U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM

4,084 posts, read 6,255,540 times
Default Radio show ideas

I've been asked to be a speaker on a financial advice radio show on the subject of real estate.

I'm so entrenched in every aspect of it, that I'd like to know what kinds of questions the general public has about the current market? What topic would Joe Schmo want to know more about?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM

8,316 posts, read 9,863,872 times
well, what markets will this radio show be broadcast to specifically?

Markets are different around the country. Some have tons of new construction. some have nothing but resales...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM

1,405 posts, read 3,225,485 times
You may want to prepare some simple, sensible, yet not obvious observations which help you establish credibility. I suspect being able to talk about your local market rather than the national RE market as a whole will be helpful to you. Most folks have heard a LOT about the national RE picture, but aren't well informed on thier local market (s). Get some detailed local MLS stats and quote them, and you'll look very smart indeed. "Joe Schmo" knows in agonizing detail about the national picture, but somewhat less about the town and county he lives in.

And as a long time broadcaster, I have one piece of advice: Look up "uptalk" (I use the term in it's sense specific to radio broadcast) and guard against it.

Best of luck!
David Beckett

Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM

It'll be in south Texas (SA/Austin, etc)

I definitely don't want to talk national, as there's no such thing as a national real estate market. We're still in a pretty solid market here.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM

540 posts, read 1,345,728 times
Kev,
I've been doing a local real estate radio show here in the mid-Willamette Valley in Oregon since last January. I have all the shows in an audio archive on the web, you could take a look at them and get some ideas for topics if it will help...feel free. I won't post my url here (don't want to get it cut by the mods for advertising), but it IS in my profile.

Each show has a market update (local); an interview or discussion, an e-mail question of the day, and a Real Estate Showcase. Recent topics: Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act, First-time home buyer financing programs still available, How to Harness the Equity in Your Home...

Good luck. Radio is a lot of fun.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 PM

8,316 posts, read 9,863,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

I definitely don't want to talk national, as there's no such thing as a national real estate market. We're still in a pretty solid market here.
Oh boy, not the "no such thing as a national market" argument again...

I asked the question because you might have people concerned about more than one market. I didn't know if it was SIMULCASTED or not.

No need to debate a national market since we all know what's happening in major bubble areas are affecting smaller markets.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:00 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,554,904 times
Quote:

You may have local listeners who are selling locally but wanting information about buying somewhere else in the country. You might want to be prepared to be able to at least direct them to a resource where they could get information on another market.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Thanks Dave. I'll definitely check that out. I'm looking forward to doing a little radio.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,023,883 times
Quote:
I've been asked to be a speaker on a financial advice radio show on the subject of real estate.

I'm so entrenched in every aspect of it, that I'd like to know what kinds of questions the general public has about the current market? What topic would Joe Schmo want to know more about?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.
Kev, I don't have any expertise to add to the great advice and source that you've received.

I wish you the best of the show, and know you'll do a great job.

I think CJ was implying that you should have some national statistics to share, so how about quoting Mr. Yun.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,800,521 times
Average Jane here...in this market I think I would have liked to know more about short sales and foreclosures and what you are really getting yourself into when trying to purchase. (short sale specifically) I know more from this board, but before this knowledge I thought it was just a great deal without all the leg work...didn't realize you could get the whole way to settlement and then it not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate