Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 4,412,298 times

Advertisements

No. Someone dying of natural causes no big deal. Even a murder depending on the neighborhood and the 'feel' of the house. I do believe that sometime bad things can be felt if people are in tuned to that sort of thing. I can only think of one house that I recall feeling a bad vibe.

It wasn't for sale either, it was beautiful historic high empire Victorian house outside St Louis I recall touring over a decade ago which is now a historical museum. It gave me 'bad vibes' especially in one of the upstairs rooms. I think it had to do with being used as an asylum for a few decades. Something just didn't set right with me. I can't explain it any better.

Then some houses are best demolished....
Anthony Sowell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:53 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,919,653 times
When we bought our current house, I'd heard the previous owner had died here although we found out later that he'd gone to the hospital for a day or two first and then actually died at the hospital. But, he'd built a great house and it's nicely set up for older folks. I've always thought it nice that he was able to live out his life in the house he'd built.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:20 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,815,710 times
My great grandpa died in the house and it happened right in the bedroom where we sleep on his way to the same bathroom we use.

Doesnt bother me at all.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:38 AM

752 posts, read 1,484,213 times
It wouldn't bother me under most circumstances...when you think of it, if you have lived in a house more than about 60 years old there is a pretty good chance at least one death occurred in it; many deaths occurred at home before the 1950s (when more and more people died in hospitals or other medical care facilities as medicine advanced).

I know the house my great grandfather lived in for more than 40 years, which is still extant today (it was just sold last year), at least five deaths occurred there, just under his ownership: His wife in 1943, mother-in-law in 1935, one of their infant children in 1912, another family memeber in the late 1920s, and the last being his own death in 1955...since the house was built shortly after the Civil War, there was probably more deaths before his ownership and possibly more after it too (though more likely before).
My house was built in the 1880s and I reason there was very likely at least one or two over the years, if not more, though I have not yet bothered to look into that yet.
Where it might be bothersome to me is where the property is actually 'stigmatized', which often is from some sort of notoriety surrounding the person who died or the circumstances of death, like a murder. I might be a bit uncomfortable with a recent suicide as well...but it would come down to how I "felt" when looking at the place. I suppose.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,352,318 times
A natural death, a suicide, or a run of the mill murder wouldn't bother me. A run of the mill murder is something like a dispute over money or cheating. A regular person who just snaps and kills someone.

If it had been a drug dealer's house, an infamous murder, an unsolved murder would all be deal breakers for me.

I would t want druggies or criminals coming back to the house because they don't know it had been sold.

I wouldn't want lookie loos or crazy people coming to see the site of an infamous murder.

I also think murderers may revisit crime scenes if they were never caught.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,356,769 times
My grandmother died in her house a few months ago, she lived in that house nearly 50 years and that's where she wanted to be in her final days. The house is on the market now. That's totally different than a murder though.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,260,770 times
I rented a house 325 steps away from mine to care for her...
suddenly she peacefully passed away in her sleep.
There is no stigma in that house.
The coroner came and she was out the door before she was cold, I mean it...
in fact she was so warm I didn't know she was gone for over an hour!
She was happy the whole time there, but her heart simply stopped....
there is no 'vibe' in that house at all...when she left she left for greener pastures.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,973,152 times
death from natural causes wouldn't bother me in the least.... in fact, I have been told that the first wife of the man I bought my house from died there after an extended illness, several years before he remodeled it and put it on the market and I bought it....

a young mother living across the street from me took her own life in their house about 3 years ago.... I WOULD have a problem with that or with any sort of violent death.... like others, I would just keep imagining the terrible moments just before death.....

Old 11-11-2014, 12:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,097,932 times
When my husband and I stayed at his grandparents' house for Thanksgiving, they gave me a bed that apparently 3 generations of people slowly died in.
Yes....IN THAT BED. And they never changed/washed the sheets. Nor did they ever open the windows (they actually had the windows sealed permanently shut).

After that, I couldn't give less of a rats ass about a house.

I'm in severe need of an exorcism as it is.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:10 PM

847 posts, read 1,346,496 times
It may make me want to buy it even more. If it's haunted, then maybe I wouldn't be lonely when I'm home along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate