Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,692,775 times

Advertisements

]I started my house search almost 3 months ago. In that time I had 1 agent who blew up on mefor not putting an offer in after a month of searching. I then changed agent and worked with awonderful lady. I searched for almost 2months with her, once a week or once every 2 weeks. I put offer in two houses with her pricerecommendation but didn’t get any.

I am very happy withher but the houses we saw with her were 200K to 300K houses. We are now thinking of changing plan and buyinga house in cheap neighborhood where houses are 50K. so the commission this agent gets will be significantlydifferent because of the type of house and neighborhood I am looking into. Should I still work with her or just get anew agent who works in the cheaper neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,737,616 times
You didn't like anything at $200-300k but you think a $50k house is going to float your boat? What's the rationale there?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:20 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,774,441 times
Do your current Realtor a favor and find another Realtor! She has already wasted two months showing you houses and, although she did not 'blow-up on you' like your first Realtor, she probably feels like doing so, since you do not really seem like a serious buyer.

How does one spend 3-months regularly looking at $200-$300K houses ... and then suddenly decide one really only wants a $50K house? You do know that Realtors do not get paid for driving you around and showing you houses ... don't you? -- At the very least, you should send her a $100 gas card to help offset her gas costs.

Last edited by jghorton; 11-03-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM

991 posts, read 1,512,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Do your current Realtor a favor and find another Realtor! She has already wasted two months showing you houses and, although she did not 'blow-up on you' like your first Realtor, she probably feels like doing so, since you do not really seem like a serious buyer.

How does one spend 3-months regularly looking at $200-$300K houses ... and then suddenly decide one really only wants a $50K house? You do know that Realtors do not get paid for driving you around and showing you houses ... don't you? -- At the very least, you should send her a $100 gas card to help offset her gas costs.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:10 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,336,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I hope you're not a realtor. Buying a house is one of the biggest purchases of someone's life, and you want to rush them into it? Nice.

I love my realtor; he stuck with me for 6 months until I found the perfect house, the one that, when I walked in, I knew it was meant for me. I treasure his friendhip and I recommend him to everyone I know.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,634,762 times
People's circumstances change. *Shrug* If you want to have an open and candid relationship with someone who is going to be helping you spending a chunk of money, then just sit down and tell her that you have changed your criteria. Let her decide if she wants to continue working with you, or would prefer to refer you to someone who may be more familiar with the market you now intend to buy in. Something is better than nothing . . .

The first agent was a little rude -- a month is nothing when it comes to looking at houses, although I can certainly feel for her frustration.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 PM

10,916 posts, read 21,890,647 times
I'm curious why the drop in price and why so drastic a drop? Will you be happy living in what you'll get for 50k?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,634,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'm curious why the drop in price and why so drastic a drop? Will you be happy living in what you'll get for 50k?

Maybe it's investment property

Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,774,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I hope you're not a realtor. Buying a house is one of the biggest purchases of someone's life, and you want to rush them into it? Nice.

I love my realtor; he stuck with me for 6 months until I found the perfect house, the one that, when I walked in, I knew it was meant for me. I treasure his friendhip and I recommend him to everyone I know.
I'll bet that if after spending 6 months showing you $300K houses, you suddenly decided you wanted a $50K house somewhere else ... you would not still have such a 'treasured' friendship. Sticking with indecisive potential buyers is part of the 'business,' but, some buyers (like the OP) seem to fail to recognize that RE Sales is a business upon which some depend to feed their families. (No, I'm not a Realtor, but, I have been in sales and do appreciate the difficulty of their job).

Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,141 posts, read 76,719,434 times
OP, just have the conversation with your Buyer's agent.
Changes in plans go with the job.
Sometimes people go up in price, and I have NEVER heard an agent whine about that.
And, sometimes buyers go down in price. Your agent is there to serve your needs, pure and simple.
If your agent shuns you because you want to take a more conservative tack, then get another agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate