Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:44 PM

628 posts, read 2,041,070 times

Advertisements

Our home was on the market for a few months with very few showings and only a couple of interested folks from open houses.
We are in a very popular neighborhood. The home was built in 2005 and is 2900 sq ft with 5 bedrooms and 3 baths.
We have received some feedback that our home may look "drab" on the outside as we are an all gray brick home with blue/gray accents.

First our realtor suggested we paint the door yellow (one of the complaints on the inside though was too bright of paint so we were worried about that). Then her suggestion was black door and adding black shutters and black hardware to garage.
I can see the black hardware looking nice--but black door and shutters--if anything isn't that MORE DRAB?

Thoughts?
It was rather gloomy out the day we took the photo so maybe that is part of it?

most homes in the neighborhood are the cookie cutter brown with brown tone brick (hardly less drab in my opinion)
We took the home off the market and are repainting some rooms on the inside now to relist in a month to hopefully spark new interest.

Here is a photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
We are in a very popular neighborhood.
The home was built in 2005 and is 2900 sq ft with 5 bedrooms and 3 baths.
We have received some feedback that our home may look "drab" on the outside...

Our home was on the market for a few months with very few showings
and only a couple of interested folks from open houses.

Thoughts?
How many other homes are currently for sale in the vicinity?
How many of them are new or newer than yours?
How are they priced? How many are actually selling?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,730,170 times
I'd leave your exterior alone. The only thing I might consider is painting the front door a lighter color.

The problem with the exterior is then you run into people who hate " yellow", hate shutters, hate the hardware.etc. It puts you into the " darned if you do, darned if you don't " category. There is no accounting for people's tastes.

If the only complaint someone has about your home is that they think the outside is too drab or they need a brighter door, then they are not serious buyers. These are minor, easily changed items.

Have you sat down with your agent and gone over pricing? Are you using the most recent closed comparable sales in the area ? Unless your home is entirely out and out garish on the interior, the problem is usually price more than anything.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:11 PM

175 posts, read 225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I'd leave your exterior alone. The only thing I might consider is painting the front door a lighter color.

The problem with the exterior is then you run into people who hate " yellow", hate shutters, hate the hardware.etc. It puts you into the " darned if you do, darned if you don't " category. There is no accounting for people's tastes.

If the only complaint someone has about your home is that they think the outside is too drab or they need a brighter door, then they are not serious buyers. These are minor, easily changed items.

Have you sat down with your agent and gone over pricing? Are you using the most recent closed comparable sales in the area ? Unless your home is entirely out and out garish on the interior, the problem is usually price more than anything.
Based on the limited information, I'd concur. I don't see anything overtly "wrong" with the exterior of this home; maybe it's drab compared to ostentatious houses around it?

Personally, I'd leave the door color along - matches the rest of the color scheme.

I think WW is right - if OP is really not keeping up with the high demand of the area, there's probably something else wrong, most likely the price.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
The home isn't bad enough, curb appeal wise, to turn off so many buyers that it would impact showings unless your entire neighborhood has incredible gardens and manicured lawns.

You have other problems. Got a link to the interior photos?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:30 PM

We no longer have it listed--as we took it down to start new in the spring.
here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsyGeHxwj5o

Also everything is now out of the house--it is empty.

The plan is to paint the orange tall accent wall gray--the sunroom gray and the bedroom which is lavender and mint gray.

The market info on my subdivision is below. We were listed at $299k and around $103 a square foot. When it mentions the homes for $105,000 that would have been land only. We are one of the newest homes for sale and one of only a few all brick homes. That's also what makes it hard as it is very hard to find comparables--there really aren't any. There are other homes for sale but they are generally at least 5-10 years older. Or you move out of the subdivision but then they are with land--so obviously that adds some cost to them as comparables understandably.
Raineybrook Subdivision in Lafayette 2013 Stats

Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:

The plan is to paint the orange tall accent wall gray--the sunroom gray and the bedroom which is lavender and mint gray.

The market info on my subdivision is below. We were listed at $299k and around $103 a square foot. When it mentions the homes for $105,000 that would have been land only. We are one of the newest homes for sale and one of only a few all brick homes. That's also what makes it hard as it is very hard to find comparables--there really aren't any. There are other homes for sale but they are generally at least 5-10 years older. Or you move out of the subdivision but then they are with land--so obviously that adds some cost to them as comparables understandably.
Before you paint, I'd suggest that you hire a stager. Out here it is $100-$200. I can see why you had few showings based on those photos. They aren't compelling. Meaning there isn't anything there to entice a buyer to come in and see the house.

Out here all brick wouldn't add significant value nor would 5-10 years on the age of a house.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:38 PM

What exactly do you mean by not compelling? Just curious.
Now it is completely empty--is that better?

I'm pretty sure a stager costs more than $200 total--don't you pay by the month?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,708,579 times
Harsh but MO: your colors are blah with some garish exceptions. If I were a buyer, all I could see was the cost and time to repaint the entire house. You have a green sofa wich clashes with the walls altho' you said that's gone now. Paint it a warm beige with white woodwork. The all-blue room could stay.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by not compelling? Just curious.
Now it is completely empty--is that better?

I'm pretty sure a stager costs more than $200 total--don't you pay by the month?
You can pay a stager to walk through your property with you and give you a punch list of things to do to the home to improve the marketability. Out here it is between $100-$200 for the consult.

There is no way to say it but to be harsh, but your color coordination/decor style clashes and is disjointed. It creates an unappealing vibe when you view the photos. My concern for you is that you may make it worse by picking more clashing colors. Some grays have yellow undertones, some have purple undertones, some have green etc. You don't want to pick a gray that has clashing undertones with your carpet and the trim. Whites can also have undertones. If you are going to go through the trouble of painting, get some help to coordinate the paint with your trim and carpet so that it creates a warm feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate