Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 AM

104 posts, read 144,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
And to still find time to post on the CD real estate board. Impressive.
wow, some really juvenile replies here by pros.
hang in there, you have sold several homes and you are very educated on the facts.
this is an emotional and stressful process, they know that and are just focusing on weakness.
sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 AM

Default @ tn2hsv........

I have some advice for you........ If you are not pressed to sell and have time to do this.
Why don't you pull you house off the market and let the listing expire? Then sell your own home.

I have sold two homes for sale by owner and bought one by a FISBO. If you save yourself
this huge reality fee you can afford to cut your price and be cheaper then you competition.
you will still come out ahead on our target price

Sometimes its not possible and you have to use the necessary evils
I would always be a FISBO if I could everytime. It really is easy to sell yourself.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalley View Post
wow, some really juvenile replies here by pros.
hang in there, you have sold several homes and you are very educated on the facts.
this is an emotional and stressful process, they know that and are just focusing on weakness.
sad.
You are so right about the involvement of emotions, but fall short of mentioning how emotions cloud judgment. We see it all the time. While, it may entertain you to take that little poke at pros, you are misleading the OP while pretending to offer support, just so you can entertain yourself with the poke.
She has been offered a LOT of good help in these forums, and should not be misled regarding the status of her sale. It is truly unfortunate that she is well past average time on market and going deeper every day. Holding costs, stress from showings, listing going stale are all very real concerns for a seller with elevated DOM. Of course, that only matters if the goal is to sell the house.

The people offering advice and real help have a great deal more experience in market dynamics than a homeowner who has closed a few personal sales over many years.
We routinely offer a great amount of good advice, no strings attached.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 AM

Default Word............

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You are so right about the involvement of emotions, but fall short of mentioning how emotions cloud judgment. We see it all the time. While, it may entertain you to take that little poke at pros, you are misleading the OP while pretending to offer support, just so you can entertain yourself with the poke.
She has been offered a LOT of good help in these forums, and should not be misled regarding the status of her sale. It is truly unfortunate that she is well past average time on market and going deeper every day. Holding costs, stress from showings, listing going stale are all very real concerns for a seller with elevated DOM. Of course, that only matters if the goal is to sell the house.

The people offering advice and real help have a great deal more experience in market dynamics than a homeowner who has closed a few personal sales over many years.
We routinely offer a great amount of good advice, no strings attached.
exactly, you seem to have a good amount of understanding on the emotional aspects
of a seller. what I haven't seen is understanding on the pro level here. And no I am not in this to
mislead. I can relate because I am listed also and went through the same exact listing problems she
is now. Even though I was told I was over priced I knew from the facts I was at a good number.

I have had plenty of interest on my place and in contract as we speak. Even though I was asked to lower
2 times in less then 30 days!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
exactly, you seem to have a good amount of understanding on the emotional aspects
of a seller. what I haven't seen is understanding on the pro level here. And no I am not in this to
mislead. I can relate because I am listed also and went through the same exact listing problems she
is now. Even though I was told I was over priced I knew from the facts I was at a good number.

I have had plenty of interest on my place and in contract as we speak. Even though I was asked to lower
2 times in less then 30 days!
"Understanding on the pro level?"
Would that mean telling her she is priced just right, and her buyer is right around the corner?
That would be "cheerleading," not "professional understanding."

Congratulations on your contract. Professionally speaking... Sometimes that is where the real stress begins to foment.
Did you spend 120 DOM in a market with a 109 DOM average? Or, similar stats?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Default let me see.....

Quote:
"Understanding on the pro level?"
Would that mean telling her she is priced just right, and her buyer is right around the corner?
That would be "cheerleading," not "professional understanding."

Congratulations on your contract. Professionally speaking... Sometimes that is where the real stress begins to foment.
Did you spend 120 DOM in a market with a 109 DOM average? Or, similar stats?

I am on the market 60 days now. Of which I was locked up in previous contract for 3 weeks.
so premature asking to lower in my case.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I am on the market 60 days now. Of which I was locked up in previous contract for 3 weeks.
so premature asking to lower in my case.
What is your average DOM for comparable sales?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
It is truly unfortunate that she is well past average time on market and going deeper every day.
Average DOM for comps is 109 and I'm at 120. 11 days. You consider that WELL PAST AVERAGE? And that includes the Holiday season, and positively dreadful weather we've had locally this month. According to our agent, things are very quiet all over right now and we usually don't see activity pick up until after Superbowl Sunday. It's not like I'm some sort of anomaly in my market. Everyone is in the same boat. There just aren't a lot of contracts being written here this time of year.

I totally understand your points, as they are GENERAL rules of real estate. But as they say, every market is different. And you clearly don't know my market. My agent does. And other people I know in the real estate market locally are echoing the same thing.

Last week, my home was on the HSV area board of realtors weekly caravan, and about 20 different agents came through, all from different agencies (not just the firm my agent is with). I asked for feedback, specifically on price, just to get opinions from agents other than mine. They all concurred that it was priced right, and it's just the "slow time", and will sell.

Unlike you, these are agents that work here, make their living here, and understand THIS market. They have no clue about the nuances of your market, just as you don't about mine.

So please stop beating your drum! It's really tiresome, and despite what you say otherwise, it shows just how much time you have on your hands.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Average DOM for comps is 109 and I'm at 120. 11 days. You consider that WELL PAST AVERAGE? And that includes the Holiday season, and positively dreadful weather we've had locally this month. According to our agent, things are very quiet all over right now and we usually don't see activity pick up until after Superbowl Sunday. It's not like I'm some sort of anomaly in my market. Everyone is in the same boat. There just aren't a lot of contracts being written here this time of year.

I totally understand your points, as they are GENERAL rules of real estate. But as they say, every market is different. And you clearly don't know my market. My agent does. And other people I know in the real estate market locally are echoing the same thing.

Last week, my home was on the HSV area board of realtors weekly caravan, and about 20 different agents came through, all from different agencies (not just the firm my agent is with). I asked for feedback, specifically on price, just to get opinions from agents other than mine. They all concurred that it was priced right, and it's just the "slow time", and will sell.

Unlike you, these are agents that work here, make their living here, and understand THIS market. They have no clue about the nuances of your market, just as you don't about mine.

So please stop beating your drum! It's really tiresome, and despite what you say otherwise, it shows just how much time you have on your hands.
So, your comps did not have holidays included? Are they aged out, and you need new comps?

You ask your questions on a national real estate professionals forum, and received solid answers to your questions from qualified professionals.
It's what we do. We give time freely. If I tell you only what you want to hear, is my time then well-spent?
I just cannot lie to you and tell you that you have nothing to be concerned about. It would be an unprofessional disservice to mislead you thusly.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:06 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
So, your comps did not have holidays included? Are they aged out, and you need new comps?
The most recent comps stat sheet I could find went through November. I don't have (or have misplaced) the comps stat sheet through December. I'll ask for another once January is over.

You ask your questions on a national real estate professionals forum, and received solid answers to your questions from qualified professionals.
Yes, I've asked questions on here, but not ONCE have I asked for input on my price. An agent in Phoenix or San Francisco or Cary, NC doesn't have knowledge of the local market to make meaningful commentary on price in Madison, AL.

And within Madison, AL, there are still a lot of variables. Is the property inside the city limits, or simply have a Madison mailing address? Big difference. Madison City schools are consistently in the top 5 school systems in the state and highly desirable, and the home prices are reflective of that. You can have the same house, built by same builder, same floorplan, both with a Madison address, with a $20k difference in price because one is in the city limits and one is not. There are even properties with the same zip code as mine that are considerably cheaper because they aren't within the city limits. Also, the city of Madison straddles 2 counties. One of the counties has different property taxes, amenities, etc. than the other. All these things make a big difference in prices and what homes sell for around here. That's why I stick to the local realtors when it comes to opinions on price, and why I've never come to this forum asking questions regarding price. Would you want an agent from the HSV area to look at your listings online and tell you you're priced too high, knowing nothing about the nuances of your market? If they did, would you follow their advice? Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate