Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,437,998 times

Advertisements

Gay men? But I keep thinking of madams and whorehouses...

I apologize to the OP but the interiors are very gaudy and ostentatious and what we associate with ballers made good (or a drug dealer from Baltimore who's hit the jackpot!). Does Tony Soprano have any associates in your home town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I know what's wrong with the pics.

all the lights should be on, and there should also be sunshine.

needs some fill flash
and some photoshop tricks to remove the darkness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,269,135 times
I think the structure is lovely, but the furniture and accessories are too much. Yellow chairs, purple sofa, red stools? The pictures also make it look like a cave - take pictures during high noon with all curtains open and lights on. Otherwise it looks way too dark.

I think if OP wants the condo to sell, he needs to do some serious neutralizing.

But as others have said, he over-improved for his building, and will have trouble getting his asking price. Especially the way it is styled now.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,476,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conon6 View Post
This is the funniest post of this thread so far... Actually the word "gay" has been used a few times here, but no I'm not gay and no we don't have gay parades, and no I'm not starting one and having it wrapped up in my condo... And no, I highly doubt people who watch sports are into this kind of style. This is definitely not a beer and burp type of space... Maybe a small cocktail party, but no football, jesus... but of course I may be wrong...

The other funny thing is when people call it something that you think is opposite. It's like "excuse me... what???". I find my condo extremely warm and lush, hence all the bright colors and rich textures. To me it's on the opposite pole of cold. But again, it's very interesting and sometimes shocking to hear what other people think. Not arguing/defending, just saying. It's all good.
I found your listing online...I think the pics in your listing, including the views, are amazing. I guess it boils down to (as others have said) the people in your area are just not looking for something like what you are offering. But I have no doubt that the right person will come along and snatch it up. I know I would! I personally love the decor, here in NYC, that kind of place would go QUICK! It does have a masculine look to it, but I am female and think it's great. Are you an interior designer?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,705,760 times
Problem: If you sell the unit, there is a 90% chance it will have a mortgage. To get a mortgage, one has to have an appraisal. The appraisal is going to be based on sale of three similar Condos in your neighborhood. Price per sq. ft., etc, is going to be a big factor. The fact that you have over improved your property, is going to be downgraded. It is based on what similar quality property. By similar quality, it means the number of rooms, square footage in the unit, etc. If the property being appraised, it would be marked down in value due to this fact. BUT, (notice the big but), it is not going to raise the value double the other units because of your over improving the property for the neighborhood.

To save problems selling the Condo, get an appraisal by a licensed appraiser to find the true market value for the property. If you wait till you find a buyer, when the property is appraised for the mortgage, it will not appraise for near what you are asking, the the sale will never close. Be smart, get the appraisal now, and be prepared to take a big hit to price it at the appraised value. Do it now, and get it priced at what it can be mortgaged at. Otherwise take it off of the market, and live in it.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:46 PM

124 posts, read 151,654 times
I found your listing as well.

There seems to be another slightly smaller unit available in the building for $90,000 less. Who would pay a premium for your unit when they could buy the other one and bring it up to their own personal tastes and still end up way below $200k?

Your unit will be a difficult sell at your price no matter what but will be almost impossible with the similar unit available for so much less in the same building.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:09 PM

20 posts, read 35,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I found your listing online...I think the pics in your listing, including the views, are amazing. I guess it boils down to (as others have said) the people in your area are just not looking for something like what you are offering. But I have no doubt that the right person will come along and snatch it up. I know I would! I personally love the decor, here in NYC, that kind of place would go QUICK! It does have a masculine look to it, but I am female and think it's great. Are you an interior designer?
Thank you. I'm not a designer by profession, I just happened to accidentally discover that I have this talent. This condo is actually my first attempt at design, never before did as much as hung a picture on a wall. I just bought a condo because it had these stunning views and decided to make it as beautiful as I could since I planned to live there forever and I got tired of living in ugly rental-grade homes (well, every other one out there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
I found your listing as well.

There seems to be another slightly smaller unit available in the building for $90,000 less. Who would pay a premium for your unit when they could buy the other one and bring it up to their own personal tastes and still end up way below $200k?

Your unit will be a difficult sell at your price no matter what but will be almost impossible with the similar unit available for so much less in the same building.
My condo is strictly for people who want style as you have 0% chance of finding it in my town. In 3 years I've been studying the RE market (I know every single house/condo under 500k by heart) I haven't seen a single house/condo that I'd rate above 3/10 design-wise, and that's being very generous. We don't have either
a) people with even a hint of talent or skills to design something good
b) people who are willing to pay money for something good that a designer can come up with
c) all of the above.

I'm 100% sure it's a). I'm sure any designer worth a dime is already working somewhere in Seattle/NYC etc. If I were to make this my career I'd be packing my bags already myself.

I met and felt quite a few "furniture store interior designers", they're a nothing but a self-proclaimed clowns. Just because you know how to hold a paint brush doesn't make you an artist. If you want another vanilla condo, there are dozens of them out there, sure. You can buy it and "remodel" it, but you'll stil end up with a boring, tasteless vanilla condo. Because let's face it, even most people who say they'd make their place to fit their tastes, in the end their tastes are always the same, as in they have no taste whatsoever, to be honest (oh, the audacity of this guy!) not a trace, and they will end up with a home just like those pictures I posted before, something beige/white with some random furniture and decor thrown in random places with not a sign of creativity or formed idea in sight. So yeah, you want ugly and cheap - buy the 90k condo next door and be happy with your beige walls and orange wood moldings, because that's all you're going to end up with, and you want something that's unique and stylish - you have only one choice and that's my condo, at this moment whether you like its personalized style or not. That's the whole point.

These 10+ pages of arguing about how make your restaurant food taste like McDonalds to sell it better because we hate everything else that doesn't taste like greasy processed meat and fries is getting old and tired. I get it, you like fast food in interior design and believe only fast food sells. Good.

Just to make it clear, I'm not changing a thing about the condo. Not putting some out of place boring furniture or paint walls some random light color. Because if I do that I will end up with one circus of a room, the fact that you even suggesting that means none of you have even the slightest idea how design works and that's the gist of it. Nothing's wrong with that, I'm not an expert on many things either. I know I'll have the hardest time ever selling the condo. I'm ok with that. Not changing it though.

Thanks everyone for your inputs no matter what they were, this thread was actually very helpful, criticism and all. Thanks to the person above who suggested lightening up the pictures, I will do that. Good point. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,887,680 times
Quote:
My condo is strictly for people who want style as you have 0% chance of finding it in my town. In 3 years I've been studying the RE market (I know every single house/condo under 500k by heart) I haven't seen a single house/condo that I'd rate above 3/10 design-wise, and that's being very generous. We don't have either
a) people with even a hint of talent or skills to design something good
b) people who are willing to pay money for something good that a designer can come up with
c) all of the above.

I'm 100% sure it's a). I'm sure any designer worth a dime is already working somewhere in Seattle/NYC etc. If I were to make this my career I'd be packing my bags already myself.

I met and felt quite a few "furniture store interior designers", they're a nothing but a self-proclaimed clowns. Just because you know how to hold a paint brush doesn't make you an artist. If you want another vanilla condo, there are dozens of them out there, sure. You can buy it and "remodel" it, but you'll stil end up with a boring, tasteless vanilla condo. Because let's face it, even most people who say they'd make their place to fit their tastes, in the end their tastes are always the same, as in they have no taste whatsoever, to be honest (oh, the audacity of this guy!) not a trace, and they will end up with a home just like those pictures I posted before, something beige/white with some random furniture and decor thrown in random places with not a sign of creativity or formed idea in sight. So yeah, you want ugly and cheap - buy the 90k condo next door and be happy with your beige walls and orange wood moldings, because that's all you're going to end up with, and you want something that's unique and stylish - you have only one choice and that's my condo, at this moment whether you like its personalized style or not. That's the whole point.

These 10+ pages of arguing about how make your restaurant food taste like McDonalds to sell it better because we hate everything else that doesn't taste like greasy processed meat and fries is getting old and tired. I get it, you like fast food in interior design and believe only fast food sells. Good.
Personally I'd wait until I had some significant external verification before proclaiming myself the only person with taste in my entire city. Perhaps you have and haven't mentioned it, but your self-assessment as a design genius seems a bit premature.

Quote:

Just to make it clear, I'm not changing a thing about the condo. Not putting some out of place boring furniture or paint walls some random light color. Because if I do that I will end up with one circus of a room, the fact that you even suggesting that means none of you have even the slightest idea how design works and that's the gist of it. Nothing's wrong with that, I'm not an expert on many things either. I know I'll have the hardest time ever selling the condo. I'm ok with that. Not changing it though.

Thanks everyone for your inputs no matter what they were, this thread was actually very helpful, criticism and all. Thanks to the person above who suggested lightening up the pictures, I will do that. Good point. Thanks again.
I hope you realize you've taken up a really expensive hobby. If so, then more power to you. People waste all sorts of money on things that don't bring them joy or satisfaction, so it's good when someone spends money on something that does bring them happiness.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,736,119 times
Once again you mention your "spectacular views"; yet no where in your pictures can we see these "views".

"self proclaimed clowns", eh? Hmmmmm. I can't say anything nice here, so I shall refrain.

Since you like it and refuse to change anything, I hope you will like owning it for a very long time.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,989,539 times
Quote:
Just to make it clear, I'm not changing a thing about the condo. Because if I do that I will end up with one circus of a room, the fact that you even suggesting that means none of you have even the slightest idea how design works and that's the gist of it. Nothing's wrong with that...
Yea. Okay.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,665,464 times
Sorry, OP, you come off as a narcissistic pompous fool. Maybe in person you are different? You asked for opinions but argued with almost everyone. Sure hope you aren't going FSBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate