Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 AM

210 posts, read 318,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Picture 6, move sofa away from foot of sunken staircase. Back of the sofa facing kitchen/raised level just doesn't look conversational.

Picture 10, remove the highboy dresser that blocks the window. I envision ocean breeze and billowing curtains more if I can see the window.

Picture 14, I would remove the towel and bath accessories. The towel looks a little used.

Picture 15, remove pompoms from ceiling. A little too much hot pink and too distracting.

Picture 17, remove the dolls. Younger people don't often collect dolls.

Picture 18, I would move the bed so the headboard is against the windows. Put the chair next to the fireplace to open the room more and define space better. Maybe remove a piece of furniture or two.

Picture 19, too much of a mishmash of things. Don't want to see the back of a desk chair in a picture. Doesn't feel inviting to me.

The outdoor pictures are not exciting enough. Looks too sedate and can't picture myself enjoying a golf course. Not appealing at all to an active younger person.

You must have some pretty window views, yet I don't see any in any of these pictures. I would reshoot the yard from inside the home. Have some light colored curtains billowing with fresh ocean air. People will imagine themselves enjoying the home more.

Maybe some outdoor pictures with some people in the background actually golfing.

Staircase foyer pictures are iffy. Very dramatic but if I was a young parent I would be nervous open such an open stairwell.

I like your color scheme, very classic and soothing, the different shades of blue fit right into the elegant oceanside home context without being expected or dull.
Adding on to the above great suggestions:

Pictures 2-3 - remove that blue sofa, and group the chair and small table together in its place.

Pictures 4-6 : remove that leather chair, and move the greenish fabric chair that is off to the side in front of that wood wall\panel (pic 5) into its place. (Consider rearranging this whole area so the sofa isn't at the base of the stairs).

Dining room: do all the chairs match? If so, remove the chair covers. My eyes are distracted by the uncovered chairs and covered chairs together, and it would feel more airy in here without the covers.

Picture 11 - Change the bedskirt to a solid neutral

Picture 18 - feels disjointed with the furniture in here. Remove that little stepstool under the window and consider removing the desk and chair near the dresser. There's a lot of furniture in here but not really a "grouping" that is inviting.

Picture 19 - this room has way too much furniture and does not look very functional. Is it a bedroom? An office? A study? If there are two desks in there, either remove one or both, or separate the room into two different spaces - desk/study on one side and bedroom on the other. Remove the chair next to the bed, and remove the blue chair under the window. If this is a larger space, maybe a room divider of some sort to make it into two more cohesive spaces within the one would work.

It's really a beautiful home! There's just a lot of furniture in there - especially chairs, chairs and more chairs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM

524 posts, read 572,406 times
You have a lovely house. I think you are getting accurate feed back from the buyers who have seen it. The problem is the layout, even you seem to want more rooms. The house has the square footage, but based on your description, it is missing key things that someone would expect of a house that size. 3 bedrooms (this wouldn't bother me), no family room, small eating area in the closed in kitchen, detached garage. It is a weird layout and won't work for most people. It is also outdated. So what it is not 1980's outdated (though it looks 1980's to me). If the buyer feels the bathrooms need to be gutted it doesn't matter if it is 1940's, 1980's, or 2000's. It is still $$$

It sounds like you bought it because you thought you were getting a deal. You will either have to pass that deal on to the next buyers or wait for the perfect buyers who love this style and layout. They are out there, probably empty nesters, but it may take some time.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
You have a lovely house. I think you are getting accurate feed back from the buyers who have seen it. The problem is the layout, even you seem to want more rooms. The house has the square footage, but based on your description, it is missing key things that someone would expect of a house that size. 3 bedrooms (this wouldn't bother me), no family room, small eating area in the closed in kitchen, detached garage. It is a weird layout and won't work for most people. It is also outdated. So what it is not 1980's outdated (though it looks 1980's to me). If the buyer feels the bathrooms need to be gutted it doesn't matter if it is 1940's, 1980's, or 2000's. It is still $$$
Correct.

Furniture and decor are not the actual problem. Moving a sofa is not going to sell the house.

"Bad layout" is one of those intangibles that changes over time and can only be compensated by adjusting the price.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,614,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Because we as a society have been manipulated by the media to believe that ownership of physical objects is a weakness and an illness, and that all homes should look like sterile, unlived-in model homes without a hint of individuality or personal interest within.
Very on-point.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Your house is gorgeous. Most buyers don't have "designer" taste, and that is a designer house. The right buyer will come along, just make sure it's priced correctly in the meantime.
I definitely see a retiree relocating from another state appreciating a home like this.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Sunken living rooms are outdated and costly to construct. (I didn't see where Bo said it was "horrible" ? ) The same reason that people with young children don't like stairs or decks off the upper level. Families with young children do not want sunken rooms. Remember, people look at the house and try to picture themselves living in it.

The space over the garage is not a plus either, it is more costly to heat and cool. Some states won't allow that to be called living area either. It's an inexpensive way to get an office or a guest room, and should be reflected in a lower price. The house is beautiful, it needs to be marketed and priced to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Many people are not that crazy about sunken living rooms either. Easy to not realize there is a step and fall.

Definitely, not conducive to "aging in place."
Points well taken. Although it would be simple to ramp a few steps to age in place in the home.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,480,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Your house is gorgeous. Most buyers don't have "designer" taste, and that is a designer house. The right buyer will come along, just make sure it's priced correctly in the meantime.

I was a Realtor for several years; and thank goodness the majority of homeowners do not have designer taste, but have well kept clean homes, ready to show.

Then.... there are the other kind. The borderline hoarders, and just plain slobs with a sink full of dishes and an unflushed toilet here or there, unmade beds and other types of slobs. Even when they know the house is going to be shown.

Give me the neat clean ready to show home all day long. Just don't cook broccoli, cabbage or Brussels sprouts, or fish before a showing.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,964,195 times
For the market, the house is overpriced.

Lower the price - significantly to overcome age, dated floorplan........and high HOA.

It's not competitive.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:25 PM

51,619 posts, read 25,691,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelklos View Post
Adding on to the above great suggestions:

Pictures 2-3 - remove that blue sofa, and group the chair and small table together in its place.

Pictures 4-6 : remove that leather chair, and move the greenish fabric chair that is off to the side in front of that wood wall\panel (pic 5) into its place. (Consider rearranging this whole area so the sofa isn't at the base of the stairs).

Dining room: do all the chairs match? If so, remove the chair covers. My eyes are distracted by the uncovered chairs and covered chairs together, and it would feel more airy in here without the covers.

Picture 11 - Change the bedskirt to a solid neutral

Picture 18 - feels disjointed with the furniture in here. Remove that little stepstool under the window and consider removing the desk and chair near the dresser. There's a lot of furniture in here but not really a "grouping" that is inviting.

Picture 19 - this room has way too much furniture and does not look very functional. Is it a bedroom? An office? A study? If there are two desks in there, either remove one or both, or separate the room into two different spaces - desk/study on one side and bedroom on the other. Remove the chair next to the bed, and remove the blue chair under the window. If this is a larger space, maybe a room divider of some sort to make it into two more cohesive spaces within the one would work.

It's really a beautiful home! There's just a lot of furniture in there - especially chairs, chairs and more chairs
Lot of chairs and pillows, but few areas that say, "Come here and sit down a spell."

No afghans, cups of coffee, open books -- no little vignettes.

Does anyone have a an example of a home that has photos that are invite you in?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,480,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lot of chairs and pillows, but few areas that say, "Come here and sit down a spell."

No afghans, cups of coffee, open books -- no little vignettes.

Does anyone have a an example of a home that has photos that are invite you in?

It would not be acceptable to post photos of someone else's home interior without permission. And nevermind the chatzkes, misc. decorating objects, those doesn't matter at this point.

Just go to www.Realtor.com or Zillow or Trulia for scads of interior photos of homes listed on the market with photo permission.

The problem with the subject property is the PRICE. So many people want to get a price that they believe the house is worth. It doesn't work that way.

The market determines the price. And after 60 or 100 showings, it's all about Price/Location/Condition. Someone else on this thread asked the OP about agent feedback after showings. I don't recall reading a reply to that. If their agent is honest and not afraid to give them the actual feedback, then they are being stubborn and don't really have a need to move. Many agents will waste their time with this type of seller. They will also use that house to sell others. Happens all the time.

You can change the price and condition. Obviously the OP's problem is not location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate