Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Depending on how many holes (and how large), it would reflect consideration for your buyers if you at least cleaned the house (including stove/refrigerator if left) and filled the holes in the walls -- plus provided (or used) some matching paint.

Someone will have to do it if you don't ... and they are your holes. Do you imagine the buyers won't notice? Why would you need someone else to tell you not to leave something like that for someone else to deal with?
No duh, dude. Of course I would clean the refrigerator, the stove, and the whole darn house. Seriously, what type of ass do you assume I am? And I've left all the paint cans too.

No, I don't "imagine the buyers won't notice". I'm probably far more anal about things than most buyers. And I don't "need someone else to tell me not to leave something for someone else to do". I just wondered if it is protocol or not... I've known plenty of instances where people did not fill holes due to pictures. I purchased such a home myself. I'll be lucky if the home we're purchasing will have such things taken care of, and frankly while it might be annoying I wouldn't care. What we paid for was the house and the land and that's what we're getting. And for your information, since you took such a preachy tone with me, I was thinking about patching the holes, which are the size of a nailhead. I didn't come here for any sort of direction. Like I said, I just wondered what others do. The consensus is that it's a nice gesture, but it isn't something that I *have* to do. I may not have the time to fill all of them and if I don't, then I don't. They are still getting a pristine, move in ready house that has been kept model home ready from when they first saw it until the closing day.

To the others that just gave me straight, matter-of-fact answers, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No duh, dude. Of course I would clean the refrigerator, the stove, and the whole darn house. Seriously, what type of ass do you assume I am? And I've left all the paint cans too.

No, I don't "imagine the buyers won't notice". I'm probably far more anal about things than most buyers. And I don't "need someone else to tell me not to leave something for someone else to do". I just wondered if it is protocol or not... I've known plenty of instances where people did not fill holes due to pictures. I purchased such a home myself. I'll be lucky if the home we're purchasing will have such things taken care of, and frankly while it might be annoying I wouldn't care. What we paid for was the house and the land and that's what we're getting. And for your information, since you took such a preachy tone with me, I was thinking about patching the holes, which are the size of a nailhead. I didn't come here for any sort of direction. Like I said, I just wondered what others do. The consensus is that it's a nice gesture, but it isn't something that I *have* to do. I may not have the time to fill all of them and if I don't, then I don't. They are still getting a pristine, move in ready house that has been kept model home ready from when they first saw it until the closing day.

To the others that just gave me straight, matter-of-fact answers, thank you.
Sorry, nobody can read your mind, but, you. If you already had your mind made-up that the right thing to do was patch the holes, why did you ask the question?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:23 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Don't do this! Toothpaste is not a building material. It discolors and shrinks over a relatively short time, and paint does not bond to it properly.

So if you want a short term fix to fool a landlord, it may work. If you want a long term way to annoy the next owner, go right ahead. If you want to do things properly, get some spackle or putty and a putty knife from the hardware store.

I would much rather move into a house with holes than move into one with vandalism.
While I don't call it vandalism, I rather I have holes so I can ensure it's done right. I once moved in where the holes are filled with something but it left it not smooth. So we had to go and sand it all down. It was annoying. And wow, people actually use toothpaste?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sorry, nobody can read your mind, but, you. If you already had your mind made-up that the right thing to do was patch the holes, why did you ask the question?
I obviously didn't totally make my mind up. I said that I was thinking about it. Yes, patching the holes would be a nice gesture, but if I don't patch all of the holes up, I'm not doing anything wrong either. I repeat-what I learned from this thread is that it isn't protocol but a nice gesture. Nice gestures are just that, nice gestures.

BTW, I am not good at spackling and I don't want to make things look worse so I'd have to hire at least a handyman to do all of the holes in the house.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I obviously didn't totally make my mind up. I said that I was thinking about it. Yes, patching the holes would be a nice gesture, but if I don't patch all of the holes up, I'm not doing anything wrong either. I repeat-what I learned from this thread is that it isn't protocol but a nice gesture. Nice gestures are just that, nice gestures.

BTW, I am not good at spackling and I don't want to make things look worse so I'd have to hire at least a handyman to do all of the holes in the house.
Spackling small holes is incredibly easy. Take a bit in the putty knife, smear it into the hole, use the knife to smooth and grab excess spackle in one motion.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, go with your gut and simply leave it as is. I have never purchased a house with patched holes, although my experience is limited to three.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:01 PM

450 posts, read 507,464 times
We patched all holes properly (even in rental properties before we were owners). In the apartments or homes we rented over the years, we didn't have access to the matching paint, but we patched them anyways (and did it right - no toothpaste).

The last couple houses we owned and sold, we not only patched, but repainted. And if necessary - we repainted entire walls to make any of the larger holes (such as the ones left from mounting large-screen tv's. It wasn't necessary to do so because the fact that they were "fixtures" that we were removing was disclosed in the contract. But the gesture made it easier for the buyer to walk in with his/her new house keys and not have to worry about it. All of our left-over paint was also left for the buyer as were some gardening items that were essential to some of the landscaping.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Spackling small holes is incredibly easy. Take a bit in the putty knife, smear it into the hole, use the knife to smooth and grab excess spackle in one motion.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, go with your gut and simply leave it as is. I have never purchased a house with patched holes, although my experience is limited to three.
I guess I just don't want it looking like an obvious amateur patch job. Especially considering the walls are really nice and professionally painted.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
...And wow, people actually use toothpaste?
When people want those minty-fresh walls, I guess. Also, helps prevent cavities in walls....

Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
When people want those minty-fresh walls, I guess. Also, helps prevent cavities in walls....
Lol

Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Wall cavities can be a big problem...but I'm pretty sure that the toothpaste suggestion was made in jest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate