Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 07:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
That's my thought as well. Also, you have to consider dumpster rental. They might only have the dumpster for a day or two during demo and if they spend all the time pulling things out carefully, they will have to keep the dumpster longer for the stuff they do need to throw away. When everything is removed, where are they going to store the stuff they decide to donate? Lastly, they will be required to either deliver the goods or have someone come pick it up and even then the place receiving the goods might not accept them. For instance, I had a bathroom light fixture which I replaced. The old one was perfectly fine but no place would take it because it has exposed wires. I ended up throwing it away because I was tired of trying to find a place to take it and I refuse to deal with Craigslist over the 15 bucks I might have received for it. These are all things that end up costing the project money.
We're fortunate enough to have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store in the vicinity. Clients donate cabinets, appliances, furniture, materials, even pesky light fixtures. They can claim the donation on their taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Please . . , lose the baby !

If anyone thinks that this TV show relates to reality - they are nuts.

About 98% of this show is fake. Scripted, edited, TV junk

As with the other "reality" home shows, most seem to skip the heating/cooling system. No mention of it or it's age. Yes, a few other shows do only because they want to show the heating system.
Many "rehabs" don't seem to show a television in the living room. Yes, some do, but most don't.

This particular show is a complete scam Wouldn't all hire a home inspector first? Or at least the "contractor" doing the work? How could any "professional" find out down the road that the house needs a new roof After the entire remodel job was done?

This show is made by idiots and only idiots view it. Yes, I have viewed it. So I guess I am in that same boat. It's entertainment only.

Today, the blond woman is putting down floor tiles. She is all made up pretty with her long hair and jewelry. No, she does not do the tile as the next scene - the real tile layer is putting down the rest of the tile. Same holds true for the guy. The episode will show him with one piece of tile and that's it. He does not do the tile. It's all a joke.

And the final costs - that's a joke. They never mention taxes, fees, permits - cost. Nor do they mention the cost of money.

Oh, and please lose . . . the baby or is it babies now?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Please . . , lose the baby !

If anyone thinks that this TV show relates to reality - they are nuts.

About 98% of this show is fake. Scripted, edited, TV junk

As with the other "reality" home shows, most seem to skip the heating/cooling system. No mention of it or it's age. Yes, a few other shows do only because they want to show the heating system.
Many "rehabs" don't seem to show a television in the living room. Yes, some do, but most don't.

This particular show is a complete scam Wouldn't all hire a home inspector first? Or at least the "contractor" doing the work? How could any "professional" find out down the road that the house needs a new roof After the entire remodel job was done?

This show is made by idiots and only idiots view it. Yes, I have viewed it. So I guess I am in that same boat. It's entertainment only.

Today, the blond woman is putting down floor tiles. She is all made up pretty with her long hair and jewelry. No, she does not do the tile as the next scene - the real tile layer is putting down the rest of the tile. Same holds true for the guy. The episode will show him with one piece of tile and that's it. He does not do the tile. It's all a joke.

And the final costs - that's a joke. They never mention taxes, fees, permits - cost. Nor do they mention the cost of money.

Oh, and please lose . . . the baby or is it babies now?
What does having or not having a tv in the living room mean? I don't have a tv in my living room either. Actually I can't think of one friend that does, neither do my parents. Does that mean we are fake?

Old 10-28-2016, 01:16 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
The couple has made enough by flipping houses they don't need to borrow to purchase and upgrade so the cost of money is $0. That said their goal is to upgrade and sell as quickly as possible.

I think the costs quoted include engineering, sales taxes, fees and permits. They seem to have one or two contractors they work with, they can negotiate costs and staffing easier in that situation than if they had to start from scratch for each project. Of all the costs quoted I think the contractors are giving lower bids that what would happen in Portland, Seattle or San Francisco.

Early on I saw the wife helping with the construction, but not for projects in the last couple years (note you are often seeing re-runs). I agree the wife is always 'well turned out' but from what I have seen on the internet many male viewers see her as 'eye candy'. No one wants to look like * in front of a camera.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
The couple has made enough by flipping houses they don't need to borrow to purchase and upgrade so the cost of money is $0. That said their goal is to upgrade and sell as quickly as possible.
It is not their money being used. The money is provided by the producers of the show. They are not getting the profit or taking a loss if the project loses money. I have seen on this thread, that they get $10,000 per episode. They are actors paid to do the job.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is not their money being used. The money is provided by the producers of the show. They are not getting the profit or taking a loss if the project loses money. I have seen on this thread, that they get $10,000 per episode. They are actors paid to do the job.
Nope, you are wrong, they aren't just paid actors.

They started this business years ago, and are real people, real family, and really do this for a living. Tarek decided to make a video of what they do for rehabs, and he sent it into HGTV and the producers created this show.

They get paid $10k a show for the rights to film a portion of some of the houses they do in real life.

It is quite obvious that they re-stage scene's, and do multiple house filming over a period of time, and then piece the shows together. Any one show is NOT done completely in a linear time-frame. You can see that especially this season, as Tarek got a SHORT haircut, and it switches back and forth from show to show, and sometimes scene to scene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_or_Flop

Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I watched this one a few times but can't get into it since it's pretty much the same each time. Tarek freaks out about something, Christina pretends to shop and pretends to do some work...bare handed with those nails and doing gardening? Haha! They use the same materials in many of the flips because they probably buy in bulk and know it's neutral enough to not look weird. But very few of those shows are any more than scripts with written drama and filming the before and after. Personally I'd be happy to see before and after's without any humans but I guess most people like the "reality tv" part of it.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Purely entertainment TV. Is the couple realistic? No.

Is it entertaining to watch? When nothing else is on, it's great background noise.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:04 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
Flip or Flop is just like all these other shows. It starts out with flipping homes then seminars on how to flip and then ultimately getting sue.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I watched this one a few times but can't get into it since it's pretty much the same each time. Tarek freaks out about something, Christina pretends to shop and pretends to do some work...bare handed with those nails and doing gardening? Haha! They use the same materials in many of the flips because they probably buy in bulk and know it's neutral enough to not look weird. But very few of those shows are any more than scripts with written drama and filming the before and after. Personally I'd be happy to see before and after's without any humans but I guess most people like the "reality tv" part of it.
Thank you! I've said this several times. It's a formula that works for them, but it makes for boring viewing. Flip? Yeah, the channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate