Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:30 PM

20 posts, read 393,790 times

Advertisements

I put an offer on a house last week, and after going back and forth with the seller, we came to an agreement on a price (still more than what I would have liked to spend). I had a radon test and home inspection done yesterday, which came back fine (except for a few small things). Today I decided to talk to the neighbor and see if he knew of anything wrong with the house and such. To my surprise they said that they used to rent the house out to a couple, but the couple had to leave because of black mold which was caused by flooding in the crawlspace. The neighbor goes on by saying, after the renters left, they installed a sump pump in the crawlspace and noticed they were doing drywall repairs inside.

On the property disclosure report, the seller said he was not aware of flooding or leaks, which contradicts what the neighbor said. My wife and I really like the house, but are a little put off now. We’re not sure if they completely removed the mold problem or if the flooding in the crawlspace was taken care of with the sump pump. I have 3 days left on the contract to back out. What would you do in a situation like this; back out of contract, try to renegotiate home price, continue with purchase as planned or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 PM

11,819 posts, read 34,323,376 times
Ask questions of the seller and ask your inspector to revisit the crawl space.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,437,026 times
I would insist on more time to have a mold inspector determine if any mold is present and if so, what type of mold it is. Some mold is innocuous, but if what the neighbor said is true, there is reason to wonder whether this mold was and to have an expert check it out. Your inspector should have checked out the sump pump. Did he/she?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:53 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,266,537 times
Some of this will depend on the state, but years ago when DH and I sold our first house we asked about including a previous garage roof leak on the disclosure. We were told that we did not need to include it as it was repaired. (The house was new when we moved in and still under warranty when the leak developed. The builder fixed it.)

It sounds like repairs were made so they may not have legally been bound to disclose it.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:05 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,889,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Some of this will depend on the state, but years ago when DH and I sold our first house we asked about including a previous garage roof leak on the disclosure. We were told that we did not need to include it as it was repaired. (The house was new when we moved in and still under warranty when the leak developed. The builder fixed it.)

It sounds like repairs were made so they may not have legally been bound to disclose it.
Even if repairs were made they would have been legally bound to disclose the issue. As I recall, there is a specific question R/T mold in a home, but that may vary by state. Mold is a big deal, especially black mold. Why did OP sign the contract if he/she thought the home was too expensive? OP, if you're already having second thoughts, maybe you should bail out. Otherwise, you can hire a mold inspector to look at it. Your realtor can extend the option period to allow the mold inspection report to come in and allow for renegotiation, if necessary. Mold inspectors are separate from general home inspectors and have different certifications, so you would need a separate inspection for mold.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 PM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
I would want to extend to do mold testing, get copies of contractor invoices, etc. Otherwise, I would back out.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:24 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,222,370 times
Always take what neighbors say with a grain of salt. Sometimes they have an agenda of their own.
However, now you have this new information (accurate or not), you need to act on it. Like others have said, ask the sellers directly, ask the home inspector to return to check out the crawlspace again (you should expect a fee for a return trip*), and maybe get a mold inspector involved.

That said, if you have big reservations, bail out now and find another house.

* I might charge someone for a return trip, but may not depending on the time involved.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:29 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,572,700 times
Perhaps he did mold abatement. You need someone experienced in mold to see if it's behind any drywall he put up.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,396,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
ask the home inspector to return to check out the crawlspace again (you should expect a fee for a return trip*), and maybe get a mold inspector involved.

* I might charge someone for a return trip, but may not depending on the time involved.
Off subject a little, but I would expect that if there was something significant that the inspector should have seen, but missed, I not only would not pay for the return visit, but I would get a discount or even no charge on the original inspection, as the inspector didn't do the job I paid them to do. However, if there was nothing missed, I would definitely expect to pay the inspector for the additional trip. I wouldn't ask for a discount, but I'd be irritated if one wasn't offered, and I definitely would not use that inspector again.

We had an inspector once miss that there was a 2nd section of crawl space, separate from the other section, and that 2nd section was set up with growing lamps for pot plants. Not a big deal as far as a fix, but HUGE to miss it. He was very embarrassed and not only didn't charge us for that inspection, he gave us another for free, to keep our business.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM

20 posts, read 393,790 times
Thanks guys for the help. I guess I have a lot to think about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate