Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 06:55 PM

18 posts, read 21,570 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is a follow up to a previous post I made:

How to renegotiate

"I purchased a loft in December 2012. I put down a deposit equal to 20% of the purchase price. The seller is holding the note. The note is supposed to start this December at a rate of 6% per year. It is a mortgage amortized over 15 years with a balloon payment after 10. Under the terms of the agreement, the seller has been allowed to continue living in the loft only paying the real estate taxes and maintenance. The plus side of this for me was that I would not be accountable to pay the note until the seller moved out in December 2014. At this point, the seller is interested in staying longer and I am deciding what I should do. I don't know if I even got a good deal to start with. I know that the interest rate was not good--6%. Any ideas what you would do in this situation and what I should negotiate with the seller if he would like to stay past December? Thank you."

Basically I have spoken with seller who is living in loft I own, and we are going to renegotiate the terms of the note. I can bring the rate down to 4.25% and have a 7 year mortgage with no balloon. Or we can keep things the way they are, the seller continues to live in the loft paying just maintenance and real estate taxes. I could then start to set money aside so that when the note does eventually start, it will be reduced and I will have less of a principle and therefore interest to pay. I could have a clause that states I pay the note at a later date at 4.25% as well. I have a lot of flexibility in my negotiation here...What do you think is the best thing to do? Basically it is a matter of whether I should charge rent or start the note etc...Eventually I will have to start the note....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate