Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,958,935 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are in the process of selling our childhood home in CT. Our lawyer just called yesterday to inform us that the buyers inserted wording in the contract requesting disclosure of any deaths related specifically to AIDS or ebola in addition to any other deaths in the house (there were two, one in 1954, one in 2006, both old age/natural causes).

Lawyer said he'd never seen anything like that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:02 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,086,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
My brother and I are in the process of selling our childhood home in CT. Our lawyer just called yesterday to inform us that the buyers inserted wording in the contract requesting disclosure of any deaths related specifically to AIDS or ebola in addition to any other deaths in the house (there were two, one in 1954, one in 2006, both old age/natural causes).

Sounds like the buyers have been reading this thread!! Plus I think there was another one about disclosing ebola. C-D readers, anyway!

Old 11-12-2014, 03:54 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,270,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If you were interested in a home to buy, and found out that one of the previous owners passed away (from natural causes) in that home, would that change your interest?

Please post reply yes or no - and give me reasons either way.
No. Besides, someone could have died in any home you purchase at some time and you'd never know it.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,544,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If you were interested in a home to buy, and found out that one of the previous owners passed away (from natural causes) in that home, would that change your interest?

Please post reply yes or no - and give me reasons either way.
For natural causes? No. People die every day. It's part of life. My grandfather passed away at home. He went to take a nap after a walk in his chair and never woke up. I was never creeped out going over there afterwards. My brother now owns the house. His fiancee's skull collection and decapitated, bloody teddy bear collection creeps me out much more!

Now, if someone was murdered there, then no way! I wouldn't want that bad juju. I know of a house in a well to do suburban town where a son brutally murdered his father with an ax...practically decapitated the poor man and mangled his mother. She almost died as well. That rotten son is spending the rest of his life in prison. The house was eventually sold to someone from out of town for a steal. If they didn't ask, the realtor doesn't have to tell them in our state which bugs me because I'd want to know some psycho butchered people. You know the neighbors will talk and it was all over the media for months.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 PM

564 posts, read 1,037,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Living people leak fluids also.
Yes, but I like my wife's fluids.

Corpse fluids are...special. Especially if they have been laying there for a long time.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,987,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

That is pretty crazy. Only one person has ever died of Ebola in the US, and that was in a Texas hospital. Sounds like your buyers are a wee bit paranoid and ill-informed.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 PM

18,385 posts, read 31,499,727 times
its all in the mind, and yes, our mind does play tricks.....

The Amityville Horror, were all too familiar with. After the Lutz family were forced to "get out"...

a new family lived there for many many years, never heard anything bad.

Would I move to it, maybe, I think it could be kinda fun mowing the grass and having someone drive by and say, OMG, thats the new owner.......OMG someone lives in that house......

Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 PM

41,790 posts, read 74,837,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
The line would only be drawn at sleeping on a bed that someone had died in
I do it every night. It's just a bed.

But I'm not going to leave it for the next person who owns this house.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:51 PM

28,597 posts, read 18,634,196 times
Not if I'm stuck with repainting blood splatters on the wall.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,544,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

I'm curious to hear why some of you wouldn't want to buy a house in which a murder was committed.
After seeing the crime scene photos from a brutal murder, you'd know why. I had that displeasure and I would never have bought the Porco house. You couldn't have given it to me for free. All I would ever think about were his poor parents lying there in bed when he snuck into the house and started hacking them with an ax. His poor father was almost decapitated at the bottom of the stairs. The amount of blood in several room of the house was absolutely horrifying. I'd never get those images out of my head! I could never live there. I would need deep, deep, deep therapy to even visit that house once. Driving by it, I cringe and complete sadness waves over me because I know what happened there. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate