Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM

146 posts, read 292,088 times

Advertisements

I'm having an issue with about half the windows in my home. They have "collapsed glass" meaning that there is negative pressure between the two panes of glass so that the panes are collapsing toward each other. Because of the reduced space between the glass, the windows do not insulate as well as they should.

The windows are about 23 years old and past the 20 year warranty. I contacted the manufacturer and they offered to supply new windows at half off the current price. Total cost cost would be about 5k. The new windows would come with a new 20 year warranty.

I am planning on selling the home within the next year. I'm concerned that if I replace half the windows, people will think that the other half may need to be replaced soon. OTOH, would it be a selling point to show that half the windows are new?

Also, the home and most everything in it are 23 years old including the roof and furnace, though both seem fine. Would the 5k be better spent on roof, furnace or something else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,490,279 times
The windows will be an issue on any home inspection and the roof (assuming it is 23 years old) as well. You can't easily have a roof job done in the winter but you could get some estimates for a job done in the spring.

Most lenders require X years life left on a roof but none that I know of address 'collapsed' windows. I would get the roof done.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,620,862 times
[quote=Glopop11;37134359]
I am planning on selling the home within the next year.
I'm concerned that if I replace half the windows...[quote]
Do NONE of the windows or the furnace or even the roof.

Let the buyer decide on that bother & expense if/when...
However, be prepared for them to pay less as is.

If the inspection of a LENDER insists on doing anything...
cross that bridge and complication then.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 PM

8,530 posts, read 13,937,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do NONE of the windows or the furnace or even the roof.

Let the buyer decide on that bother & expense if/when...
However, be prepared for them to pay less as is.

If the inspection of a LENDER insists on doing anything...
cross that bridge and complication then.
Generally, this is the advice I give my clients. Leave the house as it is, make it look as best as possible by doing things like cleaning and decluttering, and then price appropriately. Let the buyer decide what's important and what they are willing to pay for out of their own pocket.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,774,523 times
Leave them alone, they may be worth tax credit to the next buyer.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:09 PM

7,224 posts, read 7,011,208 times
To sell the house? No.

If you were going to live there for a few more years, yes.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,572,700 times
A buyer could purchase with FHA203k and role the costs of repairs into the mortgage. So their mortgage would be larger, right? Well, in exchange you could offer to pay, say, $10,000 in closing costs (comes from your proceeds) or a reduction in price.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,753,872 times
My dad had a similar issue and instead of new windows since the frames were fine. Someone came in and replenished the gas (don't know the exact term) in between the windows and saved the cost of new windows.

I don't know exactly what it is called but it was a quarter of the price of the new windows. Just an option if everything else is fine with the windows.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,233,784 times
I wish my windows only cost $5K...

Old 11-04-2014, 03:44 PM

146 posts, read 292,088 times
Thanks for all the replies.

Roof: I'm not sure it really is an issue. It's in very good shape and I believe we used 30 year shingles.

Cost: if I were to replace ALL the windows in the home at full price it would cost $20k. I would be replacing half the windows at half price.

Repair: I've heard this problem can be repaired but haven't found anyone who does it. Most window places just want to sell me new glass units which would be the same price as new half-price windows from the manufacturer. Waiting for a call back from someone who specializes in windows made by the company that starts with an A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate