Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:33 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,223,529 times

Advertisements

Its a great idea but not foolproof. I had the best neighbor in the world, but he passed away. Now I have his horrible son next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,412,643 times
Depends how close your houses are. Two neighbors introduced them selves when I moved in and soon afterwards, they kept borrowing things, complaining about fences, trees, constantly trying to talk to you when you were unloading stuff etc.

Another neighbor acted like a best friend and then one day she moved and did not say goodbye.

The last two neighbors who moved in I never introduced myself and they never introduced them self even though we share a fence. I kinda like it. I have lots of friends in town but being friendly with next door neighbor is a recipe for trouble.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,214,263 times
We love our neighborhood and have come to know many of the people on the street. A long time friend that I have known for maybe 35 years or so, his parents live on our street. They are in there 90's now. Our one next door neighbor and I used to talk a lot. He was in his 80's when we moved in. His daughter in her 60's had moved in to help him take care of his wife, her mom. We both liked Pepsi and I would stop by and we would talk for an hour or two. He passed away two Thanksgivings ago. His daughter now lives there and she has health issues. I take out the trash for her on trash day and help her out when she needs anything. My wife will go to the store for her if she needs anything. The people across the street from us are also friends with us. All except the husband. He works nights and is not too much into socializing with anyone. They have two kids, one teen ager and a 20 year old daughter. They also have a band and that is cool. They are actually good and have played at some nice venues. A couple doors down is a family that the wife used to work with us at the hospital. It took us 8 months before we realized who they were. There kids are involved with travel sports teams so they were always gone. One day the wife and her daughter took the dog on a walk and I had my two youngest outside. When I saw her I blurted out her name and we started talking. My wife came out and we thought that it was cool that we were on the same street. They had been there for 12 years before we moved there. Two other families we became close to because our kids and there kids are friends. We have picked up there kids at the bus stop and quite a few times the kids have come over because mom or dad was not home yet from work.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,998,003 times
I was all about being good neighbors when I moved into my current place 25 years ago. I'd walk around, chat with whoever was outside, welcome new people when they moved in, etc. I never had a bad neighbor but I was also never close with anyone like I though I would be. A few of us trusted each other to pet sit but that was it. A friend of mine had moved into a new housing development near me right around the time I moved here and everyone there became social with everyone else instantly, hanging out and popping in for dinners and bbqing in their driveways... but my neighborhood was old and established and it just wasn't the same. Theirs ended up changing too, with neighbors out and out hating each other, but that's a whole other story.

These days I just smile and nod and rarely spend time outside just hanging out like I did when the kids were young. I just got new neighbors next door and I haven't seen them yet, but they are quiet and that's really all I care about at this point

Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,346,948 times
Good thread. I would and have scoped out a new nabe before moving, but never would have gone before I moved in with an express purpose to meet and talk to prospective neighbors. That's a good idea. While overall my neighbors are friendly enough, with the exception of one family. The less than friendliness and at times bizarre behavior from that one family is enough to make me"prescreen" better the next time we move.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:57 AM

26,601 posts, read 26,498,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I would love to chat with future neighbors. Can I knock on doors...and chat with neighbors before putting in and offer?
I will never forget a woman who knocked on our door and said that she and her husband were considering buying a house in our neighborhood and wanted to know how we liked living there. At the time, I thought well, doesn't that beat all but years later, I realized it was a great idea.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:55 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,822,865 times
Thanks for all the feedback! I know it isn't a sure fire way to make sure all is perfect, but it would be nice. I don't actually want to be close friends with neighbors. Too much potential drama...and, yeah I hate drop ins. But it's been miserable living next to one of our neighbors for the past decade. If I had met him, I may have really reconsidered putting in an offer on this house. Or not...but at least I would have known what to expect. And in some cases we have lucked out with him mostly ignoring us.

It would also be nice to know if there are other kids in the future neighborhood who may be play mates for mine...at least a general feeling of acceptance of kids running around.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,482,063 times
Of course. I've done it in the past. Just tell them why you knocked on their door and go with your gut. Of course you can't prevent a total jerk moving into a house opposite the one you've been living in for 6 years and making your life a misery.... Ask me how I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate