Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:48 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,181,904 times

Advertisements

An HOA in NC can get the foreclosure process completed in as little as 160-200 days from first non payment. Your friend better get moving.

That is a HUGE hoa fee. I hope you didn't pay much for the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,082,638 times
What is her rationale for not paying? Is it just because she doesn't want to? Or she's really basing this on the idea that as long as she hasn't signed a piece of paper saying she owes the money, she doesn't need to? Guess what, she signed all sorts of papers taking ownership along with her father, and I have no doubt that those papers made the form of ownership quite clear.

As someone else said, there is no lease or contract with the property management company and they do not "own the building." She does, along with all of her neighbors, and she is contractually obligated to pay her share of maintaining the building and all the amenities.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,419,982 times
the fee includes most likely property insurance, flood insurance, landscaping, D&O insurance, maintenance of roof, gutters, decks, legal fees, putting 10% in reserve funds, repairs, plumbing, electrical issues in common areas, sprinklers, utilitiy bills in common areas, security if any, repaving parking lots, lights in common areas and management agent fees on top of that other fun stuff.

625 is normal on a decent size two bedroom. If she does not pay she is a dead beat and they should foreclose ASAP

Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,777,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
the fee includes most likely property insurance, flood insurance, landscaping, D&O insurance, maintenance of roof, gutters, decks, legal fees, putting 10% in reserve funds, repairs, plumbing, electrical issues in common areas, sprinklers, utilitiy bills in common areas, security if any, repaving parking lots, lights in common areas and management agent fees on top of that other fun stuff.
+ weight room, pool, bball court, gazebo, wifi, cable etc

Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,614,264 times
When I buy property, I never sign a contract with the city saying I will pay my property taxes, yet I still owe them. No difference here.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,694,828 times
Let's take a step back. First, your friend seems not to understand what a condominium is. It is not just a building or style of architecture. It is not just the unit you live in. It is a form of property ownership. When you purchase a condo, you are purchasing the unit you live in but you are also purchasing "a share" in the ownership of the entire development. Your share and the shares of the other owners make up the association which is, when you think of it, an association of owners. So, the pool, the grounds, the buildings, the recreational areas, etc. are owned by all of the unit owners and the condo board, responsible for the operation of the development, is made up of volunteer owners. Just like a house, there are costs to keep it maintained, for insurance, etc., and the costs for all of that are paid by the condo fees. The association doesn't "make money" or profit, it covers its costs with the fees. If a unit owner fails to pay their part, it is a burden on all the remaining owners to cover the shortfall. For that reason, associations will aggressively seek to collect from delinquent unit owners and, if needed, they may foreclose.

The second point I want to make is that your friend should have and would have known this if she had purchased the property in the normal fashion. I may be wrong but it sure sounds like she gave her mom the money and her mom said OK, it's yours now. As I said above, you can't just buy a unit in a condo. You buy into the association which, before a new deed can be issued, requires (perhaps) an application and approval, and that the account be current, as in no money is owed. I've also never seen a situation where the buyer didn't have to agree to live by the bylaws, rules, etc. of the association. I'm not an attorney but I have a feeling that they didn't do any of this right.

Anyway, as everyone has said, she needs to pay up because it is her responsibility...assuming she legally owns the unit.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,333,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoylife82 View Post
Hello! Im on here asking this question for my best friend. She lives in Greensboro NC, and has recently became part owner of the condo. A little back information...the condo was originally her mothers, but the mom was sick of driving an hour and a half from charlotte to greensboro every time one of her tenants didnt pay rent, or tried to mess the condo up. So it was one less headache for her mom to sell the condo to her. So first of all, the mom sold it to my best friend. But there was one catch...since she didnt have any money, her father basically paid the mother for it, so now my best friend and her father are listed on the deed.

ok...so she has physically lived in the condo for a month and a half now. ( her dad lives in his own house) She has an HOA fee of $625 a month becuase her condo is a 2 bedroom.( the building comes with weight room, pool, bball court, gazebo, free wifi, free cable etc). She has yet to pay one HOA fee, and the letters have started coming saying that she has $1200 to pay immediatel due to assesments.

Here are her questions: Since she never signed any paper work with the people who own the condo building, or the property management, does she really have to pay that? (her mom her dad, and her just had some paperwork signed and notarized and then they sent it back to the attorney through the mail)
She never signed anything that stated she knew there were any fees.

question 2 is how long can it take for them to try to take you to court for non payment of a HOA fee in condo?

also, since its a condo, can they actually physically put you out, or can you stay forever and just keep running up a tab?

Please be kind, im asking this for a friend ( if it were me i would have paid lol) Thanks!
If I were her father, I'd kick her out of the condo & have her written off the deed. I seriously doubt she didn't know about the HOA fee, she just figured she wouldn't have to pay it and they can't evict her.

Well, they can do more than evict, they can foreclose on her father's property for it. Your friend needs to rent an apartment without help from her parents until she can learn some personal responsibility.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,419,982 times
Get a roomate at 625 a month greater, problem solved. It is a two bedroom and she has one empty bedroom.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,151,484 times
Was her mom paying the monthlies? If not, there may be way more than 2 months worth past due. If her mom was paying then I can't imagine she didn't mention that when transferring ownership. OR, clueless daughter could just be feigning ignorance and counting on Dad to catch her slack like he, apparently, is willing to do. Probably not the first or last time.

BTW, $625 is a huge monthly fee for a 2 bedroom NC condo unless it is Mack-Daddy luxurious or paying off a prior loan for a special assessment.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,572,700 times
That makes me wonder....does your friend even know about taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate