Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
We definitely prefer a house without a pool but just in case wanted to get an idea of the costs to remove one.
I have removed 3 from rental house I bought in Florida were I live so prices are different but I can do it for 900 to 1000 dollars I assume you mean an in ground pool.

I have the bottom Jack hammered to put holes in it.
Use a BobCat to push in the sides
Fill with dirt
Small landfill in the back yard when I sell someone that puts in a pool will not like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
If you fill in the pool do you have to disclose that when you sell the house?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
I paid a friend 1500 to do the same thing as tworent said. This was back in the late 90's in Fl. The county sent someone out to see that the pool was actually filled in and adjusted my taxes accordingly. The fellow that bought my house already knew about it.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:30 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Reading these response, it seems that the cost of maintenance would be much less than the cost of removal. There would be plenty left over from the 'potential removal' budget to pay for attractive hardscaping and landscaping too. Plus, entertaining would be so easy -- invite friends and neighbors for a pool party rather than a formal dinner.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:04 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Reading these response, it seems that the cost of maintenance would be much less than the cost of removal. There would be plenty left over from the 'potential removal' budget to pay for attractive hardscaping and landscaping too. Plus, entertaining would be so easy -- invite friends and neighbors for a pool party rather than a formal dinner.
Depends where you live. There's the cost of electricity............gas if it's heated. Increased taxes and home owner's insurance.

It's really strange how tax assessors value inground pools. In my area..........they don't like them, so your average ig pool only adds about 10K in assessment to the home. If I go out to Cape Cod (which is surroundedd by water and known for its beaches and is only 50 miles as the crow flies from me............assessors whack ig pools at close to full retail installation cost! Even if it's 15 years old and shabby.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
After doing detailed estimate (for FL) we ended up with $12K+ for pool removal.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM

492 posts, read 637,833 times
Our childhood neighbors filled in their pool by jackhammering holes in the side and then filling it in with dirt. Because they didn't want to take out the side cinderblock fences they couldn't bring in heavy equipment, but tamped the dirt the best they could. They then covered the former pool with a deck, and extended their house out to within 4 feet of where the formal pool was.

Their house extension fell into the sinkhole in their back yard about 9 months later.

I'd want to know if a swimming pool was filled in, and how it was filled in.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Our childhood neighbors filled in their pool by jackhammering holes in the side and then filling it in with dirt. Because they didn't want to take out the side cinderblock fences they couldn't bring in heavy equipment, but tamped the dirt the best they could. They then covered the former pool with a deck, and extended their house out to within 4 feet of where the formal pool was.

Their house extension fell into the sinkhole in their back yard about 9 months later.

I'd want to know if a swimming pool was filled in, and how it was filled in.
I was going to say the same thing and then came to this last post here.

I know too many yards and subdivisions where there was that area, however small, where the debris went in construction, whether masonry or natural as in trees. But talking about those that were masonry and boulder dumps, lots of soil sinking and adjusting going on below, around and on top of the concrete and boulders. I see one quite often that has several small pools that wildlife enjoy.

All the ones I know of have sinkholes. Although, nowadays with the big sinkhole opening occurrences, maybe I should call them depressions. However, after several years they are great slopes and many feet depressions.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
I wouldn't mind a pool; today I said that if we end up buying a house with a pool, please can we keep it just for one year? But the husband says "then you pay the maintenance". I've heard you can't just fill one in because of drainage issues; you have to actually remove the old pool. So the higher end estimate is probably more realistic and a starting point. Thanks for the details, Chet!

OK, lets think about this for a second. Can someone who owns a pool chime in on monthly maintenance ? I'm guessing $150 month in extra water, clorine, and if it's heated.

VS what someone said $15,000 dollars ?

Geeze, the maintenance is a drop in the bucket compared to getting rid of it..

I'm looking at buying a house with a pole barn, anyone know how much to tear them down ?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM

524 posts, read 574,191 times
When we filled ours in, it was $5,500 and it was broken up and hauled away. It needed a new liner at the time and would have needed water delivered to refill, so that was $3,000. It also cost us about 1,000 a season to run and took up most of the backyard. So within 2.5 years we were at a net + on taking it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate