Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM

166 posts, read 409,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Question - if this was a rental, would the landlord be responsible for the health damages? Would their insurance cover the cleanup?
there is that risk, vicariously. Even worse scenario is if LL 'cleaned' the property which once was a meth lab and then rented it out later on and that person became ill.

Certainly one reason why it is worth having rental properties as an LLC.

CO handles it a bit different; if a property is cleaned to mandated state standards/criteria specific to meth, then its not disclosable. Nuts if you ask me. If it isn't cleaned to and by such state criteria, heaps of trouble can occur for the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm surprised to hear what the symptoms were. I would expect more agitation than anything else. Must be more from the chemicals used to cook it? But house is still positive for METH?
... there is a reason the likes of law enforcement use hazmat clothing when dealing with meth properties. Meth is a product afterall, so they can usually test for trace ingredient, waste contamination etc in walls, slabs, foundation etc. I once heard a case where the lab and property was so severe that they had to rip out the entire foundation because 'it' leached into the concrete walls so much. Whether or not that was a telephone game story, I don't know, but I wouldn't doubt it after talking to task force officers' experiences with busting labs. Just as dangerous are what they call 'death bags'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,005,302 times
I wonder how you'd know, especially if it was a small operation confined to a basement or other limited area of the home. While the chemicals do spread, there's no guarantee they'll be everywhere and anywhere test samples are taken. I know of 2 cases where people were cooking meth, and when their family members found out they went in and cleaned the place up on the down-low to keep the police from being involved. In one of those cases, the house was already in foreclosure so there's no connection between the owner (bank) and the people who knew it was a meth lab.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,585,536 times
Just another good example on why buyers should go talk to the neighbors during their inspection periods. Neighbors have a good idea of what is going on and at least could give a buyer a clue as to checking into things deeply.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,391,254 times
The police department keeps records of past Meth houses in my city or state.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times
I understand that ours does too but keep in mind the fact that the police do not discover all meth operations before they move on.

Neighbors are probably a good source of information.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:52 PM

18,925 posts, read 43,225,958 times
What is it in the meth that makes the house toxic? And how do the people "cooking" it not get sick since they're right there in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate