey factor. And contrary to logic, a furnished room will always look bigger than the same room empty (as long as it's not cluttered, that is!).

Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,481,357 times
I would only paint the lavender-y room if the realtor recommends it.

In my area, the houses I was buying and selling were geared towards families, and the homes with the painted bedrooms do well. I sold one with one BRIGHT pink room, and one painted walls and ceilings to look like a garden with sky overhead. The realtor forbade me to repaint them. Our house sold in half the time of other homes in the neighborhood, to a family with kids the same age as mine.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:50 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,440,395 times
Opinions are just opinions unless there is a concenus...

I top producing area Realtor with 20+ years in the area said the lovely custom oak kitchen cabinets with all the extras should be painted white... said the country kitchen look is over and the kitchen looks dated.

Told my sellers not to do it... it would be a crime.

Home sold for the area highest price ever and with multiple overbids.

The Realtor came back to say just how surprised he was... the buyers were coming from a Town home where everything was white with a black and white floor and it was all the stain grade cabinets, doors, floors and trim they fell in love with.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:36 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,894,206 times
If your house is listed on a Friday, it's not likely you'll have any showings that weekend. Folks need time to see the listings, choose which ones to see, contact the Realtor and schedule a showing, etc. Although with the internet folks can now search the MLS on their own, you may have had some drive by prospective clients or some folks who Google walked your street if your street is in Google's street view.

As for time on the market, the last two houses we bought were listed for less than 24 hours before we put an offer on them. Although they were priced low enough that we didn't even need a walk through to buy them, so that wouldn't be comparable to your sale.

For the pictures, the first house seems very seventies, you may want to play up the "retro" aspect. Which would then be a reason to have the picture of the light fixture in there.

For the second house, well, it's a "bit colorful" with poor staging. If the price is low, that can be overlooked, but if the price is high, then it wouldn't take much before someone chose a different listing to schedule a showing. Can you borrow a picture or two from someone to put on the walls to make the orange curtain in the living room not the only bright thing in the room? The orange statement wall makes quite the statement, although I'm not sure if it would be one I'd be thrilled to hear.

The colors in the "girl's" room would be enough to pretty much put me off the whole house. Partly because it clashes with the orange and you wonder if the whole house will have color issues. The outside of the house is rather staid and stuffy in the way I look at things, then to have the inside of the house try for frantic color bursts just jars with how I perceive the house. Maybe a coat of Kilz white in the girl's room would help mellow the interior. Or just delete those shots from the line up and let folks see it in person so that wouldn't be part of their selection process in which house to schedule for showings. If they seem to wince when looking at the rooms, let your Realtor mention a possible paint voucher at the local hardware or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate