Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 9,242 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of trying to buy our first home in New Jersey. We found a house that we loved and our offer was accepted. Fast-forward to the week of closing. We were set to close on Friday, October 24th. I refused to let myself get excited because I've heard some horror stories about the whole process but on Tuesday of that week, we got final approval from our lender and I figured we were in the clear. On Thursday morning, we got a call from our attorney saying that the seller owes more on the property than he thought and he can't afford to close. The following Monday, we found out the property is now a short sale subject to bank approval. We managed to get a rate lock extension at no cost to us and we do really love the house, so we decided to stick it out for a bit longer. I should also note here that we were renters at the time and had to be out of our apartment at the end of October. Our belongings have all had to go into storage, our animals have had to be sent to a family member's home, and my husband and I are staying with another family member for the time being. Yesterday, we received a letter from the seller requesting an extension to February 28th, 2015 for the close date. We decided we've had enough and cancelled the deal.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if it's possible to get back any of the money we've wasted throughout this entire process. We never would have looked twice at this property had we been aware that it was a short sale, it's just not something we want to get involved with. Between attorney fees, the appraisal, the inspection and the land survey, we spent almost $3000 and since we had to move out of our apartment, we've spent almost an additional $1000 on moving/storage/transportation expenses.

If anyone has any advice or experience with a situation like this, I would love to hear it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:41 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would speak to your attorney. It sounds as if this is a breach of contract, your attorney can advise you.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would speak to your attorney. It sounds as if this is a breach of contract, your attorney can advise you.
Yep. It is a contract issue.
It may be fraud, if the seller or agent had knowledge of inability to offer clear title.
Attorney time.

And, you could be months from closing. Short sales usually stink and this is a short sale without any preparation.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
I wonder what Feb 28 is. The seller didn't back off his required date when you said you'd cancel?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I wonder what Feb 28 is. The seller didn't back off his required date when you said you'd cancel?
The letter just states that they wish to extend the close date to get approvals for the short sale. As of now, we haven't heard back from the seller regarding our decision to terminate the contract.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Umm, maybe hire a realtor next time? I'm betting they would have told you it was a short sale. . .

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm, maybe hire a realtor next time? I'm betting they would have told you it was a short sale. . .
I have a realtor. It wasn't originally a short sale. As I stated in my original post, the seller was suddenly unable to close the day before closing and the following business day we were informed that it was now a short sale.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 AM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
You're not going to get any better advice than to contact an attorney who can walk you through exactly what your options are. You could possibly recoup some of your money spent due to the owner's failure to perform, but the cost for pursuing through legal means might outweigh what you actually receive. Long and short of it, unless you can find proof of seller/agent deliberately withholding this information and intentionally setting out to deceive, this is just an unfortunate situation that occurred to you. Stinks but sometimes s**t happens.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM

Thank you. I appreciate the helpful advice. I have already contacted my attorney to find out if there's anything that can be done.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
I suppose you could offer to pay the seller's mortgage holder the shortage amount at closing. Depending on how much that is and how much you love the house. . . . just sayin'. That would make them, and their bank happy. Can't see why anyone (other than you--depending on the amount) would complain. That simply raises your purchase price when it's all said and done. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate