Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:43 PM

587 posts, read 912,460 times

Advertisements

I would not move in with your parents. It makes socializing much more difficult than when you live on your own or with roommates. Your dating pool will be very restricted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,072,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I know a friend of mine from college who lives at his parents' house, and he has a very good paying job. My friend makes way more money than me. He travels around the world, and I just visited him earlier this year. I was just sick of renting apartments, and I just wanted to save up for a larger down payment on a house.
If your friend makes such good money, he should be on his own. No wonder he can travel around the world. I get so sick of hearing the younger people complain that the baby boomers won't retire. How can they? They get their kids and grandkids moving back in on them. Just because you are "sick of renting apartments" is no reason to invade your parents' home. So what if it takes longer to save for a down payment on a house?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 PM

625 posts, read 949,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
If your friend makes such good money, he should be on his own. No wonder he can travel around the world. I get so sick of hearing the younger people complain that the baby boomers won't retire. How can they? They get their kids and grandkids moving back in on them. Just because you are "sick of renting apartments" is no reason to invade your parents' home. So what if it takes longer to save for a down payment on a house?

I understand what you are saying. But people who live at their parents' house save so much money, and at the end of the day, they have significantly more money after all the years of saving.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,400,023 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. But people who live at their parents' house save so much money, and at the end of the day, they have significantly more money after all the years of saving.

People that live on their own also can save a lot of money. Do you think the only way to save money is to live with your parents?

You would only save approx $150/month by living with your parents if you pay them $200/month like you said you would, versus $350 month for a cheap rental that you mentioned.

If you are so intent on saving money, have you considered getting a higher paying job that allows you to save more money, or a 2nd job? This could allow you to save just as much (or more )money per month than moving into your parents home.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:48 PM

847 posts, read 1,346,384 times
There is a term for most adults that live with their parents in their 30's. Perhaps you have heard this term before?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
There is a term for most adults that live with their parents in their 30's. Perhaps you have heard this term before?

What term is that?

Old 11-07-2014, 03:31 PM

847 posts, read 1,346,384 times
Quote:
What term is that?

loser

Old 11-10-2014, 04:59 PM

6,643 posts, read 5,863,384 times
Quote:
OP you have pretty much exhausted the CD wisdom bank as is evidenced by the above type of snide remark. Clearly some people think only losers live at home. Others (such as myself) think it's an individual decision between you and the parents. I would go with your gut instinct on this; do what's best for yourself, not what some over opinionated internet commenter thinks. In the long run, it's your money and your future that's affected, not theirs.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
OP you have pretty much exhausted the CD wisdom bank as is evidenced by the above type of snide remark. Clearly some people think only losers live at home. Others (such as myself) think it's an individual decision between you and the parents. I would go with your gut instinct on this; do what's best for yourself, not what some over opinionated internet commenter thinks. In the long run, it's your money and your future that's affected, not theirs.

I understand what you are saying. This is one of the most important decisions that I will ever make, and I appreciate all of the responses, even some of the hurtful ones. I will make a decision during the next couple weeks.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,333,904 times
Quote:
loser
+1,000,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate