Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:33 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,294,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conon6 View Post
Most of this won't make any sense to non-artistic people.

You don't see neoclassical often in real life because 99,99% of people are not into interior design/style.
I think you already know the answer to your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 35,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I worked as a designer for a huge interior design firm for 12 years, both traditional and contemporary design, and know what I'm talking about. Your post was condescending. Homes over $1M are no different. They actually suffer the most from being over-personalized by the seller because the majority of homes in that range are custom. The only difference is people buying in that price range can afford to rip it all out and replace it. I've been helping a friend look at houses in the $2-5M range, and it's been a real eye opener. The bottom line is you can't find something, at any price range, done exactly the way you want it.
Well, I'm just talking about my particular area. Usually cities have their character based on what houses look outside/inside. My city is very conservative/traditional, like I said. There's no diversity at all, all the homes are traditional inside. Some were built in 80s contemporary style (exterior), but still very ugly (to me, I'm sure most people would be ok with them) inside even if some of the owners did their best at "remodeling".

But I did see a few mid-century modern houses that were, while not breathtaking, pretty nicely done inside and I wouldn't change anything. One costed 350k (didn't sell, taken off the market) and the other one 750k (I think they bumped the price to a million last time I looked) I don't understand the necessity to change a well-designed house to one's liking unless you know what you're doing/really good at it and can actually improve it (otherwise just buy a basic, unremodeled one). I'd rather live in a well designed house in a completely different style (than what I like) than in a badly remodeled (even if close to my liking) one. But I can see lots of people in this thread thinking the opposite.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:56 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,641,021 times
I think your condo will only appeal to a very small subset of the population. I would rather buy a condo that was 100K less and then fix it up to suit my taste. I know you love it but it reminds me of what the city family did to the country house in the movie Beetlejuice.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
The home depot remodel you abhor so much would have probably been able to recoup the smaller investment. I doubt the condo will even appraise for 200k. Thinking about this logically, you renovated 2 baths and a small kitchen. All the other stuff is decor and won't matter to an appraiser.
I have no doubt that cheap HD remodel would recoup easier. The problem is I didn't plan on recouping my costs but live there happily ever after, instead I got stuck in this crappy situation, and so soon on top of it, didn't even have much chance to enjoy long enough.

As far as appraisals go, they're irrelevant in my case. There are no comparable properties. Appraisal would be a number pulled out of thin air, regardless of what it is. If I ever sell this, I doubt this will be become an appraisal told the buyer it was the right price. You should be able to look and figure out yourself how much it's worth.

As far as work done, there's a lot more than you see. I don't know why you call kitchen tiny, it's actually 11'x 9' or so (I think it's ok for a 1000 sq ft condo), maybe just a wrong perspective. The living room itself is 24x19, (but I can see why pictures can make it look so, it's actually pretty huge in person). Bedroom had a tray ceiling built, the fireplace wall with a fireplace, also the bed accent wall, and a bathroom wall was moved, none of it was there. The hallway has a light wall and some additional dimensional/accent wall built (I don't have a picture) that is not a decor. Same with the office. I wish I had some 'before' pics... Anyway, a few more "perspectives":

Old 11-08-2014, 02:44 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,038,721 times
overimprovement is a dangerous game.

The first thought I had when I saw the pics....... Edgar Allan Poe.

the darks and the reds.

Of course the darks make the place look small, as others have said.

Lower the price to 170 and see if you have more lookers. You don't have to accept any offers. Just do it as an experiment. If more people come through, be sure to get their honest opinions.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:53 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,674,586 times
You have designed the condo to not appeal to the masses. Personally I would never step foot in your condo. The colors are very off putting. Someome will have to really like the colors and style. It's a minuscule audience.

You started off 100k over other condos, and now sit on the market.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 5,476,647 times
I think it's amazing!!!

Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM

324 posts, read 833,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conon6 View Post
As far as appraisals go, they're irrelevant in my case. There are no comparable properties.
A comparable will be a condo in your building or nearby with similar square footage, beds, baths, etc. An appraiser is not going to care about your neoclassical vision. How is an appraisal irrelevant in your case? Most anyone that is looking to buy is going to need a loan. In order to get that loan, the property is going to need to appraise accordingly. Are you hoping for a cash buyer? A cash buyer that appreciates all... this? If that's the case, you've just reduced your already minuscule buyer pool to about zero.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I think it's amazing!!!
Thank you, you have an excellent taste!

Old 11-08-2014, 03:59 PM

292 posts, read 1,241,784 times
I found your listing and expected to see an urban high rise, given the type of decor you chose. Instead, it's in a nondescript garden-style apartment building. That right there can't be helping, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate