Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:19 PM

881 posts, read 1,811,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
This house sidewalls are brick. It was recently tuckpointed and repaired for house sale.

Yeah, I have big issues with my brother. I can't sue him, just pray to God he changes his attitude and character.

- Jesse? -- I don't know.. Maybe, maybe not... Don't want to tell either!

If you think $30,000 and $250,000 remodeling costs are cheap, well we had our work done low cost because we knew great professional construction workers who gave us a good price. The construction company we used was referred to us by a reputable architect, but this construction company had low cost due to employing "unofficial" Polish & Mexican construction workers. But they did good work and didn't cut corners.
Oh seriously who do you think you are fooling with your multiple user ids?

By your own admission, the remodel was done with no permits and illegal labor.

I am writing this with tears of anger in my eyes!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,437,558 times
I hope Chicago Realtors read City Data!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,544,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post

No permits? FORGET about selling! People need those permits before they can sell. This will cause huge problems.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,227,786 times
Quote:

I'm definitely glad I decided to pass on the house now.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,110,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
OP...you said: Maybe the public record wasn't updated after each remodeling throughout the years.

I don't know how it works in Chicago but here that would indicate work that was done without a permit or a permit that was never closed. My point was that the info should be explained or the permit situation should be remedied. I didn't read the whole thread because it looked like a LOT O' DRAMA but wanted to offer the advice--if wanted/needed.
I was talking about possible remodelings before we bought the house, as when we bought the house in 1976 it wasn't a bungalow. So I don't know why it's called a bungalow now.

Quote:

I never mentioned illegal labor directly. And I never mentioned anything about permits, so don't assume too much. But if cheaper Mexicans paint the house after remodeling, what's the bother? But I don't know if they're illegal but they do lower cost but good work.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Dude, the remodel was done in 2004-5. It needs updating again, and any buyer is going to see that and take it into account in their offer.

Then I hope they won't be a buyer. The house has a great remodel, and you personally haven't been in it. There are other people who like the house, too

You just don't get it, do you.

From what I figure, you are at least 29 years old (you stated you lived in the house for 21 years until the 2004-5 renovation). Evidently, you have no assets, no home, and maybe, no job. Grow up. Mom and brother owe you nothing as an inheritance. It's mom's house - she can do whatever she wants with it. Including give it to your brother.

I have $120,000 in possessions that my brother locked up. Yeah, I'm unemployed now. I am grown up. My mom was going to give the house all to me, but my brother bitched her out in 2010 that it had to be sold for the inheritance, - 50% of the sale goes TO ME, 10% to my aunt, 40% to my brother.

There is no will. Mom evidently gave the house to OP's brother. Maybe brother and mom are going to split the money, maybe not, who knows. The OP states that he is not getting any of it. Based on the condition it was in when he lived in it, I would have kicked him out too. And charged him to repaint and clean out the place!
I didn't have to clean up the place to make a pretty pic. I could easily clean up the place if I had frequent visitors, but I did not.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:41 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,660,580 times
Quote:
I didn't have to clean up the place to make a pretty pic. I could easily clean up the place if I had frequent visitors, but I did not.
As this story has evolved, I began to wonder about the OP's mental health. I'm now of the belief that he has some issues. For that reason, I regret my tone in my prior replies. I do not believe he has the ability to understand the reality of real estate sales, marketing and pricing. I suspect that medical \ psychological referrals would be valuable, perhaps essential, for you.

I hope that you find some assistance for your difficulties in life, and some Level of peace with your family.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,887,680 times
Quote:
I never mentioned illegal labor directly. And I never mentioned anything about permits, so don't assume too much. But if cheaper Mexicans paint the house after remodeling, what's the bother? But I don't know if they're illegal but they do lower cost but good work.
Looking at that thread, someone called Jesse69 said:

I think illegals have some place in this economy... If they have construction skills they can do your home remodeling for cheap. We did our entire 3 story house remodeled for cheap with illegal Polish labor. It was still expensive at $240,000 but we even sneaked by without building permits. Otherwise, maybe we couldn't afford a 3 story remodeling.

Ilegals have it the toughest to survive, and they have to do the hardest under the table work. We need them to harvest our crops when other people won't do that.

Either that was you and you explicitly stated you were using illegal labor without building permits or that wasn't you. Which is it?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You posted this link in your thread in the Chicago forum.

As to your pros above, being near a hospital has both pros *and* cons.

1. Many people don't want to deal with the ambulance noise. I know as I lived within walking distance of Evanston Hospital. We also had a residents only sticker because people working at the hospital or other buildings nearby wanted to park in front of our house. I did get used to the noise, but it was still not a thing that would draw people to buy the house when we sold.

As I have lived there a long time, I had never woke up or been kept awake by ambulance noise. About 2 years ago St. Elizabeth had 2 floors converted into a nursing school, so right now there is reduced activity of ambulances that go there. I think ambulances prefer to to go St. Mary's hospital 2 blocks away on Division, - it's sister hospital. Ambulance noise to me was not a 24/7 problem

2. Not everyone in the area is going to care about the Catholic church or Catholic schools. Some may, but that limits those who will want to buy, it does not expand the pool of buyers.

The Catholic presence can be ignored then and that wouldn't hurt.

3. Anyone who is going to pay $500,000 for a house is unlikely to want cafeteria food or budget shopping.

I just mentioned it as a nice feature of this location. Because if I was lazy to cook, I could always eat hospital food just walking across the street. And they have good special cooking sometimes. And I even see BMWs parked in the ALdi nearby on Milwaukee Ave. Like Aldi has some nice budget cookies. It's a walk away to the many boutique restaurants in Wicker Park along Milwaukee, Division, and North Ave.

4. Since there is a garage, the people who buy your house will not likely be worried about parking in the winter (and it is unlikely that they will be doing their own work on their cars in your garage bay).

I bet dudes who own a hot rod would like this garage. And yes, parking is a big hassle in winter for blocks that have houses on both sides of the street. I never had that problem

5. No one with a teenager is going to want to live in that house. The bedrooms except for the master bedroom are too small. And, no teenager who gets into Lane Tech is going to want to walk 45 minutes to school. They probably will have their own car or take the public bus.

I don't know which bedroom was referred to as the master bedroom, bu the room top floor near the bathroom easily FIT MY QUEEN SIZE BED, THE OTHER ROOM CAN TOO.

I only mentioned a 45 minute walk because I lost my bus money home taking Western and I walked home from Lane Tech to here.

I cannot believe you put up pictures with all that clutter. That would be a turnoff and you should be glad your brother cleaned it out for the sale.

Those were old pics of the house of I don't know when. They weren't meant for showing either. That's just how I lived.
And as a note, throughout the years after the 2005 remodel we had occasional people or real estate agents contact us that someone was interested in our house, but we weren't selling it.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As this story has evolved, I began to wonder about the OP's mental health. I'm now of the belief that he has some issues. For that reason, I regret my tone in my prior replies. I do not believe he has the ability to understand the reality of real estate sales, marketing and pricing. I suspect that medical \ psychological referrals would be valuable, perhaps essential, for you.

I hope that you find some assistance for your difficulties in life, and some Level of peace with your family.
Do you mean my level of sloppiness means I don't have good mental health? My neighbor who is a nurse is a slob in her house, - is she mental too?

I don't actually know anything about real estate, as I have never bought or sold any property. So that's why I'm asking this stuff here. But now I suspect the housing market prices have gone down.

I think the house is not selling quickly because it was listed late - July 27 or so. My brother said it had to be listed before school starts because that is when all the family buyers move and buy houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.