Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:46 PM

383 posts, read 427,763 times

Advertisements

JBtwinz--

Right you are to be sensitive to children. This past spring, the very popular (liberal) online magazine Slate featured an advice column (Dear Prudence) where a woman wanted to buy a "lovely" house in Minnesota--just lovely, the letter-writer said--where the reasonable price was due to the previous owner dismembering his wife in the "charming" bathroom. Nearly every response mentioned, "But what about your children!"

Children's imaginations are boundless and frequently more morbid than adults. I couldn't believe anyone would just want to sink into a nice bubble bath where the last person who sat in it was missing a couple of body parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:10 PM

346 posts, read 548,112 times
Yes, you're right Only brand new houses are death free. Once a house is 1 years old or more, a random person will automatically drop dead inside the house

Seriously though, my current house is 30 years old and I've talked to the neighbors (who were original owners of their own house) that knew the prior owners of mine and he indicated that they all sold and moved away. And my first house was a 10 years old townhouse--no death either.

I'd imagine that most deaths tend to be at hospitals anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I guess you're doomed to buying brand new houses for the rest of your life, too.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 PM

23,356 posts, read 23,759,283 times
Yes, it would.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,889,833 times
No. I don't care what happened to the previous owners, even if they died in the house of unnatural causes a la Amityville Horror. I am rather a practical person, and I'm not superstitious, so it all boils down to:
Can I afford the home?
Do I like it?
Is it in acceptable condition?
Does the home have the amenities I need for it to be a good living space for my family and I?

If so, then it's a contender, in my book.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:02 PM

41,790 posts, read 74,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I'd imagine that most deaths tend to be at hospitals anyway.
You'd be wrong.

My dad had a heart attack in the backyard. What would you do then? Not in the house, but ... Is the property now tainted?

And OMG, what if the neighbors lied about some poor old lady passing away in her sleep in the house? What then? How can you really be sure??

LMAO.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,753,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There's no such thing as a haunted house. There is no such thing as evil spirits or ghosts that remain after death. I can't imagine objecting to buying a house that was the site of a death, violent or otherwise. There are all kinds of things, some of them worse than a natural death, that happen in houses that we never know anything about.

I'm curious to hear why some of you wouldn't want to buy a house in which a murder was committed.
I have a vivid imagination. I wouldn't be able to walk into where a room where the death occurred and not remember their death in whatever manner.

For an example, my friend's grandmother died in her bed. Then friend moved into her bedroom. Every time I spent the night there I would imagine how the grandmother would have felt as she died. I just couldn't stop thinking about it. It was really unnerving.

Nothing about spirits and whatnot, just the fact it makes me think about death. And I don't want to do that in my home. It's also why I won't buy a historical home either.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM

35,423 posts, read 20,805,343 times
no

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM

163 posts, read 245,943 times
No, a suicide, murder, natural causes wouldn't bug me.

Now if some gangbangers rolled up on it and shot the place up killing someone that would be different.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,232,704 times
No, if the dead person had been removed, then I'd be okay buying the house.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,359,287 times
Yeah. I don't want to be the "Based on a true story" in a horror movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate