Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM

559 posts, read 746,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post

I have an ugly and rich neighbor that wants to buy my property at a discounted price, the harassment has included him stalking me in his car and trying to run me off the road, threatening to damage my property, it goes on and on. He's a bully and I'm a single gal...he thought he could intimidate me to sell. I'm still here and just tell the Mutherf#cker to f#ck off anytime he starts up $hit. I did hit him with a temp. restraining order served by a policeman in front of his clients, I also call the police anytime he starts misbehaving, he seems to have given up for now.
thats a very different scenario and legal action made sense.

again. what specifically would you go after them for? telling people to scram? they could easily say they thought they were doing you a favor since your sign says appointment only and people were trespassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM

991 posts, read 1,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post

again. what specifically would you go after them for? telling people to scram? they could easily say they thought they were doing you a favor since your sign says appointment only and people were trespassing.
They need to cease and desist from spreading untrue and damaging information about the property to prospects, that's pretty simple. I would run as a buyer if someone told me their was a motocross track nearby that made a lot of noise.

The neighbors told them it was very loud living there since the property on the other side of us is a 10 acre working farm and they use heavy equipment often. They also said there are kids who ride dirt bikes next door. We never heard the dirt bikes but it can be a new thing. As for the noise, it never bothered us and was only every so often if they were doing a big project.
The realtor called me after the couple decided they didn't want the property and cited the neighbors telling them it was loud. Coincidentally that same day the neighbors called and said they want to buy the property.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 AM

559 posts, read 746,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
They need to cease and desist from spreading untrue and damaging information about the property to prospects, that's pretty simple. I would run as a buyer if someone told me their was a motocross track nearby that made a lot of noise.
Unfortunately, that's an opinion. what is noisy to you might not be to me. I feel for the sellers here but i am just looking at it from a "what can you prove" POV.

i agree they are trying to stamp down competition but calling their opinion "damaging and untrue" is a stretch.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,211,093 times
Quote:
devil's advocate: what would you actually threaten them with legally? if someone asks their opinion they can give it. they can also ride around in bikini if they choose (on their property). you might be able to get them to stop shooing people off the property. buts that's about it really.

it sucks they are making it difficult to sell. but i am not sure what you can really do.
I was thinking ...since past employers can not give a bad recommendation to another future employer...for fear of being sued...how about neighbors?...tricky....If someone came to my house asking about the neighborhood I would simply tell them my experience, also...it
happens to be 98% good.

BUT this wanting the house and SAYING they didn't want anyone to buy ...I would think would be grounds for legal action! That changes the whole scenario! And tell them that.
A warning letter by the op to cease and desist....just cc'ing it to an
attorney is enough usually.

Then, of course, wouldn't it be great if people didn't walk to the neighbors and ask!
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,211,093 times
Thinking some more..wanting you to avoid attorney fees...

Have the neighbors make their low ball offer in writing...
Laminate it and post it in the house saying to buyers...

Our property is so desirable to our neighbors we have gotten low ball offers.
However, their game plan is they are sabotaging
future buyers by lying about the area. Ha!
They have been served with registered letters to cease and desist.
Otherwise, they are fine neighbors and we never hear a peep out of them.
Can't blame them for trying.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,996,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thinking some more..wanting you to avoid attorney fees...

Have the neighbors make their low ball offer in writing...
Laminate it and post it in the house saying to buyers...

Our property is so desirable to our neighbors we have gotten low ball offers.
However, their game plan is they are sabotaging
future buyers by lying about the area. Ha!
They have been served with registered letters to cease and desist.
Otherwise, they are fine neighbors and we never hear a peep out of them.
Can't blame them for trying.
That is actually pretty funny. I know of a couple who left a note on the counter during a showing..."accidently"...about "those people who wanted to make a full price offer--please call" so don't sell it before we get back to you.... the house was worth it, and seemingly the "communication" worked.

Don't sell to the ba$tards next door except at a premium. And don't take a note from them, or a rent to buy, or anything other than a deal which puts 100% of the sales price in your hands at closing. After they come to their senses they will realize they just spent a half million bucks to settle a vendetta/perception that they couldn't possibly live with neighbors, and that they can't really afford the property as well.

Firm lawyer letter might be in order. That would be my strategy. Don't play around with a "CC" or other "beating around the bush" strategies. Lawyer letter with facts, signature required. They will get the message and you can go back to being friends. They just need to have their egos deflated a little bit over a situation which they don't control, can't afford, and is none of their business.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM

573 posts, read 1,236,997 times
Quote:

I can't speak to the OP'S state, but there are causes of action for tortious interference with contract or business, or even just the catchall prima facie tort here in New York - they are not easy to prove and pf tort requires malevolence/an intent to cause economic injury. If the noise complaint is an out and out lie, coupled with the lowball offer, that could be enough to at least make a good faith claim against them which may make them realize their actions could cost them $.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,748,412 times
If the neighbors weren't trying to 'low ball' the price, one might think that privacy was their only motivation.

The Realtor's suggestion of dropping the property by $1000 increments is only a technique that will increase interest by keeping the property repeatedly appearing on new/price reduced listings. If you are convinced that your current price after the $80,000 drop is competitive, it may be time to press the neighbors to negotiate upwards (share your comp. information with them).

Based on their response, you will have a better indication of what you are facing and how to proceed from here. (You might also ask them what basis or comps. they used to arrive at their offer. Are they really trying to drive your price down ... or do they have a legitimate basis for their offer?)

Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,729,724 times
Could you tell your agent to tell interested prospective buyers that the neighbors want to purchase the property rent to own which you aren't willing to do. And they might make comments to deter buyers? That way if the buyers ARE cornered, they will take what they say with a grain of salt.

I had something similar happen in FL when a neighbor didn't want me to sell our home at the price listed. She was a realtor and wanted us to use her AND price it very high so we would raise the overall value of the neighborhood. She would stalk any buyers viewing the property. It was very frustrating. (and we had our realtor warn buyers which finally led to a sale)

Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,573,810 times
Quote:

If they can demonstrate a sustained campaign by the neighbors to depress their property values, that's cause for a civil suit. It's not as though there has to be proof beyond reasonable doubt or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate