Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

The only feedback that matters is an offer. Ignore everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This.

Why even use the word "excuse"? Are you expecting an offer from every Joe who looks at your house? They don't owe you ANY explanation. Are you going to write an essay for every house you don't like in Delaware?

I didn't even ask for feedback when we sold our house in NY and we must have had 30 showings in 2 weeks. I wanted an offer, and cared about that and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The only feedback that matters is an offer. Ignore everything else.
[sarcasm] Well, OBVIOUSLY, you two don't watch enough HGTV.

A lower offer from someone who kindly gave feedback is worth significantly more than a higher offer from someone who didn't. Feedback is probably worth $3.00--$8.00/SF, depending on the superlative adjectives employed to laud that little loveshack! [/sarcasm]

Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Once sold a home with one bathroom. Cannot tell you how many people looked at the house and said that the one bathroom business was a deal breaker. Why they bothered to look was a mystery to me.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,422 times
To twingles and MikeJ: No I don't expect feedback from everyone who looks at the house. I wouldn't even care if someone didn't leave any. What I do hope is the feedback they do leave makes sense and is constructive and not something that you obviously can't change, like the location and how the outside is built which is obvious from the pictures. Sarcasm not needed. Feedback comes through Showing Time and a simple "buyers thought it was nice, but not quite what they were looking for" would have sufficed.

I do thank those of you for the constructive advice and reasoning. We had another showing today and apparently there is high interest so we shall see what happens.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
To twingles and MikeJ: No I don't expect feedback from everyone who looks at the house. I wouldn't even care if someone didn't leave any. What I do hope is the feedback they do leave makes sense and is constructive and not something that you obviously can't change, like the location and how the outside is built which is obvious from the pictures. Sarcasm not needed. Feedback comes through Showing Time and a simple "buyers thought it was nice, but not quite what they were looking for" would have sufficed.

I do thank those of you for the constructive advice and reasoning. We had another showing today and apparently there is high interest so we shall see what happens.
Sarcasm was not directed at you in any way, and I'm really sorry that I wasn't more clear on that.
I was just fooling around in reference to many common posts from members who misplace inordinate importance on feedback.

I appreciate your frustration, and I think my first response in the thread was meant to be more relevant to your situation.
And, I hope you do well with today's showing.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM

687 posts, read 915,005 times
I can see this house not selling for a long, long time.
Seller obviously has too much financially and emotionally invested in this house to let it go at what the market can bear.

That anger issues can be seen with every post is a telltale sign she knows deep down the price is going to have to be lowered to attract reasonable buyers, and that lower (not necessarily low ball) offers, aka fair offers, are coming down the road since no one has succumbed to asking price. Frustration over this is a good way to shoot oneself in the foot.

Sorry about the surgery going bad. No reason to take it out on the buyers about to make huge financial/life decisions.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 PM

450 posts, read 507,416 times
We got an offer on the last house we sold (which was quite nice with new high-end carpet and hardwood floors and molding, new 30 yr. roof, new AC unit, new paint inside and out, beautiful landscaping etc. etc. But the potential buyer wanted more... The list was so extensive and expensive that we told our agent "We think that buyer would be happier with a new build. The house was priced accordingly. If they want granite counter tops, new cabinets, new windows and such... they should keep looking and expect to pay a lot more". It was the most ridiculous proposal I could imagine...

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
What I do hope is the feedback they do leave makes sense and is constructive and not something that you obviously can't change, like the location and how the outside is built which is obvious from the pictures. .
Sooo, I'm curious (genuinely curious) what kind of feedback you would act on? "We prefer bolder colors/less bold colors" - would that make you paint? I'm not being snarky, I'm just wondering when you say "makes sense and constructive" what is it you'd be looking for?

We have looked at a lot of houses - and yes, we even looked at one-bathroom houses when we preferred two (or at least 1.5) - sometimes you're hoping that everything else about the house will overcome one or two issues, or that the thing that is missing is easily changed. There are so many reasons why people look at houses that don't "check all the boxes" but the biggest is probably that it's in their price point. Your house may be priced fairly, but if there are other houses in that range that offer more "whatever", that's what people are buying.

When we sold our house in NY, we priced it a bit low because we wanted to sell it fast and frankly, we knew what our competition was and wanted to be the house to beat. We were, had 3 offers in two weeks. The other two houses people were bidding on were still for sale a year later. So - whether you've been told you're priced fairly or not - what it all comes down to is what people are willing to pay - period.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Buyers usually have a longer list of criteria than their budget can afford. So they look at anything that might work, even if it doesn't have everything they want. Then when they don't fall in love with the house (which they sometimes do even if it doesn't match what they think they wanted) they pull out their list of criteria and give a few excuses.

Pictures say a lot, but I've seen homes that show WAY better than the pictures, and homes that the pictures were fabulous and the home was AWFUL. The only way to know is to go see it.
I must have been very lucky because I knew exactly what my budget was and what I wanted in a house. I had quite a long list of 'wants' and only two 'cons'. I didn't want carpet or propane. I not only got all I wanted but a few things that never even entered my mind to want. I only looked at three homes but the third one was, indeed, 'the charm' and I'm really jazzed about getting it.

For two years before I bought I haunted the real estate websites...mostly Trulia because I like the way it's put together. I saw those homes that are so cluttered that's all you can see and not what the rooms are really like. Never could understand why they'd show a bedroom with an unmade bed, clothes strewn around and lots of clutter. Then others where the pics are so generic you don't know if it's a bedroom, living room or what. Also found out that no matter the pics you HAVE to visit the physical home to get an idea of what it's really like.

As for the two I didn't like enough to make an offer on...one was just way too old, too small and would be needing a lot of work. The other one wasn't 'that' bad but it had an addition that wasn't permitted AND was right on the borderline of age that I could finance it. (Mfg. homes) It was also too dark inside and I require lots of windows and sunlight, not only for me but my 'jungle' of plants. And it had way too many built-ins that I didn't care for. I don't know what my real estate agent told the sellers.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 AM

86 posts, read 256,462 times
I can understand why the OP is annoyed considering the agent that tromped the 'buyers' through the house already knew the specifics were not what the buyers wanted. It's an aggravating and tedious process - especially in the beginning. You want good news? You have a brand new house that will be waiting for you in April! That is the thing to look forward to. The rest will sort itself out. There are so many 'tire-kickers' out there that you just have to suck it up. It stinks! I like to think that they just don't realize what's involved with responsible sellers - that try to make the house look nice and clean before they arrive - go through for every showing. Yes, you are selling and that is what you have to do to put your best foot forward, but you would think buyers would have a little more consideration for all that. Then again, selling is about business and dealing with the general public. We all know those are the some of the hardest type of jobs.

Let DH do what has to be done and focus on getting yourself back into 'fighting shape' so you can be more viable once you move into your new house. This is the toughest part of moving. I completely understand the aggravation especially when it seems avoidable. Try to ignore it and look forward.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate