Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The only thing is, that if you are going to rent to a lawyer, you need to know your local landlord tenant law, because the lawyer is sure going to know it.
Know it really really well, because they not only know it, they know every loophole.

The reason we decided to write off the expense rather than sue was because we let this lawyer put the rental in his name as [his name], P.A. He said he wanted it listed that way for tax reasons. It was still his name, and I know a lot of real estate agents to whom the letters after their name are a big deal to them, so I stupidly went along with it. Little did I know that by listing it that way, it was technically in a business name. The business has no liability for his personal debts. So we would have to sue his business, rather than him personally, and the business is out of Florida, not Idaho. It got to be too much of a headache. We learned that lesson. No extra initials, no business names, nothing but John & Jane Smith, or whatever. If the words "can I list my name this way" ever come out of another tenant's mouth, I not only will say no, I will refuse to sign the lease with them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
I'm reminded of the story the girl with the curl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
I doubt it makes any difference compared to any other person.

Most lawyers are just boring people with boring office jobs. More like Toby from "The Office" than "Better Call Saul."

Old 02-26-2015, 01:08 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I try not to do any form of business with lawyers. No offense to the lawyers out there, but I have found them difficult and wanting to argue. Like their tolerance to conflict is much higher then mine. And...well the willingness to lie for who ever pays them....
Probably a GREAT lawyer, then! I agree 100%.
It was a GREAT day, in my life, when my son (my only bio child) decided Law wasn't where his heart was and changed his major to Business & Finance! On top of wanting to be a lawyer he had thoughts of Politics! I would NEVER discourage anyone from following their heart, and keeping my mouth closed tightly was difficult, but he just doesn't have that 'heart' to be an attorney....he does like to argue some.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:08 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
In my experience, lawyers tend to think in terms of legality rather than right or wrong. What's legal isn't always right.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Know it really really well, because they not only know it, they know every loophole.

The reason we decided to write off the expense rather than sue was because we let this lawyer put the rental in his name as [his name], P.A. He said he wanted it listed that way for tax reasons. It was still his name, and I know a lot of real estate agents to whom the letters after their name are a big deal to them, so I stupidly went along with it. Little did I know that by listing it that way, it was technically in a business name. The business has no liability for his personal debts. So we would have to sue his business, rather than him personally, and the business is out of Florida, not Idaho. It got to be too much of a headache. We learned that lesson. No extra initials, no business names, nothing but John & Jane Smith, or whatever. If the words "can I list my name this way" ever come out of another tenant's mouth, I not only will say no, I will refuse to sign the lease with them at all.
ARRGH! I hate it when that happens! We all have a story or two in our back pockets of mistakes that we hopefully learned a HARD, but life long lesson from. Although it is always good to have a lawyer in the family somewhere (just in case you need one for advice) I always keep them at a distance. It's, for me, a case of 'keep your enemies closer". I hope it wasn't a huge bite of poo-poo pie that you had to eat! glad you shared it with us, as I learned lot!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
This is somewhat unrelated but gives good "moral of the story" advice.

Years ago I was in a car accident (wreck for those of you in the SW ) and what happened was the guy in front of me stopped, I stopped, and the guy behind me stopped but the fourth car, driven by a lawyer, came barreling into the car behind me, which hit me causing me to hit the car in front of me.

I was injured and very upset and he came up to me and said "I'm really sorry, don't' worry, it was my fault and my insurance will take care of everything". The next day I get a call from my insurance company, and he's changed his tune, he said we all were in the accident before he even came along and he just hit the last car. I couldn't believe it! He was trying to get out of it and blame us - thank god when the police checked with the driver of the first car, he only felt one bump, which was the determining factor and showed that the lawyer was lying.

The moral is that many lawyers know how to re-work things in their favor and will try to, given the opportunity. They are also VERY used to suing so it becomes second nature to them.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
There is a law student in our HOA.... ever few weeks she will message the HOA asking for repairs that are far outside of the scope of the HOA's maintenance responsibilities. It has been explained to her in black and white clearly multiple times along with a letter outlining the maintenance responsibilities based on covenants from the premier HOA law firm in our city. She still doesn't get it.

I would be wary doing business with lawyers to be honest.
Oh I bet that she gets it, but these folks are relentless and hate to lose on ANYTHING! They will argue til the sun shines its last flame and it matters not if in the end they lose or win sometimes, they just love to argue...I mean 'debate' everything in life. In college, when I was really bored, and caught up on all my studies, I used to antagonize my law student buddies over the stupidest things, like which way is BEST to put toilet paper on the roller....just dumb stuff, never legal issues. I guess, in a criminal situation I would want one of them on my side, but I hope that time NEVER comes for me and mine.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Oh I bet that she gets it, but these folks are relentless and hate to lose on ANYTHING! They will argue til the sun shines its last flame and it matters not if in the end they lose or win sometimes, they just love to argue...I mean 'debate' everything in life. In college, when I was really bored, and caught up on all my studies, I used to antagonize my law student buddies over the stupidest things, like which way is BEST to put toilet paper on the roller....just dumb stuff, never legal issues. I guess, in a criminal situation I would want one of them on my side, but I hope that time NEVER comes for me and mine.

We have explained things to her 5-6 times now and even offered for her to come have her points heard before a full HOA meeting. We have explained if she wants those things covered we can amend the covenants to cover them and raise everyone's dues.... crickets... lol

Seriously this is all about some simple interior door weatherstripping on a townhome.

Harvard Business professor incites legal battle over $4 of Chinese takeout

Think of situations like this.... the professor waged a huge battle over $4.00

Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
I married one!

Hahah best thing I ever did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate