Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,584,950 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to sell my condominium within the next year or so.

The kitchen could really use updating; but I don't think I can afford to do a complete update and also repaint the entire condo and get new hardwood flooring (which it needs). The gas range, refrigerator, and dishwasher are all about 10 years old, or older.

There are still some good sales in my area (near Boston) for the next few days in appliances. My oven doesn't work anymore, so I thought I'd get a new gas range, so I could use it to cook, occasionally, and also present at least one fairly new appliance to the potential buyers when I put the condo on the market. I will probably get a new refrigerator as well; mine is functional, but is missing some drawers (they broke) and has a crack in the molding.

The dishwasher works, too.

If I get a new gas range, would the color make a difference in the resale value? There seems to be a trend in granite counters/stainless steel appliances. I won't be getting granite counters. I was thinking of getting a white gas range; and later a white refrigerator, because the dishwasher is white and that way if I don't get a new dishwasher, the other new appliances won't look odd in the same kitchen. Or should I bite the bullet and get all three appliances, in stainless steel, and hope that the fad continues? Or does it make no difference?

I also hope to get an over-the-range microwave; since that would create a bit more space on the countertop.

Currently, my kitchen has dark brown finish on the cabinets; light tan laminate counters, off-white floors, white walls, and white appliances.

I've noticed that the gas ranges I've looked at will not be level with my counters (the one I have isn't) - is that an issue? Should I try to get a gas range that's as close as possible in height to the counters? Or does a half-inch lower or higher than the counters and also the outer edge protruding beyond the counters not make any difference in resale value? I hope to get a gas range that would be self-cleaning, with "convection".

It's likely that any buyer would renovate the kitchen, but I thought that getting one or two new appliances might leave a good impression, and also be one more thing (two more things actually) I wouldn't have to lower the selling price for. And I'd like to be able to have a working stove for my own use between now and the time I do sell.

This is one of the models I'm considering, though I'd prefer something less expensive:

GE 5.6 cu. ft. Gas Range with Self-Cleaning Convection Oven in White-JGB760DEFWW at The Home Depot

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I've never bought kitchen appliances before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:33 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I am hoping to sell my condominium within the next year or so.
Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Don't do ANY of that work.

Focus on CLEAN and functional.
Let the next owner remodel and redecorate.

eta: If the stove is really broken... then fix it.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-01-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,868,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I'm no real estate expert, but I can tell you as a recent buyer that a broken oven would be a major turn-off and keep many buyers away. I know I would question the maintenance habits of someone who lived without a major appliance and didn't do anything about it. I think that a working oven is pretty much required in the US and should probably be worth getting installed. Perhaps that would qualify as getting things functional, though.

Savvy buyers might look at the non-functioning oven as an opportunity for efficient upgrading, but it seems like non-savvy buyers are generally willing to pay more. I think that's the same reason well-staged houses fare better than poorly staged ones even when everyone knows that they're getting an empty house in the end.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,548,199 times
Have you talked with a realtor or looked at the condos that sold? And also the ones currently for sale? See what the sold ones had, if only online, and how the sold prices compare to what you have in mind. And, for those with updating, note what and what color for kitchen appliances.

Ten years seems to be the number many people have in mind for appliance life. Although they can last much longer, much much longer sometimes. For example, we replaced elderly relative's appliances at that 10-12 year mark, just in case. Better to take care of it before all the stuff going on when it breaks.

Who is buying in your condos?

Younger people and investors may be fine with buying some new appliances.

A lot of people would be find with matching your white. If it's an up and coming area now...maybe they are putting in the matte silver ones.

I will tell you there will be people who will take your lower price that reflects the works needed and say, "I have to do this and this and this so I'm reducing my offer by that amount." Even though your price is already reduced. If you would be benefited by using a new appliance till you sell and get a good deal you could look into one or two and be sure your realtor says "NEW" this and that in the listing.

And, yes, **** and span. (Those Mr. Clean sponge things are miracle workers. Walls....I recently saw an add that they are good on leather type athletic shoes and even used them on ours lately.)

Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,740,268 times
The problem with replacing only one of several outdated appliances is that you will then have a non-matching 'outdated kitchen' ... and unless a buyer likes your stove selection, will likely need to re-replace it to get back to a matching look. If it isn't working, consider buying a newer used unit.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,524,879 times
Just bought a condo that was 15 years old with original appliances. I knew I would be replacing them sooner or later - no plan for a total kitchen remodel. I asked that the seller provide a 1 yr home owners warranty that basically covered the basic heating/cooling/plumbing plus the washer, dryer, dishwasher and refrigerator. It cost the seller about $525 at closing. All appliances were in working order - just old and not as energy efficient.

Fix the oven - only replace it if the repair is more than 50% of what it would cost to buy a new one.

PS: I did not bother with adding the oven to the home owners warranty because I mainly use a microwave and toaster oven. Six months here and I have yet to turn on the oven or the cooktop!

I have replaced the washer, dryer, dishwasher and refrigerator - all in white and different manufacturers.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Opinions are just that...

The last home I sold for a record neighborhood price had "Helpful" Realtors telling me the high end oak cabinets and motor set tile were dated... I should replace or at least paint everything white!!!

I made sure everything was super clean, in excellent repair and move in ready...

One of the features the buyer's loved was the country kitchen... dated or not.

It can be risky trying to anticipate what a unknown buyer might like.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The problem with replacing only one of several outdated appliances is that you will then have a non-matching 'outdated kitchen' ... and unless a buyer likes your stove selection, will likely need to re-replace it to get back to a matching look. If it isn't working, consider buying a newer used unit.

I have four appliances in the kitchen: refrigerator, oven/range, dishwasher, and microwave. I need the new oven for my own use as well as for future buyers, so I will get one. I will probably get a new refrigerator, and an over-the-oven microwave. Not sure about the dishwasher - it is several years old, but it does seem to work properly and I don't think it's missing any parts. I will also have to replace the faucet to the sink, since the faucet is missing a piece at the top.

It would be easier for me to get a new refrigerator than to get a newer used one, not yet sure about the price difference.

I would love to be able to update the entire kitchen, but I only have a certain amount that I can budget towards updates, and I have to prioritize. I think that painting the entire apartment (it's been nearly ten years since that was done) and getting new flooring (which is a mess in certain areas) is more important. And I think it's important that the kitchen appliances be functional. Even if I could update the entire kitchen, the future buyer may not agree with my taste and may change the appliances. But I thought it would be better to at least have a working oven/range than one that doesn't work...

I'm not sure that having an outdated kitchen with new appliance, mismatched as the look might be, would be worse than having a completely outdated kitchen with old and/or used appliances.

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

eta: If the stove is really broken... then fix it.

My handyman, who's been pretty reliable, told me that the oven couldn't be fixed, or it would cost nearly as much as for a new oven. If the oven was only a couple of years old, I'd try to get it fixed, but it's much older...

Old 12-01-2014, 01:59 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post

or it would cost nearly as much as for a new oven.
Buy a used or VERY basic one.
Only has to last until after the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate