Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:41 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
They thought the other one was a better deal. Lower your price if you want to sell sooner than later. I believe this was discussed in a previous thread.
There are any number of reasons why people prefer one house over another. They could have decided the layout worked just that little bit better. Or that they liked having their front door face south instead of north. Or that they liked that the dishwasher was to the right of the sink instead of the left.

Money is far from the only deciding factor when it comes to buying a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There are any number of reasons why people prefer one house over another. They could have decided the layout worked just that little bit better. Or that they liked having their front door face south instead of north. Or that they liked that the dishwasher was to the right of the sink instead of the left.

Money is far from the only deciding factor when it comes to buying a house.
You're correct, money isn't the only factor but it is a big deciding factor.
"I prefer the dishwasher to be on the right of the sink but for this price I'll settle."
"I prefer a north facing door but this house with a south facing door is a better deal than the other one with the north facing door."
"The layout isn't right for me, at this price."
"The kitchen is too small for me at this price."

Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You're correct, money isn't the only factor but it is a big deciding factor.
"I prefer the dishwasher to be on the right of the sink but for this price I'll settle."
"I prefer a north facing door but this house with a south facing door is a better deal than the other one with the north facing door."
"The layout isn't right for me, at this price."
"The kitchen is too small for me at this price."
"Price fixes all deficiencies." It is an inarguable real estate truism.
After the market talks to sellers, smart sellers listen more readily, sooner, than "other" sellers.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Price fixes all deficiencies." It is an inarguable real estate truism.
After the market talks to sellers, smart sellers listen more readily, sooner, than "other" sellers.

You should be a top producer in your area since you have the 1 and only answer to everything. How do you explain this?

Mike Jaquish - Realty Arts - Real Estate Agent in Cary, North Carolina - Reviews & Ratings - Zillow

Only 5 listings? No closings since October? No sales as the seller's agent since May? Zero reviews?

No wonder you have so much time to comment on message boards.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The people I know think more along the lines of "this is what I prefer, and a few thousand dollars doesn't make enough of a difference for me to not get what I prefer." YMMV, but most people think slight differences between comparable homes are not a deficiency that need to be fixed, they are just slight differences.

When I bought my new construction house, I had the choice of 2 different models. They were roughly $3000 different in price, and I bought the one that was lower square footage, so technically, I got less for my money. But I loved the layout of my model, and there were things about the other layout that I knew would always bug me. Because they were so close in price, money was a complete non-issue in the decision. Now granted, if someone is wildly overpriced, it's a factor, but I don't believe that is the OP's situation.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
You should be a top producer in your area since you have the 1 and only answer to everything. How do you explain this?

Mike Jaquish - Realty Arts - Real Estate Agent in Cary, North Carolina - Reviews & Ratings - Zillow

Only 5 listings? No closings since October? No sales as the seller's agent since May? Zero reviews?

Thanks for your concern. Are you sure I haven't had a closing since October?
Are you sure I have 5 listings?
Just as sure as you are that your house is not overpriced?
Error on all three assumptions, apparently driven by the common sad mentality of "McDonalds sells the most hamburgers, so they are the best, and I want an agent with the highest numbers so I know they are just as good as McDonalds."
For some of us, bragging on big numbers is the definition of success. For others, sitting with individuals and enjoying helping that one person meet their goals is the definition of success. The former is not my ambition. I work with individual people, and leave it to others to admire numbers.

Reviews?
I never bother people for testimonials or reviews, and haven't for many years.
I think the corruption of real estate data by "reviews" continues to be a distraction to consumers like yourself who desperately come to the internet seeking help.
I also don't mind that most of my business comes from referrals from clients and repeat engagements by past clients.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-21-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I work with individual people, and leave it to others to admire numbers.
So numbers aren't important to you? That's interesting, considering the field you've chosen to earn your living.

I have bought and sold 4 different homes in my adult life, and the current one is the 5th. Each of these has been in a different real estate market, and has spanned 3 different states. In my experiences, those agents who come strongly recommended via word of mouth also have the customer reviews and numbers that back up those recommendations.

Here's a link to all the homes in my zip code, within the city limits, +/- $15k of our listing price. Based on the list prices and the sq footages, please tell me again how I'm overpriced.

35756 Real Estate for Sale : Weichert.com

Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
So numbers aren't important to you? That's interesting, considering the field you've chosen to earn your living.

I have bought and sold 4 different homes in my adult life, and the current one is the 5th. Each of these has been in a different real estate market, and has spanned 3 different states. In my experiences, those agents who come strongly recommended via word of mouth also have the customer reviews and numbers that back up those recommendations.

Here's a link to all the homes in my zip code, within the city limits, +/- $15k of our listing price. Based on the list prices and the sq footages, please tell me again how I'm overpriced.

35756 Real Estate for Sale : Weichert.com

Those listings aren't where you should be looking for answers. Until Sold and Closed, they are just an inventory/competition group.
A better focus:
In the last 4 months, how many comparable homes have Sold and Closed, at what relative price, and with what financial concessions?
What is your comparable market absorption rate?
In the last 4 months:
How many offers have you had?
How many contracts?
How many showings?

If you are trying to sell a house after an extended time on market, those are much, much more important numbers to you than any number I can possibly generate in my business in NC.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Our average days on market right now is 109 days, or ~4 months. We are now average. (listed in Sept)
Comparable homes in my specific competition area (zoned for a particular high school) have sold anywhere from 220k-250's, depending on age, finishes & square footage. (and of course a lot have sold in higher price ranges & lower, but that's not our competition)

Most recent closing in our subdivision was down the street from us. Sold for $232,900. It has slightly larger square footage than ours, but it's the first house inside the subdivision and next to a busy (and getting busier) road and a storm drain ditch. (i.e. not a desirable lot)

the bottom line is....supply>demand right now in my price range & area, so it takes a while. Even if we slashed the price to below market value, there is no guarantee we would get an offer this week or next week or next month.

One couple who looked at our house and really liked it scheduled a 2nd showing and then cancelled b/c they decided to INCREASE their budget to get what they wanted. So, no, it isn't always about cheapest being better....like your McDonald's analogy earlier.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:22 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:

Zillow, correct info? There's a laugher. I've sold over 300 homes in the last few years but according to Z it's like 80. In the last 12 months I've closed about 75 homes but according to Z it's like 13. If you're relying on Z for correct info that's one of your problems.

In an absurd example, if your home was $1.00 would it be sold quickly? $1000? $100,000? Yes, price is the reason a home sells. Whether you accept that fact or not is another story. I don't why you're so spiteful towards everyone that's tried to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate