Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:30 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,026,046 times

Advertisements

I would talk to an attorney about what legal rights and options you have regarding these neighbors, and also, about whether you can legally split the lot. Sometimes, a planning board will automatically say no to things because that's the easiest thing to do, but once you get an attorney, they will back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I can see why this bothers you, but it sounds like a new house being built on the hill would literally destroy their property value and cause them to uproot their lives. So long as they are behaving legally, which they are, there is no reason to suggest they are doing something immoral. They are doing something you don't like, but not something immoral. Telling potential people about the noise is a proper thing for neighbors to do since they don't want new neighbors that hate the noise. To be fair, that's something your realtor should have disclosed initially and if she did not then she has been acting unethical in the interest of helping you sell the property.

Sorry their offer was low, but how high did you expect them to come when the property has been on the market for months and their real goal would probably be to buy the property, move the lot line to protect their house, and then sell the other property.

Why don't you contact them and see if they would like to purchase the strip of land that they want protected and then try to resume selling your house. Find out what they really want and try to make a deal that works for both of you. I can assure you that if you continue to be blind toward their needs or treat their needs as inferior to your needs they will have no reason not to use their physical presence to protect their interests.

When I bought my home the neighbors told me very clearly that it was a quiet neighborhood and they wanted it to stay that way. Perfect. I was looking for a quiet neighborhood and they hear no sound from my house.
So, didn't read the rest of the thread before jumping in, I take it?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,657,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post

So, after a successful second showing our realtor had to leave to another appointment and the prospective buyers chose to stay and walk around the property, running into the neighbors. The neighbors told them it was very loud living there since the property on the other side of us is a 10 acre working farm and they use heavy equipment often. They also said there are kids who ride dirt bikes next door. We never heard the dirt bikes but it can be a new thing. As for the noise, it never bothered us and was only every so often if they were doing a big project.
The realtor called me after the couple decided they didn't want the property and cited the neighbors telling them it was loud. Coincidentally that same day the neighbors called and said they want to buy the property.
You don't want to bad-mouth the neighbors to prospective buyers, because no one wants to insert themselves into a neighborhood feud.

This is a job for your agent. He/she should find a way to mention to prospective buyers that if the neighbors talk about how noisy & undesirable the property is:

1) It hasn't deterred THEM from living there and
2) It hasn't deterred THEM from offering to buy your property.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,566 times
Find someone else to do your yard. This gets rid of the bikini and your neighbor's right to be on your property. Find a new real estate agent who will handle the questions and doubts of buyers in a more assertive way. You have no responsibility to cave into your neighbors requests. Get a lawyer if you need to.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,298,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OP I'm sorry but I'm kind of on the side of the neighbors. They probably moved there because they like nature and the scenery and do not want a house right next to them. I know I wouldn't. I'd be really angry if one of my neighbors did something like that.

Maybe you can stop advertising the house with information about how they can build multiple homes. Are you looking for investors? What about having some concern for the people who live there? I'm sorry there is more to life than money in some cases. You're leaving and only thinking about your interests and not the people who you agree were good neighbors for years.

Unfortunately for them, you are trying to make a killing at the expense of their peace of mind and enjoyment of their own property, and the property is priced too high for them to afford. They must be frustrated. I'm not even sure what they are doing is illegal. You're going to have to realize that you are wrong as well and try to make some sort of compromise with them in order to sell the property.
Then folks like you shouldn't move onto a lot where your neighbor can possibly build two homes. It's real simple.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:50 AM

8,539 posts, read 12,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Then folks like you shouldn't move onto a lot where your neighbor can possibly build two homes. It's real simple.
Unfortunately, it's not always that simple. Zoning regulations get changed all of the time--usually for the worse.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,950,681 times
Your realtor should know how to handle difficult neighbors...

And people should not be roaming around without a realtor..
Why would you want stangers to be on your property unaccompanied ???

I had a 3 acre property & house for sell years ago and my neighbors said something to
random people who they saw roaming around ...
I am glad they did, because "For Sale" does not mean "feel free to trespass"

Old 11-21-2014, 02:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,648,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
I would instruct your realtor to find a condo developer and sell the house and land to them as an investment property.. ::smirks:: developers don't care about farms and such they are gonna buy a view and so what if the guy behind the property gets blocked .. thats karma for being foolish and messing with your possible sale.
that or turn it into a pig farm or a poultry farm for one of the big name growers .. ..
I was suggest to fight fire with fire.

Tell your not nice neighbors that you will erect a large barn (or other relatively inexpensive structure) that will block their view if they don't stop harassing potential buyers. Or, better yet, just do it. Do not let people like that win. It only emboldens them and makes it hard on the rest of us.

You, or at the very least your agent, should be at every showing. It is better if you or your spouse is there because the neighbors are unlikely to be malicious if you are there.

Do you care to share the listing?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,045,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OP I'm sorry but I'm kind of on the side of the neighbors. They probably moved there because they like nature and the scenery and do not want a house right next to them. I know I wouldn't. I'd be really angry if one of my neighbors did something like that.

Maybe you can stop advertising the house with information about how they can build multiple homes. Are you looking for investors? What about having some concern for the people who live there? I'm sorry there is more to life than money in some cases. You're leaving and only thinking about your interests and not the people who you agree were good neighbors for years.

Unfortunately for them, you are trying to make a killing at the expense of their peace of mind and enjoyment of their own property, and the property is priced too high for them to afford. They must be frustrated. I'm not even sure what they are doing is illegal. You're going to have to realize that you are wrong as well and try to make some sort of compromise with them in order to sell the property.
You (and these neighbors) can be angry all you like, but these owners have always had the right to do what they're doing. The due diligence is on YOU. If you think your view might be obstructed or privacy lost at any point during your tenancy, don't purchase. We walked away from a house where we could lose a water view within five years. Had we bought it, it wouldn't have been fair to expect the developer/owner of the land across from ours to forgo his right to sell or build because it's "mean."

Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,323,174 times
Well I'm glad to see that some people have attacked my point of view, but I got a rep so at least someone sees my POV. Anyway I think money is more important than buying a property and deliberately destroying the existing neighbors peace of mind or quality of life for money. That just grosses me out.

Some people move to certain areas for a REASON. And unfortunately they can't all afford to buy several hundred acres, and not everyone is influential enough to stop over development of their neighborhoods. But if the OP pisses these people off enough, and they have friends in the area, they may just be able to make it REALLY for you to subdivide. My advice is to be as nice and considerate as possible.

You can ignore their point of view, but then you will probably end up like the OP. Desperate to sell for a high price, but with the neighbors putting obstacles in the way. You can take the hard way or the easy way. In my opinion sometimes it is best to be considerate and compromise. The neighbors are being annoying now, but if you **** them off there is a lot more they may try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate