Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,672,315 times

Advertisements

Nope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 AM

2,393 posts, read 2,996,586 times
No.

A prior owner of our home died their. Apparently she had an allergic reaction to seafood. Obviously doesn't affect us one way or the other.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:42 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,593,754 times
There's no such thing as a haunted house. There is no such thing as evil spirits or ghosts that remain after death. I can't imagine objecting to buying a house that was the site of a death, violent or otherwise. There are all kinds of things, some of them worse than a natural death, that happen in houses that we never know anything about.

I'm curious to hear why some of you wouldn't want to buy a house in which a murder was committed.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 AM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

I'm curious to hear why some of you wouldn't want to buy a house in which a murder was committed.
I think it has to do with how sensitive someone is. Some people would be in the house and just be thinking about the pain the victim(s) went through. Hard to be happy in a house when that happens.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,259,687 times
No, it wouldn't bother me. But, I wouldn't go asking about it and I wouldn't want someone telling me that grandpa died in the living room. But, those are my feelings on a natural death.

I would never knowingly live in a home that was the scene of a murder. I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about the crime, the victim, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think it has to do with how sensitive someone is. Some people would be in the house and just be thinking about the pain the victim(s) went through. Hard to be happy in a house when that happens.
100% yes.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,305,971 times
My house was built around 1850.
In the 1950's it was a nursing home.
I would be surprised if there werent any deaths.
And no I havent seen or heard any ghosts.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM

348 posts, read 412,701 times
It honestly depends. I remember seeing a house for sale in California on the "wrong side" of town that said in the ad, "It has been said that a death occurred here" or something along those lines. I was wondering why it was marked so low, even for the "wrong side" of town, and then realized it was probably "the murder house".

If it was a random violent act, I would be concerned and look for a pattern in the area for safety concerns.
If it was a targeted act (family on family), it would not likely happen there again.
If it was a death that involved bodily fluids (most do), I would very likely want to ensure that ANYTHING that it possibly touched or seeped into was replaced. If it seeped into the floorboards, for example, forget it. I'm not replacing those on my dime. Ew.

And finally...while I'm not necessarily creeped out by death or dying in general...
There was one apartment I walked into once that smelled funny. It felt cold. It felt...off somehow. I couldn't stay in the apartment and just turned around and left as quickly as possible. I was reading the news later on and found a reference to a murder that had occurred in the area. The article didn't mention the exact building address, but the lady was the pastor's wife for the church right out front, so...take it as you will. I couldn't stay in the building.

-T.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,753,872 times
Yes.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,027,564 times
I wouldnt care in the least. I'm sure many people have purchased a home where someone has died and the buyers never knew. Why would it matter?

Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,419,982 times
Only house that sold for less near me was a couple and entire family were murdered in their sleep 20 years ago for no reason. They never caught the killer.

Around two years ago a mafia hit man under immunity was given a list of all the people he killed and brought up 20 years earlier he mixed up addresses and killed a whole family by accident.

It was creepy that the family got killed there for no reason and they never caught the killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate