Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,696,328 times

Advertisements

OP - You really need medical intervention and soon. You're trying to pretend that it's been the past month when in reality it's been over a year.

Your problem is not the house, but the move from back East itself. The sooner you are stabilized the better. Anxiety disorders don't go way by themselves. You can't move away from it, because the problem is you. Anywhere you go, there you are.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:15 PM

240 posts, read 346,439 times
I will today talk to my doctor but everyone is telling me my realtor did not represent me correctly even a real estate attorney because he didn't comp it correctly and present it to us correctly and also didn't advise us how to make a good offer based on the updated house

Old 11-28-2014, 12:57 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,104,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I will today talk to my doctor but everyone is telling me my realtor did not represent me correctly even a real estate attorney because he didn't comp it correctly and present it to us correctly and also didn't advise us how to make a good offer based on the updated house

It's page 17 and she's still not listening. I think we should all give up & hope she seeks mental health attention ASAP.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:41 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,836,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I am so worried that I won't be able to sell it for what I paid for it and to move on with my life my family agrees the condition I am in mentally we need to resell it. I just worry what if appraisal was done wrong because they used the updated house as a comp and appraised it for rmecaxtly what updated house sold for.
You won't get what you sold it for, you'll lose about $30K if you sell it right now. You need to learn how to move forward.

If I was your husband and you were acting like this over a house, you'd be acting like this over a very empty house.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 PM

This is Sunshinegirl7 but I am on my computer where I can't login.
My husband is even now upset with how this all happened, I know you guys are thinking I am overreacting, but if you found a house that you LOVED the layout of and knew it had super potential BUT it was priced too high and you then thought if you low ball offered and got it, it would be worth updating right? Our realtor presented us with the comps and told us what he comped it out to and what the listing price was originally, then we came up with offer that we thought was low balling but still within reason,reatlor made you feel like you were low balling and getting a great deal, you make the offer, you get it and you move in and then find out seller took fixtures, had some broken things hidden, carpet was in much worse condition because hidden by furniture. Then you have issues come up that are $1500 in damage and find out seller hid items, then on top of all that you are told by people that you overpaid, so you start talking to realtors and find out the real way to comp is NOT by square feet only but by updated vs. non updated and you paid the same price, then find out that your realtor didn't even say to get any selller assistance or anything because you didn't push it because you thought you were getting a good deal. Same with things like pool and pool deck needing resurfaced, everything being very updated, old carpet because again you didn't want to push it becaues you felt like you were getting a great deal. I think some of you would be upset, I mean seriously I lost a lot of money right up front because house supposedly isn't even worth what I paid and the price I paid is not a deal! I put my whole life savings down on the house because I thought this was the one, now I realize it wasn't and in order to even list it again I have to paint EVERY single room and possibly even more money into it. Please tell me now how we are overreacting and NOW that my husband knows we got ripped off and even an attorney told me we weren't represented by our realtor, I think I know what I am talking about!. Doctor told me I have situational depression, he said tlaking to me he can see what is upsetting me and understood completly, so I am not crazy!

Old 11-28-2014, 05:09 PM

Here's what you keep missing:

None of any of that changes anything, but you have the power to change the house to what you want over the next 3 years or so and end up with a house that you'll be able to recoup your costs and sell.

If you sell now, you will actually lose everything. As it stands, you haven't actually lost anything - it's just tied up in the house.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,959,030 times
@sunshinegirl7

As I see it, you have a minor cause for regret, not a major one. You could possibly have negotiated harder and gotten a better bargain. Perhaps you could have waited and purchased that other house.

But you did not. Stressing, worrying and making yourself crazy about this is not going to help. Comparing yourself to others is simply not going to be productive. There is always somebody who earns more, gets a better deal, earns promotions faster, or has a better smile. You need to get past this.

The best way to deal with this situation is to take stock and move forward based on current facts.

If you put the house up for sale now you will wind up paying another realtor's commission. Once you sell, you will have less money available to you than you did when you purchased this house, and you won't have a place to live.

If you stay where you are, you will have a nice place to live. You have years in which you can do the upgrades that you like. Don't do them so that you can sell the house ( because you can always sell the house), do them so that the house becomes your home. You can pay for them in small amounts that you will not feel.

Please take a second and try to understand the responses that you have been given. My response is not unique, others have said the same thing many times. We understand your situation. Most people sympathies with your situation. We can also look at it dispassionately and give a pretty unified piece of advice.

Sell now, lose a lot of money. GUARANTEED. Sell in several years, enjoy your house until then, see what the market will return to you in the future. You may make your money back.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,104,411 times
You would NOT have gotten a loan approved if the house didn't appraise for the purchase price. You can't take out a loan for more than 80% of the home's value so if the home was worth less than you paid, your mortgage company would have insisted that you put more than 20% down, making the loan 80% of the appraisal price (not 80% of purchase price). Since this did not happen, you did NOT overpay.

The mortgage companies are under strict guidelines now and houses MUST appraise by randomly chosen appraisers . Your real estate agent can't be "in bed" with a pre-selected appraiser and help rig the appraisal value....they will both be sitting in jail if that happened. People are having to bring more money to closing left & right these days (we did) when appraisals come in lower than purchase price due to the appraisals not catching up to rapidly increasing values.

The appraiser used remodeled houses as comps and then made adjustments to your home's value. For example, our house has a garage but a house used as a comp didn't . The appraiser added $20k to the comp house's sold price to appraise our house. I'm sure if you read the appraisal, you'll see the columns where adjustments were made up/down for square footage, # beds & baths, having a pool (and the pool's condition), appliances, flooring, location & lot size, age / builder, etc.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Thank you, we did start painting everything so hopefully that will make me change a little but I feel so bitter and I hope that can change.

The kitchen is majorly outdated with low ceiling we were going to pay to have removed but now I feel like some of the dreams we had are too expensive and wouldn't recoup those. The kitchen is one of the most important rooms right? How can we upgrade that on a budget? painting and new knobs? I just don't think I can ever feel at home here

Old 11-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Kitchen on a budget:

Paint
Refaced cabinets
Counters
Sink
Appliances

Kitchens are important, but there's no 100% rule for anything in real estate. What's important to one person may not be the most important to another.

Stop with the crap in your last sentence, keeping moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate