Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,316,519 times

Advertisements

This is actually a two part post.

The first is just a rant. Is there ANY lender out there that doesn't try and rope you in the second you hit their site? Almost all of them have "loan calculators" that, to me, border on bait and switch, and make me bounce off the page and not even want to do business with them.

You enter the numbers. Then hit "calculate", "get quote", or whatever and boom: Before any info is revealed, they ask for name, address, email, etc. I don't want to give all of that out. I made that mistake once and these guys are like vultures. It's gotten so frustrating and annoying that now, I spam THEIR inboxes with names like Elmer Fudd, Bubba Gump, and Up Yours, all accompanied with a dead/invalid email address and the phone number to the BBB.

Can I just shop and get some info from anyone without having to give all that out first? It's not that I'm opposed to giving it out per se. I'm just annoyed at this tactic that, to me, seems desperate if not outright deceptive. And so, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

---------------------------------
The second part is: does it even make sense for me to refi...assuming I even could, taking into account points, fees, etc. Here are my approximate numbers:

State: CA
Type: Refi-Single Family Residence
Amount Owed: $190k
Est Property Value: $210-$220k
Credit: 740-ish
Current Interest: 4.875%
Type: FHA
Property Tax: Approx 2k annually
Mortgage Ins: $1200/annually (I bought at end of Q2 '09, so I've heard that this payment has skyrocketed since then; and has been an impediment to me in the past: the 'lower payment' was effectively washed out by a much, much higher insurance payment, meaning that the bottom line was minimal or no change to how much I spend each month)

Total monthly payment: $1400 (includes taxes into impound acct, aforementioned mortgage insurance)

And yeah. I know that first time/FHA buyers tend to be viewed as third class citizens. But in the 5½ years I've been here, have not been even one day delinquent one time. And my FICO reflects that.

Any input welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:22 PM

10,916 posts, read 21,887,882 times
Ifs: If you have a 30 year and can refi into a 15 year for a similar payment do it. If you have a 30 year and want to refi into a 30 year and you aren't saving significant money you probably shouldn't refi. If you plan on selling in the next 5 years you probably shouldn't refi.

If you do refi go a to local lender that isn't BoA or WF. Get recommendations from friends/family/real estate agent.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,249,630 times
I've had good luck with clients that have used Quicken Loans. Other than that I would echo Brandon's advice and go to someone local.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,396,396 times
I totally agree with you on your rant part. That is definitely becoming the norm. It's rare these days to find any site that will give you a quote for anything at all without wanting your entire life history first. I refuse to do it also, which makes shopping around more difficult, which I suppose some businesses might consider a plus, but also makes it more difficult for any one company to get my business. I usually do as Brandon said, and start asking everyone I know for recommendations, and then go in in person, instead of using the website. I'm very anti-"make you sign up before giving any information", and my company's real estate website does not do that (though it was an option) because I'm so adamantly against it.

I recently did a refi through a local credit union in my area. They paid for all my closing costs (they did NOT roll them into the new loan like most banks do on "no closing costs" refi). So look into whether any credit unions have that as an option. Note, my credit union required 20% equity to do a refi at all.

Your main problem here, and why I wouldn't be ready to refi yet myself with your numbers is that you haven't reached 20% equity to get rid of that darn PMI. Once you can do that, refi'ing is a no-brainer. Make that go away as fast as you can. But most banks right now are wanting 20 or even 25% equity to do the refi in the first place, let alone to do it without the PMI.

Also, if you are talking about going back to another 30 year loan, bankrate.com is showing the national average today as just over 4%, so you are likely talking about cutting less than a percentage point. If you could get rid of the PMI, I'd say to do it. But unless you can find someone like my credit union who does a true no cost refi, it probably isn't worth it for less than 1% savings and still having the PMI on there.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM

47 posts, read 87,440 times
Aimloan.com Use them a lot in my business.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,977,542 times
QuickenLoans is using this aggravating technique too. Do not use any online site--my advice. For calculations use bankrate.com

Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,150,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

I spam THEIR inboxes with names like Elmer Fudd, Bubba Gump, and Up Yours, all accompanied with a dead/invalid email address
I think we have worked together before. Glad to hear you are still doing well.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,735,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I recently did a refi through a local credit union in my area. They paid for all my closing costs (they did NOT roll them into the new loan like most banks do on "no closing costs" refi). So look into whether any credit unions have that as an option. Note, my credit union required 20% equity to do a refi at all.
They did NOT pay your closing costs. It's in your interest rate. I guarantee you 100% that if you wanted to pay your own closing costs, you would have gotten a lower rate. Banks/Credit Unions don't do anything for free. It's the new way of paying closing costs without increasing the loan amount so people think it's free, but you're paying for it over the life of your loan.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:58 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,316,519 times
Thanks for the tips so far. Keep 'em coming.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM

17,685 posts, read 29,640,200 times
Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
They did NOT pay your closing costs. It's in your interest rate. I guarantee you 100% that if you wanted to pay your own closing costs, you would have gotten a lower rate.
We had no mortgage, but then decided we wanted to borrow $20K for some landscaping.
Our credit union ate $1600 in fees.
Loan is 3.25% for 5 years.
I looked at rates and no way could have gotten lower at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate