Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,139,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
you'd be surprised how cheap granite and cabinets are here in cali. There are warehouses full of them, and they're cheaply imported from china.

You don't believe the pricing because you are used to seeing Home Depot's ripoff prices on both granite and cabs.
Yeah, a few years ago I went to some little "mom and pop" furniture store in Orange County and bought a really nice bedroom set. Dovetail joints and very solid. But I had to wait for delivery from China. I picked it up myself from the port in Long Beach, fresh off the boat. There was even Chinese newspaper in the packing lol! But I got the bed, dresser and two night stands for about $750. Maybe the fact that things coming from Asia don't have to factor in trucking across the country makes them cheaper in SoCal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,038,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, a few years ago I went to some little "mom and pop" furniture store in Orange County and bought a really nice bedroom set. Dovetail joints and very solid. But I had to wait for delivery from China. I picked it up myself from the port in Long Beach, fresh off the boat. There was even Chinese newspaper in the packing lol! But I got the bed, dresser and two night stands for about $750. Maybe the fact that things coming from Asia don't have to factor in trucking across the country makes them cheaper in SoCal?

that's probably it. Getting imports is cheap in california.

You should see how many cabinet warehouses we have here. 2 sides of a 10x10 kitchen for under $3000, maple, cherry, and other kinds of wood, with plywood box. no particle board crap.
ready to assemble.

Granite is cheap as hell too. None of your home depot exorbitant rip off prices.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,698,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The reno prices on that and most of the HGTV shows are incredibly low. Maybe we always used the wrong contractors on our home. $10K for a kitchen remodel? On what planet?
I've redid a complete kitchen for under $4000 when I did the work myself. It is doable. The prices they pay are not what you pay for one off jobs. Their contractors likely give them a big break for basically doing bulk jobs and constant stream of work. They also likely have deals with all of their suppliers. It is no different than buying a car. If you went to the dealer and bought all of the parts separately a Kia Soul would probably cost you $200,000. Buy one from completely built : $15,000.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM

79 posts, read 152,911 times
Furniture store in Thailand.....100% solid hardwood table and four chairs....550 usd.
Attached Thumbnails
How realistic is Flip or Flop-10556452_886689311360819_237972653085350560_n.jpg  

Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM

10 posts, read 17,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-tex View Post
I watched a Flipping Vegas episode yesterday, and Scott went over budget by almost 600%. The really don't do their due diligence. Another one, he bought 11 homes in Lake Las Vegas for 380K. Some weren't completed. He failed to check on sewer and water; they weren't connected, and he was still responsible for stuff the developer didn't do. As far as Flip or Flop.....she's hot, hot, hot. Maybe the best looking lady out of all those programs. No way she is standard fare in "Man Diego."
San Diego is not in the OC. They are from the OC.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:29 PM

341 posts, read 300,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The wife actually bugs me. Yes, she is pretty but I have a thing about mannerisms. She doesn't really do a lot of talking. Does the thoughtful nod and does the side ways look. The movement of her jaw is very controlled like someone that has had a lot of work done. Fake eyelashes, tan, veneers etc.
Yes, I totally agree with this one. She does look pretty, but it seems like she only wants to be filmed at certain angles, and there's just too much side eye, as if she doesn't want to turn her head to talk.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 10,575,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I

3) how are they paying so little for repairs and renovations? Is LA just cheaper for this sort of thing than Boston, do they get better rates because they generate a lot of business, or is it just low to make more compelling television?
This is a big one. I find the cost of repairs on two other shows I sometimes watch, Rehab Addict and Fixer Upper, to be unrealistically low. I live in a foreclosure/fixer upper I purchased a little over a year ago. I had a lot of help from some wonderful people I know with the repairs, but still the costs were nowhere near as cheap as they are portrayed on those two shows. I have wondered if they are figuring in the labor costs on those shows or just the materials because although I like the finished product, I just don't buy their "cost" figures.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 AM

10,916 posts, read 21,890,647 times
More fake than Pamela Anderson's...assets?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,881 times
I do exactly what they do, with my husband, except in Florida, and we are the contractors too, so we don't have to hire a contractor. The thing that I would say is unrealistic are the prices that they pay to get some of the work done. It seems pretty low to me. It costs us that much some times and we are doing the work ourselves...I mean we have our people doing it.

However, the rest of it is real.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,234,771 times
the miracle saves and multiple offers on homes that they seem to be about to lose their shirts on is one of the fakest parts of the show; along with budgets for reno. I but and fix blighted properties and with negotiations for labor and shopping around I can and have rehabbed homes with full upgrades like them for less. If they have a large company that would mean economies of scale when purchasing goods and labor. meaning their costs would be lower. But its reality TV, which is really not that real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate