Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 PM

988 posts, read 1,733,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
Why can't I get what I paid for it? because market took a dip or because I did pay too much? so far we are painting and redoing a bathroom and have done one light fixture. if I keep updating by spring I should be able to get at least what I paid right?
You're not going to get what you paid for it because, by placing your house back on the market so quickly after purchasing, you will have attached a negative stigma to it; people will be wondering what is so wrong with the house that you're trying to sell so quickly and their offers will reflect that negative attitude accordingly. As well, unless you live in the SF/Bay area or NYC, your house just won't have appreciated enough for you to recoup your investment. As for your updates, you almost never receive a dollar-for-dollar return on improvements, so stop thinking that way; for example, if you spend $30K on renovations, your house is not automatically worth $30K more.

Judging from your other posts, it really sounds like you're having issues adjusting to a new part of the country to live in where you don't have the support system you used to have, and so you're blaming the house for all your feelings. I'm sorry you're feeling sad but the house isn't the issue; you're just using it as a scapegoat. I strongly suggest you see someone professionally who can help you cope with your depression.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:03 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,696,738 times
Quote:
my appraisal is 1500 more than I bought it for
If you paid $1500 less than the appraised value, you got a decent deal. The next time someone tells you that you over paid, you can honestly tell them they are wrong and you got it under market value. Obviously, from your other posts above, this is not really your point of concern. You made a move which you now regret. It happens. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Whatever you decide to do about it, the one thing you need not upset yourself about is the price you paid. That is not the opinion of your friends, your family, your neighbors, or your real estate agent. You have authoritative proof that you got a deal. If nothing else, that should put you at ease.

The rest of it is another issue but this one can be put to bed.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,525,957 times
Quote:
Do u think I can do a for sale by owner? it seems like they don't have many houses for sale by owner.
No. You should find a reputable realtor. Unless one has sufficient experience in real estate FSBO is not a good idea.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,615,628 times
One more thing...... Why are you telling people how much you paid? Its impolite. Its similar to telling people how much money you make. You should learn to be more discreet about what you tell your friends, or even family.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,525,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
OP- What is it you want people to tell you?

You post non- stop under two different names- Sunshinegirl17 & Sunshinegirl7. Sunshinegirl7 for those who remember is the thread about buyer's remorse ( buying the non updated house).

When one thread dies a natural death, you post another, on the same topic, either under the other screen name or under a different forum. You've gotten tons of advice, dozens and dozens of pages of comments in total , and yet you're still back with the same post just worded differently. You've been posting continually since last February about this move.

You refuse to listen to any of the advice you've gotten, refuse to make headway under any of the many good suggestions you've gotten. This thread is just one more rehashing the same topic .

You're stuck in quicksand . Plenty of people have been throwing you ropes and branches to get you out but you seem happy to ignore them . Maybe you could tell us how we can help you move on. Right now you're stuck. Being stuck is not healthy. I can't imagine what this obsession is doing to your husband and family.
This certainly explains a lot .....

Old 11-22-2014, 02:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,989,953 times
Quote:
Why can't I get what I paid for it? because market took a dip or because I did pay too much? so far we are painting and redoing a bathroom and have done one light fixture. if I keep updating by spring I should be able to get at least what I paid right?
You could sell it for what you paid for it or slightly more probably, but by the time you factor commission + closing costs on buying it the first time + closing costs from selling it + renovations, you will lose money.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:57 PM

240 posts, read 347,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
One more thing...... Why are you telling people how much you paid? Its impolite. Its similar to telling people how much money you make. You should learn to be more discreet about what you tell your friends, or even family.
I don't tell them my family shared the zilllow listing that shows it so they all know.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,693,231 times
Quote:
I don't tell them my family shared the zilllow listing that shows it so they all know.
You appear to be entirely too influenced by your family members.

First you say your mother convinced you to buy this bigger house so an elderly aunt could move in, but didn't (I don't suppose your mom contrubited any of HER money toward this purchase??), and now you say your family members are sharing the Zillow listing and making rude comments about your purchase??

I encourage you to find a psychotherapist to help you learn how to establish and enforce healthy boundaries with your family, because they are WAY too far up into your business.

I am fairly certain this is what's behind your severe anxiety also.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,268,869 times
Does your family live in the area or not? If not, they have zero, zip, zilch, nada knowledge about prices in your new area. Ignore them.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,180,774 times
Posting the same advice I gave you on last week's thread. Maybe you'll take it this time.

I mean this sincerely -> you need to see a therapist. A little bit of buyer's remorse is normal; to say that your home purchase is "destroying the person you are" is WAY NOT NORMAL.

You need some help sorting out your feelings on this house so you can make a rational financial decision. If you sell now, you'll immediately lose around $32k in realtor commissions & closing costs. Reading between the lines of your earlier posts, that basically means putting HALF of your life savings in a trash can and lighting it on fire. All because you had a leak and don't like your doorknobs. I really don't think you want to throw away half your life savings so you need some coping tips to help you adjust to your new home.

Get a therapist's help to work through your emotions and in the mean time, please leave all financial decision's firmly in your husband's hands (do NOT question him) as he is obviously the only one of you thinking rationally at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.