Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:29 AM

51,584 posts, read 25,506,905 times

Advertisements

Recently reading BB reviews of various HOA management firms. The excuses for not paying homeowners' dues were hilarious. "I'm a full-time student and money is tight." "I'm on a fixed income and it is difficult to pay dues over the holidays and they keep hounding me." ...

My favorite was, "Why should I pay dues when my neighbor's dogs bark all night?"

I think we've pretty well beaten this topic into the ground. The "friend" can slide by for a few months, but any HOA that charges $625/month in dues is likely to have collection procedures in place and this should be kicking in about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,408,009 times
In one condo we had a NFL football player in arrears who told us he has cars, vacations, dinners, other properties, and his hobbies that eat up money and when he runs short he skips maintence and other useless stuff.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:53 AM

8,539 posts, read 12,269,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
In one condo we had a NFL football player in arrears who told us he has cars, vacations, dinners, other properties, and his hobbies that eat up money and when he runs short he skips maintence and other useless stuff.
Yeah, when I was younger I used to spend most of my money on women and drinking...and the rest of it I wasted.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,510,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
And? He thought others would pick up his slack and kiss the ground he walked on? Boy, was he in for a shock. No one cares about your problems!!!! We all have problems!

Old 11-15-2014, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,684 times
hmm..it may be the one you are thinkin of...its its basically right near moses cone hospital (main) literally 2 min from downtown greensboro.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,684 times
There was no mortgage. my friends mother paid for the condo outright ( by taking out a home equity loan on her mortgae on her house in charlotte nc) so the condo was her mothers . free and clear. Then the mom just sold it to the daughter and the dad.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,510,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoylife82 View Post
There was no mortgage. my friends mother paid for the condo outright ( by taking out a home equity loan on her mortgae on her house in charlotte nc) so the condo was her mothers . free and clear. Then the mom just sold it to the daughter and the dad.
Well mom knows there's monthly fees unless she's a complete and udder idiot. Only an idiot wouldn't share info! And when you get the bill or a letter from the board saying hey pay up or you'll hear from our lawyers, most people with 2 brain cells wake up and say hey maybe I should look into this.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 PM

6,393 posts, read 10,191,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoylife82 View Post
In a condo association, nobody owns their unit in full, free and clear. They are obligated to pay dues as established in the association documents/covenants. Ignorance of the requirement is no excuse for not paying them. It doesn't matter if there is a mortgage or not. Technically in a condo, the owner only owns the inside of their condo and not the outside of the unit which is owned by the association.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,414,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
In a condo association, nobody owns their unit in full, free and clear. They are obligated to pay dues as established in the association documents/covenants. Ignorance of the requirement is no excuse for not paying them. It doesn't matter if there is a mortgage or not. Technically in a condo, the owner only owns the inside of their condo and not the outside of the unit which is owned by the association.
Not quite. The condo corporation does not own the outside. The area that is not owned exclusively by the unit owner is owned by all unit owners in an undivided percentage interest. The condo corporation "manages" but does not own this property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate