Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:19 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,604,028 times

Advertisements

Enggirl....you are usually very much against a realtor help any buyer and telling saying that buyers can do it on their own and how bad our profession is...do you think that every buyer is good in finding out the information and/or having time to check into all that or learn how to make searches?

IMO having a good professional can save you money unless you are pretty close to be a professional yourself than you don't need one but not everyone is like that.

There is a lot to be seen out there and I do agree that you have to be very careful. If the issues were resolved at the house you saw than it should be fixed and having a mold inspection as well as a termite and home inspection performed will help a lot.

it is not like buying a piece of clothes that everyone has experienced by buying a paid or shoes or a pants that later doesn't fit as nice as it was when standing in front of a mirror. A house is a big investment and unless you have deep pockets it is better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by bentlebee; 11-13-2014 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:40 AM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Snow???
Sure snow makes roofs drop in from the weight, yes? Maybe not in Fla but we are talking about all homes in general, they are all flawed. Some worse than others

Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,058,606 times
There is no doubt that a certified home inspector be retained. Not the one the R.E. agent recommends, find your own, check their qualifications.

It may be beneficial to bring an electrician in to check out the service panel. They could determine if the breakers are the right size and that there is enough service to the house to support the service panel. It is a good idea to check outlets for burns due to hot spots and insure each outlet and switch in the house are in good order and correct for the type of wiring in the house when aluminum wire is involved. A termite/pest inspection is a must. Surely home inspectors dont have xray vision but is it not the duty of the seller to inform of any known defects?

Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,778,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Enggirl....you are usually very much against a realtor help any buyer and telling saying that buyers can do it on their own and how bad our profession is...do you think that every buyer is good in finding out the information and/or having time to check into all that or learn how to make searches?

IMO having a good professional can save you money unless you are pretty close to be a professional yourself than you don't need one but not everyone is like that.

There is a lot to be seen out there and I do agree that you have to be very careful. If the issues were resolved at the house you saw than it should be fixed and having a mold inspection as well as a termite and home inspection performed will help a lot.

it is not like buying a piece of clothes that everyone has experienced by buying a paid or shoes or a pants that later doesn't fit as nice as it was when standing in front of a mirror. A house is a big investment and unless you have deep pockets it is better to be safe than sorry.
Realtors are not interested to share potentially dangerous info, the one that could kill the deal. As a realtor how many times do you check county 20-year infrastructure plan for upcoming roads? I bet zero (and you might argue with me about it all day long).

Everything I said is very easy to google. But for some reason realtor's don't really care about it.

Do you want an example of you covering very shady builder and claiming all issues were taken care of for the entire community? You as a realtor claimed it couple time when in fact I know for 100% it's not true.
KB Homes in New River Community is my example. So, people will trust you and you will lie to their faces claiming all problems were resolved and within next year or so people will get in costly repairs and within 5-10 years will need major construction repair of entire second floor walls.
It's just an example of trusting realtors... and count of them for searching for future road developments or previous issues - give me a break

Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There is no doubt that a certified home inspector be retained. Not the one the R.E. agent recommends, find your own, check their qualifications.

It may be beneficial to bring an electrician in to check out the service panel. They could determine if the breakers are the right size and that there is enough service to the house to support the service panel. It is a good idea to check outlets for burns due to hot spots and insure each outlet and switch in the house are in good order and correct for the type of wiring in the house when aluminum wire is involved. A termite/pest inspection is a must. Surely home inspectors dont have xray vision but is it not the duty of the seller to inform of any known defects?
I agree with you here.

One of the home inspectors we used was able to check service panel and determined it was the wring size, showing problems, and included recalled parts that were linked to fire in other houses.

Seller has to disclose everything, but if it's bank owned property, they don't have to disclose anything since they never occupied that property and "don't know anything" about it.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:14 PM

351 posts, read 318,977 times
I don't trust real estate agents either. Nor do I trust Home Inspectors....just about anyone can become a home inspector; it's a racket. And their standard contract holds them harmless. They only list the obvious stuff, and when stuff goes wrong, it's on the buyer. Better to get some of your friends with a history of construction, to look the house over for you. Maybe a first time buyer needs an inspector to find the furnace or the electric box, but those of us who have owned and rehabbed several houses (or those of you with friends, family who have done that) won't spend the money on a home inspection that is pretty much written by Captain Obvious.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,855,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Sure snow makes roofs drop in from the weight, yes? Maybe not in Fla but we are talking about all homes in general, they are all flawed. Some worse than others
By golly, it seems that is true. Time to move the thread.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,482,774 times
It surprises me how many people - especially in new neighborhoods - don't search to find out the city plan for that area before they buy. I have a few neighbors who are VERY upset to find out less than a year after they moved in that the city is planning to build a new road on the outside of our neighborhood. It's been in the long-term city plan for the last 10 years.

Neither our realtor nor the salespeople in the new neighborhood mentioned the new road (I don't think the realtor knew). We found the city plans on our own before we put the offer on the house.

A few other neighbors were very unhappy to find out the HOA rules. Read the documents before you put in the offer, then there are no surprises.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:56 PM

I disagree the thread had to be moved. I was talking about local communities like Meadow Pointer 4 in Wesley Chapel. Two of the houses currently on the market there and listed as "no neighbors" on the back will be facing busy roadway (Chancey Rd extension) sooner or later and as we all know, house location is pretty much only thing that cannot be change).

People who are moving to Tampa and surrounding counties have to check that kind of staffs.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
It surprises me how many people - especially in new neighborhoods - don't search to find out the city plan for that area before they buy. I have a few neighbors who are VERY upset to find out less than a year after they moved in that the city is planning to build a new road on the outside of our neighborhood. It's been in the long-term city plan for the last 10 years.

Neither our realtor nor the salespeople in the new neighborhood mentioned the new road (I don't think the realtor knew). We found the city plans on our own before we put the offer on the house.

A few other neighbors were very unhappy to find out the HOA rules. Read the documents before you put in the offer, then there are no surprises.
Exactly!
That's why I opened this thread because I see new threads about "we are moving to your area" in our local subforum are getting posted frequently and people have no clue what they are getting into.

On top of that we also have houses with sinkholes/possible sinkholes. It's a good idea to check houses next do to see if there were any sinkhole activities. I am still talking about Pasco County, Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate