Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM

79 posts, read 116,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
We've been looking at property on the Oregon coast. Some have had wonderful sea views but the photos didn't show the it at all. I don't understand why agents use such terrible photos a lot of the time too. You're asking for people to part with hundreds of thousands of dollars. Surely a decent camera and an hour of time is going to pay off.
I agree, if a view is a big selling point, show it, show it, show it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,824,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If I was your friend I would have made sure my house was clean before the agent took the pictures. The agent's not there to sweep the floor and do the dishes.
My friend doesn't live in this house, which was inherited. Another company was hired to sell the remaining furnishings and everything else but the house recently and was supposed to clear out the remainder and leave it clean. Not sure what happened between then and the taking of the pictures by the realtor, and I haven't been in touch with the owner to see what's been going on. The house has been unoccupied (but furnished) for over a year while the estate has been settled so the trash was most likely left behind by those who were in charge of selling the furnishings.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:14 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,492,263 times
I make a little beer money on the side doing real estate photography from time to time.

I started putting ads on Craigslist offering my services once I noticed how utterly terrible a lot of the pictures were that I was seeing when I was browsing listings.

Just doing some really basic and common sense things can make a lot of the pictures that people choose to use for their listings (for some ungodly reason) automatically like 200% better.

Go wide angle, no extreme closeups. At least do a really quick cleaning if the house is currently lived in, even if all your doing is kicking dirty clothes out of the frame. Get at least one or two shots of each important room. Don't forget shots of the exterior, if nothing else, at least one wide angle shot of the front yard and one of the back.

Oh yeah, and brightness. Everyone loves a bright home. I have a couple of cheap wireless flashes with stands and umbrellas I got off Amazon for around $150 total. They can make your underground dungeon torture room with one bare bulb and no windows look bright and fresh like a sunny day!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,037,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
This is one of the worst I've seen.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/12...4/nwmls-423607

There's nothing you can do about this pigsty. That's exactly how you sell it.

Take lots of pictures showing potential flippers what it looks like, and sell as is with a big discount.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,362,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
This is one of the worst I've seen.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/12...4/nwmls-423607

Came out gorgeous after the remodel though.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/12...77/home/291154
I always wonder how people resist the urge to not just drop a lit match in a place like that and then leave. Good for someone having the vision to fix it up.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 AM

9,129 posts, read 14,690,660 times
I found this looking at some houses in my general area they other day. It looks to be photos from the owner for an absurd Zillow make me move, but wow. Dishes in the sink, clutter everywhere. Making rooms look horrible by not turning on any lights or opening blinds. The first picture, showing the outside is from the county tax assessor's site.

200 Star Magnolia Dr, Morrisville, NC 27560 - Zillow

That flip house from Seattle - WOW.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I always wonder how people resist the urge to not just drop a lit match in a place like that and then leave. Good for someone having the vision to fix it up.
My wife is lucky this place wasn't on the market when we were shopping. Granted we couldn't afford to do the kind of remodel the professionals did but I could see the potential in this home.

The condition would not have deterred me as much as the bad elementary school zoning. It's in one of those neighborhoods with a bunch of really nice homes mostly owned by seniors, bordering on a lower income area that feeds the schools. As a result, the schools are some of the worst rated in North Seattle.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:55 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,964,446 times
There is nothing wrong with the Morrisville house, IMHO. Sure, the dish rack sneaked in there, but this is what happens when a home owner does not have a deluxe real-estate worthy camera with its slightly curved lense. If I was those homeowners I'd be mortified that someone had selected me out. The websites featuring bad photos is miles different that this example.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 7 days ago)

43,085 posts, read 76,661,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There is nothing wrong with the Morrisville house, IMHO. Sure, the dish rack sneaked in there, but this is what happens when a home owner does not have a deluxe real-estate worthy camera with its slightly curved lense. If I was those homeowners I'd be mortified that someone had selected me out. The websites featuring bad photos is miles different that this example.
Unfortunately, too many agents would consider those photos as just fine. They are not at all adequate for professional marketing.
Of course, the homeowner is just fishing with Make Me Move...

It IS sad to see folks called out on line, and often agents cross ethical boundaries when commenting on specific listings and photos.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,772,333 times
To be honest I am not sure what is better - dark pictures with personal things all over the place, or photoshoped ones. It happened to us couple time when we saw a listing with great pictures, with huge rooms full of light only to find in person the rooms were tiny with low ceiling and not light. It was a major disappointment to the point we were done with the showing within few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate