Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM

274 posts, read 427,381 times

Advertisements

We had a condo burn down in 2012 here at the Outer banks. They are in the midst of reconstruction, and due to changes in the setback laws we had to move the swimming pool to a different location (condo was built in the late 70's).

We paid 17k to demo and haul off the concrete, then fill the hole with sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I know people who have left the pool there and built steps into it and used ti for parties, and lounging..They had a fire pit and hung out there....

Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
I have an inground pool, but I'm in NY so we get only get to use it a couple of months out of the year. Our electric bills from running the filter double during that time but for us, it's worth it because we do a lot of entertaining and practically live in the pool. Chemicals and such add another hundred or so for our pool season but once the water is stable it's only a matter of adding chlorine tablets and checking the chlorine level.

Is hubby worried about cost of maintaining it, or the work involved in maintaining it? It would be need to be vacuumed when debris falls to the bottom, and somebody has to skim the leaves out of it daily, but I find it relaxing to do. You don't need to hire a professional to take care of the pool.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:55 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
Hubby is partly concerned about the cost of maintaining a pool, but more to the point he wants a back yard for gardening etc. If there was plenty of yard besides the pool deck he might be more amenable. I could spend hours floating in a pool, maybe one of those inflatable chairs with a drink holder?

Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
Hubby is partly concerned about the cost of maintaining a pool, but more to the point he wants a back yard for gardening etc. If there was plenty of yard besides the pool deck he might be more amenable. I could spend hours floating in a pool, maybe one of those inflatable chairs with a drink holder?
oh yeah.. nothing beats floating around the pool aimlessly just watching the clouds go by. Ahh, I can't wait for summer. We're in winter right now and it's snowing..

if he really insists on a garden there is this...

Garden Pool | A nonprofit organization to develop and teach sustainable ways to grow food.

and you wouldn't have to remove the pool.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
OK, lets think about this for a second. Can someone who owns a pool chime in on monthly maintenance ? I'm guessing $150 month in extra water, clorine, and if it's heated.

VS what someone said $15,000 dollars ?

Geeze, the maintenance is a drop in the bucket compared to getting rid of it..

I'm looking at buying a house with a pole barn, anyone know how much to tear them down ?
If you're nearby, we'll come get it!

Quote:
We DO spend hours floating in our pool. When we bought this house, we immediately set about getting a deck and pool. Ours is an "ON-ground" pool (not above, not in -- it's both) - it's 13' x 26' so not a small thing. We are in the pool in May as soon as the water temp hits 86 and we run it until the end of Sept or longer. We are looking at a heater for next season.

Our pool costs are minimal - maybe $50 a month for running the pump plus whatever it costs for chemicals - I buy off-season and save for next year.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
I have a 40k gallon pool and it really doesn't cost that much to keep it sparkly. It's another pet, basically. This forum will keep you completely away from the pool stores, you can do a pool with just a Wal-Mart, believe it or not.

Trouble Free Pool

Old 01-06-2015, 05:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Why not fill it in with dirt leave the border for the garden how much does dirt cost.http://www.recyclart.org/2012/02/lawn-pool/

Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Reading these response, it seems that the cost of maintenance would be much less than the cost of removal. There would be plenty left over from the 'potential removal' budget to pay for attractive hardscaping and landscaping too. Plus, entertaining would be so easy -- invite friends and neighbors for a pool party rather than a formal dinner.
All mine were for low end rentals houses the pool had to go for insurance.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
much cheaper to fill it in and much easier to change your mind later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate