Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:52 PM

29,453 posts, read 22,406,540 times

Advertisements

That is for the responses.

I agree the HOA can be a sticking point. It can increase significantly and a huge factor.

The place I was living at was so ideal though. Good and safe location, all tenants in unit are quiet and respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,538,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Other problem with condos is my condo has lower maint partially as unit owners are responsible for own HVAC, Decks, Doors and windows. With folks on a fixed income, deck rails get rusty, windows and doors get old and a 86 year old women on a fixed income just skips it. Board would never fine a elderly lady so we have mismatched units. However, if we did that it would be a ton of money we would have to reserve for.
This totally depends on the individual association. I lived in a townhouse and we were not responsible for our decks, fences, or windows. The front door we could paint an approved color, but we could not change the door. Only the association could change our front door.

There are also HOA's who go after every owner for every little violation. Some don't, but this is changing because others are sick of picking up the slack of others. Foreclosures and liens are becoming real in many HOA's.....just read on this forum!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,246,738 times
Your personal housing should never be considered as an investment. It's a place you pay for to live in, whether you rent or buy or live in a mansion or a shack.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,230,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Your personal housing should never be considered as an investment. It's a place you pay for to live in, whether you rent or buy or live in a mansion or a shack.
I disagree. This sounds like a real estate sales pitch to me.

If that were true, there'd be no incentive to ever stop renting.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,224,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I disagree. This sounds like a real estate sales pitch to me.

If that were true, there'd be no incentive to ever stop renting.
The incentive is when it becomes cheaper to buy. Over the long term, on average, your home's value will just match inflation or be slightly behind, but the interest rate will be higher than the inflation rate so you don't gain anything with leveraging the property as you would with rental properties. Plus, any leveraged gains that do materialize will be declining as the loan is paid down.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 22,808 times
Default Real estate in motgomery alabama

Real estate investment is really a great investment A condo is one of the best investment in real estate.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,538,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliewatson View Post
Real estate investment is really a great investment A condo is one of the best investment in real estate.
Do you have any stats or info to back this up? I ask because in many areas, condos are not a good investment. My cousins own a condo that they are so far upside down in that it's not funny. It's in Myrtle Beach and they paid well over $100K for it before the real estate market crashed. Now units it their building sit on the market for months and months - some for years - for less than $30K.

This holds true for houses in some areas as well. Detroit has been selling houses for under $5K. Granted, they are not in the greatest of neighborhoods or in the greatest shape, but Detroit has more houses than they do people. There was an article on CNN.com about this not long ago.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:14 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,223,096 times
To say a condo is a good investment is like saying the stock market is a good investment. It's not worth arguing about, because the arguments would go on forever. How good the stock market is over the long run depends more on which stocks you pick than anything else.

A condo board of directors can be a disaster. But so can a corporation's board of directors. They alone can make your stock nosedive.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,223,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 702216 View Post
IMO, I don't like condo's for the following reasons (based on my own experience)

1. Neighbor had leaking pipes in their unit that destroyed my stuff. My insurance didn't cover the damages, and stated that I needed a flood insurance policy to cover leak damage. I asked the neighbor to fix his pipes, and he kept stalling, making up excuses each time we asked when he would fix the leak. Luckily, I was renting the place, so I moved.
If you had owned the place, and the neighbor was damaging your unit, it might have been appropriate to sue the neighbor. But neighbors in houses have conflicts just as much or more.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,224,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
To say a condo is a good investment is like saying the stock market is a good investment. It's not worth arguing about, because the arguments would go on forever. How good the stock market is over the long run depends more on which stocks you pick than anything else.

A condo board of directors can be a disaster. But so can a corporation's board of directors. They alone can make your stock nosedive.
The two aren't really related imo. Equities are generally good investments, but condos are generally not.

With a Condo you are generally going to: fare worse than a SFH, not have access to the reserves, have limited rental options if the board wants the maintain the values (banks won't lend if too many renters are present), have smaller rental margins, risk a developer coming in and increasing the condo supply by building condo units, and have a smaller market to sell to. Location is key though. A condo in NYC will normally surpass a SFH in Missouri in value and I believe condos in SF outpace homes in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate