Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM

22,820 posts, read 6,430,285 times

Advertisements

We lived in a modular/manufactured home for 20 years and are renting it out now going on 10 years...
(it was put here 10 years before we bought it)..It's on a full basement, has a deck, an attached garage
and is on over an acre in an area of acre+ lots. It does not look like a trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We lived in a modular/manufactured home for 20 years and are renting it out now going on 10 years...
(it was put here 10 years before we bought it)..It's on a full basement, has a deck, an attached garage
and is on over an acre in an area of acre+ lots. It does not look like a trailer.
That sounds like my parents' home. When they retired they moved to a 30-acre property in a very rural area where it would have been difficult or costly to get skilled labor for homebuilding in. Their home was custom-designed and built in two sections in a factory and delivered by truck where it was installed on a full basement. It's a ranch-style house with standard wood-frame construction with good insulation and wood siding on the exterior, and large picture windows in the living room and dining room. It's a fairly modest house as befits empty-nester retirees, but it seemed to me to be better-constructed than the house where I grew up, which was built on site in the normal way but where it seemed the builder did everything in the cheapest possible way.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,183,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
From someone who lives in a Mobile Home in an upscale community You are right somebody needs to learn. Google PotNets. A premier mobilehome community on Rehoboth Bay.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,130,452 times
Quote:
Mobile home are still being built today (as are modular homes).

Most people will never need to know the difference as they won't be buying/building either one.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:58 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,899,404 times
Quote:
Your ezine author is no doubt a modular builder, a self proclaimed expert. His first sentence gave it away:
Quote:
Modular homes are increasing in popularity as people realize that they are equal or better than traditional site built homes

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7299816
A couple of very experienced folks nailed the definitions. There are some very nice modulars, but I am of the opinion stick built is hard to beat. But that is just MY opinion. I think the OP needs to stop letting others' opinions or misconceptions influence how she feels. What is the quote? Be independent of the good opinion of others ~ Abraham Maslow.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,953,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
From someone who lives in a Mobile Home in an upscale community You are right somebody needs to learn. Google PotNets. A premier mobilehome community on Rehoboth Bay.
I stayed at Pot Nets last summer. My husband's grandparents had a place there for a few years and now his Uncle does.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times
Quote:
Really? Where did you get that information?
Mobile Homes are built every day, bought, delivered, set up and lived in.
They are not and never have been Modular Homes and have never been advertised as such.

Clayton Homes build mobile homes.
There are also Amish built mobile homes that are manufactured daily.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,826,683 times
Mr. Autumn, please tell the court if there was a time your house had wheels underneath it and was moved along a highway.

Thank you, no further questions!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM

635 posts, read 783,016 times
Same thing only different. Newer trailers are called Mobile homes.They have better insulation and windows. They also pulled out the frame and axles. Saving money.
Mobile homes seem to fall apart and after so many years they are hard to get loans for. Kind of shows how much they are worth.
Their affortability is where they excel.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Mr. Autumn, please tell the court if there was a time your house had wheels underneath it and was moved along a highway.

Thank you, no further questions!
Ummm, like this? ;-)

http://www.wolfehousebuildingmovers....nburg-va-1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate